Can i lose weight by bikeriding 30 mins twice a day?

worldgod

Dec 20, 2003
HELLO ALL:

I would like to know if it's possible to lose weight and increase my metabolic rate by bikeriding in my stationary bicycle twice a day for 30 mins each session for 6-9 days in a row and then resting 1-2 days and then re-starting the cycle?

Thanx all and i would like your comments

worldgod

depends. Generally speaking, you lose weight by eating less than you burn. If you ride once a day or even once every 2 days and you eat less than you burn overall, you will lose weight.

If you ride 2, 3 or 4 times a day but you eat way more than you burn, you will not lose weight. It's not magic.

During my competitive years that was how I would lean out for bodybuilding compeititions.

Starting about 20 weeks out I would start with one 45 minute session of cardio a day and increase to two 45 minute sessions a day about 10 weeks out and then drop back to one 45 minute session a day in the last few weeks if I were at my goal weight / bodyfat percentage.

I would typically drop from an offseason bodyfat level of 15% down to around 4% +/-. Typically I could not hold 4% for more than a couple of weeks with a negative impact. My intensity level during cardio was low to moderate in order to maintain lean mass.

Time constraints and keeping my metabolism speeding along were the two reasons that I would do two sessions.

These days I like doing one interval training session with the cardio equipment like the StairMaster Step Mill (rotating stair case that will kick butt).

As Frank stated what you consume is highly important for weight loss.
My meal plan is ranked number one on my training agenda.

Hey my friend: One thing to point out is that even though some foods are considered to be low fat and diet, they can be fattening if we eat more than usual, for example, some days i eat too much fruits like pineapples, apples, cantaloupes etc. which are good but if we eat too many we can even gain weight,

thanx for your reply

worldgod

Felt_Rider said:
During my competitive years that was how I would lean out for bodybuilding compeititions.

Starting about 20 weeks out I would start with one 45 minute session of cardio a day and increase to two 45 minute sessions a day about 10 weeks out and then drop back to one 45 minute session a day in the last few weeks if I were at my goal weight / bodyfat percentage.

I would typically drop from an offseason bodyfat level of 15% down to around 4% +/-. Typically I could not hold 4% for more than a couple of weeks with a negative impact. My intensity level during cardio was low to moderate in order to maintain lean mass.

Time constraints and keeping my metabolism speeding along were the two reasons that I would do two sessions.

These days I like doing one interval training session with the cardio equipment like the StairMaster Step Mill (rotating stair case that will kick butt).

As Frank stated what you consume is highly important for weight loss.
My meal plan is ranked number one on my training agenda.

Hello: that's right and the amount of food we eat is VERY IMPORTANT, i haven't been too strict lately and this is why i haven't been able to lose and some times even get bloated cuz i gotta have more will power to combat hunger

thanx

worldgod

FrankBattle said:
depends. Generally speaking, you lose weight by eating less than you burn. If you ride once a day or even once every 2 days and you eat less than you burn overall, you will lose weight.

If you ride 2, 3 or 4 times a day but you eat way more than you burn, you will not lose weight. It's not magic.

worldgod said:
HELLO ALL:

I would like to know if it's possible to lose weight and increase my metabolic rate by bikeriding in my stationary bicycle twice a day for 30 mins each session for 6-9 days in a row and then resting 1-2 days and then re-starting the cycle?

Thanx all and i would like your comments

worldgod
What my HR monitor tells me, I'm consuming from 400 kcal/hour (easy riding) to 1200 kcal/hour (full effort) when cycling. And after a workout, maybe ~100 kcal more until the HR has dropped down, or monitor taken away, whichever happens first... But those are my figures, yours may be different depending on your physical condition. So yes, it's possible to lose weight, assuming you don't eat more than you consume.

worldgod said:
Hello: that's right and the amount of food we eat is VERY IMPORTANT, i haven't been too strict lately and this is why i haven't been able to lose and some times even get bloated cuz i gotta have more will power to combat hunger

Eating lowfat everything it was only over the past year or so getting super obsessive over counting grammes of protein/carbs/fat (weighing stuff) rather than just calories that I discovered the importance of getting a small but deliberate amount of good fats in the diet.. I found going from ~10% (the result of 'lipophobic' low-fat rules of thumb) to ~15% calories from fat mades the same number of calories much more filling. I had no problem feeling energetic enough to cycle 30 miles on a 2000kcal intake (yes there were hunger pangs but no lethargic starvation feeling) ; it did mean writing everything down to be precise.
Porridge / brocoli / tuna / chicken are my favourite foods.
I actually find fruit comparatively empty feeling and counter productive, suprisingly.

Hello all: The thing is that i suffer from hypothyroidism and slow metabolism so i gotta watch the amount of foods i eat in the day

worldgod

ebola said:
Eating lowfat everything it was only over the past year or so getting super obsessive over counting grammes of protein/carbs/fat (weighing stuff) rather than just calories that I discovered the importance of getting a small but deliberate amount of good fats in the diet.. I found going from ~10% (the result of 'lipophobic' low-fat rules of thumb) to ~15% calories from fat mades the same number of calories much more filling. I had no problem feeling energetic enough to cycle 30 miles on a 2000kcal intake (yes there were hunger pangs but no lethargic starvation feeling) ; it did mean writing everything down to be precise.
I actually find fruit comparatively empty feeling and counter productive, suprisingly.

ebola said:
I practice along the same lines as your post.

I have a good number of fat calories from flax seeds/oil, extra virgin olive oil (cold), fish oil and other various small servings from seeds and nuts. These type of fats have proven to be very beneficial and I have also found it easier to lose weight with these fats in my diet. The latest craze in my house is using coconut oil (which is really more like a hardened wax than an oil). The coconut oil is said to contain MCT.

I try my best to minimize fats from animal proteins by selecting lean meats and trimming any visible excess.

My carb sources are generally rated lower on the GI (glycemic Index) unless I am doing longer duration of cardio or cycling.

My sources are:
Sweet Potato
Oatmeal
Pasta (Barilla) (additional info)
Vegetables
Fruit (minimal - typically only apples)
Bread (whole grain without perservatives)

After Saturday cycling I have whatever I want until I go to bed. :)

worldgod said:
Hello all: The thing is that i suffer from hypothyroidism and slow metabolism so i gotta watch the amount of foods i eat in the day

worldgod
The fact that you suffer from a metabolic disorder means that the usual rules don'rt apply. What does your doctor say and are you taking anything for it?
If you have two half-hour slots, and your goal is to raise your metabolic rate and lose fat, spend one riding and the other doing resistance work.

Dondare said:
The fact that you suffer from a metabolic disorder means that the usual rules don'rt apply. What does your doctor say and are you taking anything for it?
If you have two half-hour slots, and your goal is to raise your metabolic rate and lose fat, spend one riding and the other doing resistance work.
I have the same problem and my endocrinologist said that bicycling a half hour every day, watching caloric intake, and losing 1-2 pounds a week, I should get the job done. If not, I should have a resting metabolic rate done. I take 137 mcg of Synthroid every day.

Before the weather got nasty, I was doing fine.

Bottom Line- Energy in verus energy out. If you eat more then you work off, you'll gain weight. No ifs ands or buts about it.
What I've learned is that its most important to stay on a plan that's flexable and isn't too intense. Personally, two 30min workouts a day sound fine as long as you keep the intensity up.

HEY MY DEAR FRIEND FROM THIS FORUM:

I can identfy with u very much. I've suffered from: easy weight gain, slow metabolic rate problems, water-retention problems (which is related to slow metabolism) and hypothyroidism problems ever since i was born.

And living in a capitalist world doesn't help much either cuz in this hypocritical capitalist systems health, nutrition and biological perfection is not in the highest values of this system only profiteering, which means that the capitalist doctors won't cure us, they only care for their personal profits. Which means that in a way we have to almost cure ourselves by reading good books on health and obesity, sports, self help etc.

write me to [email protected] or [email protected] if u wanna keep talking about hypothyroidism and weight loss dieting

take care

worldgod

ptlwp said:
I have the same problem and my endocrinologist said that bicycling a half hour every day, watching caloric intake, and losing 1-2 pounds a week, I should get the job done. If not, I should have a resting metabolic rate done. I take 137 mcg of Synthroid every day.

Before the weather got nasty, I was doing fine.

I ride twice a day once in the morning, and then again in the evening around my neighborhood, for about 40-50 minutes. Yesterday (June 26 2013) marked my one week that I've been riding, I started out at around 215-220 pounds and now I'm down to 201, I'm not watching what I eat, but I am watching how much I eat. So yaw I'll say you can, it's working for me and I'm riding twice a day.

I hope this helps good luck

Originally Posted by CandraJ .

I ride twice a day once in the morning, and then again in the evening around my neighborhood, for about 40-50 minutes. Yesterday (June 26 2013) marked my one week that I've been riding, I started out at around 215-220 pounds and now I'm down to 201, I'm not watching what I eat, but I am watching how much I eat. So yaw I'll say you can, it's working for me and I'm riding twice a day.

You managed to lose 15lbs in two days?

Losing 14-19 pounds in one week is a lot and in fact may be too much to lose in that period. Make sure you are drinking enough fluids and staying hydrated. Likewise, be sure to eat sensibly.

I'm sorry Limerickman, I'll explain. I started riding my bike last Wednesday watch was June 19 and yesterday watch was Wednesday June 26 also marked my one week that I've been riding. So since June 19th all the way to June 26 I've lost 15lbs all in one week.

Sorry for the confusion

Originally Posted by limerickman .

You managed to lose 15lbs in two days?
I'm sorry Limerickman, I'll explain. I started riding my bike last Wednesday watch was June 19 and yesterday watch was Wednesday June 26 also marked my one week that I've been riding. So since June 19th all the way to June 26 I've lost 15lbs all in one week.

Sorry for the confusion

That kind of rapid weight loss will be mostly water, its also a hell of a lot to lose in a week.

Sorry for the confusion
Ok thanks for clearing that up.

15lbs weight loss in one week is still huge as others here have already said.

Personally I think it's dangerous to be losing that amount of weight in that short time frame, although I can understand how one might feel
proud of having lost that amount so quickly.
That's over 2 stone in body weight off a person who isn't hugely overweight.