Can I make fudge with this?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Darkginger, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Darkginger

    Darkginger Guest

    I have a craving for fudge (preferably chocolate), but can't find a recipe
    which uses the ingredients I have, which are:

    Organic 70% cocoa solids chocolate Skimmed milk Double cream Butter Sugar (dark brown, pale
    brown or white)

    I'm sure there's a fudge in there somewhere, can anyone help me find it? Before anyone asks, no, I
    don't have any evaporated milk in the house, the shops are now shut, and I'm two weeks into stopping
    smoking which is why this craving has to be satisfied - it's better than breaking my quit!

    Jo

    ---

  2. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Darkginger wrote:
    > I have a craving for fudge (preferably chocolate), but can't find a recipe which uses the
    > ingredients I have, which are:
    >
    > Organic 70% cocoa solids chocolate Skimmed milk Double cream Butter Sugar (dark brown, pale brown
    > or white)
    >
    > I'm sure there's a fudge in there somewhere, can anyone help me find it? Before anyone asks,
    > no, I don't have any evaporated milk in the house, the shops are now shut, and I'm two weeks
    > into stopping smoking which is why this craving has to be satisfied - it's better than breaking
    > my quit!
    >
    > Jo

    I'm not sure eating fudge is a solution to quitting smoking, but hey, whatever :)

    I believe you can melt the butter, add the sugar (white) and heat with a little water until
    thoroughly dissolved. Stir it constantly. Then stir in the cream and the chocolate until melted and
    incorporated... stir, stir, stir. Do you have a candy thermometer? You want this to cook to soft
    ball stage, IIRC. Maybe 200F degrees. t's been so many years since I made candy/fudge but I used to
    be good at it :) Good luck!

    Jill

  3. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Darkginger wrote:
    > I have a craving for fudge (preferably chocolate), but can't find a recipe which uses the
    > ingredients I have, which are:
    >
    > Organic 70% cocoa solids chocolate Skimmed milk Double cream Butter Sugar (dark brown, pale brown
    > or white)
    >
    > I'm sure there's a fudge in there somewhere, can anyone help me find it? Before anyone asks,
    > no, I don't have any evaporated milk in the house, the shops are now shut, and I'm two weeks
    > into stopping smoking which is why this craving has to be satisfied - it's better than breaking
    > my quit!
    >
    > Jo

    I'd use about 3 ounces of the sweetened dark chocolate. Use the skim milk, with a shot of cream
    added to make it look like whole milk. You can leave out the corn syrup if you don't have it, but it
    might make the fudge grainy. Do you have any powdered dextrose? If so, use some of that to replace a
    little of the sugar and then you can leave out the corn syrup.

    Best regards, Bob

    Old Fashioned Fudge (Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)

    2 cups sugar
    3/4 cup milk 2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, cut up 1 teaspoon light corn syrup 2
    tablespoons butter or margarine 1 teaspoon vanilla
    4/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts

    Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it, combine suggar, milk, chocolate, corn syrup, and
    dash salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar disolves and mixture comes to a boil. Continue
    cooking to 234ºF (soft-ball stage), stirring only as needed to prevent sticking (mixture should boil
    gently over entire surface) Immediately remove from heat; add butter but do not stir. Cool, without
    stirring to lukewarm (110ºF), for 30 to 40 minutes. Add vanilla and nuts. Beat vigorously for 7 to
    10 minutes or until fudge becomes very thick and loses its gloss.

    Immediately spread into a buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Score into squares while warm; cut when
    firm. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.

  4. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > Darkginger wrote:
    >
    >>I have a craving for fudge (preferably chocolate), but can't find a recipe which uses the
    >>ingredients I have, which are:
    >>
    >>Organic 70% cocoa solids chocolate Skimmed milk Double cream Butter Sugar (dark brown, pale brown
    >>or white)
    >>
    >>I'm sure there's a fudge in there somewhere, can anyone help me find it? Before anyone asks,
    >>no, I don't have any evaporated milk in the house, the shops are now shut, and I'm two weeks
    >>into stopping smoking which is why this craving has to be satisfied - it's better than breaking
    >>my quit!
    >>
    >>Jo
    >>

    > I'm not sure eating fudge is a solution to quitting smoking, but hey, whatever :)
    >
    > I believe you can melt the butter, add the sugar (white) and heat with a little water until
    > thoroughly dissolved. Stir it constantly. Then stir in the cream and the chocolate until melted
    > and incorporated... stir, stir, stir. Do you have a candy thermometer? You want this to cook to
    > soft ball stage, IIRC. Maybe 200F degrees. t's been so many years since I made candy/fudge but I
    > used to be good at it :) Good luck!
    >
    > Jill

    230-something degrees. 235, I think.

    Once it reaches 220, do not stir until it has cooled to the low 100's or it will be grainy. It's
    like making boiled fondant with chocolate in it.

    Bob

  5. The Cook

    The Cook Guest

    "Darkginger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a craving for fudge (preferably chocolate), but can't find a recipe which uses the
    >ingredients I have, which are:
    >
    >Organic 70% cocoa solids chocolate Skimmed milk Double cream Butter Sugar (dark brown, pale brown
    >or white)
    >
    >I'm sure there's a fudge in there somewhere, can anyone help me find it? Before anyone asks, no, I
    >don't have any evaporated milk in the house, the shops are now shut, and I'm two weeks into
    >stopping smoking which is why this craving has to be satisfied - it's better than breaking my quit!
    >
    >Jo

    Here is an old fashioned recipe. I made it last week (first time in years) and it was very good. I
    used Baker's chocolate.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Chocolate Fudge

    Recipe By : Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Candy

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 cups sugar 1 cup water
    1/4 pound chocolate, unsweetened
    2/4 pound butter 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

    Put water and chocolate into pan. Let it come to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent burning.

    When the mixture thickens, add sugar. Stir occasionally until the mixture again comes to a boil.
    When it reaches the soft ball stage, add vanilla.

    Remove from heat. Drop in butter. When lukewarm, beat until it loses it gloss or your arm is ready
    to fall off.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    - -

    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 156 Calories; 6g Fat (35.0% calories from fat); 1g Protein;
    26g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 10mg Cholesterol; 40mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0
    Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0

    --
    Susan N.

    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

  6. BillKirch

    BillKirch Guest

    >Maybe 200F degrees. t's been so many years since I made

    ##############
    actually 234..but turn the heat off at 232

  7. Denise~*

    Denise~* Guest

    I don't know about you, but Alton Browns Brownie recipe is RICH. Of course it isn't Fudge, but
    tasted *VERY* chocolatey. The richest brownies I ever tasted.

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:50:40 -0000, "Darkginger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a craving for fudge (preferably chocolate), but can't find a recipe which uses the
    >ingredients I have, which are:
    >
    >Organic 70% cocoa solids chocolate Skimmed milk Double cream Butter Sugar (dark brown, pale brown
    >or white)
    >
    >I'm sure there's a fudge in there somewhere, can anyone help me find it? Before anyone asks, no, I
    >don't have any evaporated milk in the house, the shops are now shut, and I'm two weeks into
    >stopping smoking which is why this craving has to be satisfied - it's better than breaking my quit!
    >
    >Jo
    >

    >---

    Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

    How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?

  8. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    BillKirch wrote:
    >>Once it reaches 220, do not stir until it has cooled to the low 100's or it will be grainy.
    >

    > ################# very important...then whip it
    > good BG

    I wonder if you could make fudge by cooking sugar and water to 235 degrees, add a tablespoon of
    butter, and let it cool to about 130 degrees without stirring. Meanwhile, chop 1/4 pound of
    chocolate in a food processor and add 1/2 tsp vanilla. Pour the almost-hot syrup into the the food
    processor and process until smooth.

    Do you think it would work, or would it make a huge mess?

    Best regards, Bob

  9. Darkginger

    Darkginger Guest

    zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote

    > 230-something degrees. 235, I think.
    >
    > Once it reaches 220, do not stir until it has cooled to the low 100's or
    it
    > will be grainy. It's like making boiled fondant with chocolate in it.

    Many thanks to yourself, Jill & Susan. Off to attempt fudge creation now. I don't care if I gain
    30lbs, so long as I stay off the cigs. I'm beginning to discover my tastebuds again! (After 30 years
    of smothering them). This is the first spring I've smelled since the 70s, and it's a revelation. I'm
    also beginning to identify with whoever it was who said that his main discovery after quitting
    smoking was that he'd been eating an awful lot of foods he didn't like!

    Thanks again

    Jo

    ---