Can I make fudge with this?

Darkginger

Guest
I have a craving for fudge (preferably chocolate), but can't find a recipe
which uses the ingredients I have, which are:

Organic 70% cocoa solids chocolate Skimmed milk Double cream Butter Sugar (dark brown, pale
brown or white)

I'm sure there's a fudge in there somewhere, can anyone help me find it? Before anyone asks, no, I
don't have any evaporated milk in the house, the shops are now shut, and I'm two weeks into stopping
smoking which is why this craving has to be satisfied - it's better than breaking my quit!

Jo

---

Darkginger wrote:
> I have a craving for fudge (preferably chocolate), but can't find a recipe which uses the
> ingredients I have, which are:
>
> Organic 70% cocoa solids chocolate Skimmed milk Double cream Butter Sugar (dark brown, pale brown
> or white)
>
> I'm sure there's a fudge in there somewhere, can anyone help me find it? Before anyone asks,
> no, I don't have any evaporated milk in the house, the shops are now shut, and I'm two weeks
> into stopping smoking which is why this craving has to be satisfied - it's better than breaking
> my quit!
>
> Jo

I'm not sure eating fudge is a solution to quitting smoking, but hey, whatever :)

I believe you can melt the butter, add the sugar (white) and heat with a little water until
thoroughly dissolved. Stir it constantly. Then stir in the cream and the chocolate until melted and
incorporated... stir, stir, stir. Do you have a candy thermometer? You want this to cook to soft
ball stage, IIRC. Maybe 200F degrees. t's been so many years since I made candy/fudge but I used to
be good at it :) Good luck!

Jill

Darkginger wrote:
> I have a craving for fudge (preferably chocolate), but can't find a recipe which uses the
> ingredients I have, which are:
>
> Organic 70% cocoa solids chocolate Skimmed milk Double cream Butter Sugar (dark brown, pale brown
> or white)
>
> I'm sure there's a fudge in there somewhere, can anyone help me find it? Before anyone asks,
> no, I don't have any evaporated milk in the house, the shops are now shut, and I'm two weeks
> into stopping smoking which is why this craving has to be satisfied - it's better than breaking
> my quit!
>
> Jo

I'd use about 3 ounces of the sweetened dark chocolate. Use the skim milk, with a shot of cream
added to make it look like whole milk. You can leave out the corn syrup if you don't have it, but it
might make the fudge grainy. Do you have any powdered dextrose? If so, use some of that to replace a
little of the sugar and then you can leave out the corn syrup.

Best regards, Bob

Old Fashioned Fudge (Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)

2 cups sugar
3/4 cup milk 2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, cut up 1 teaspoon light corn syrup 2
tablespoons butter or margarine 1 teaspoon vanilla
4/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts

Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it, combine suggar, milk, chocolate, corn syrup, and
dash salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar disolves and mixture comes to a boil. Continue
cooking to 234ºF (soft-ball stage), stirring only as needed to prevent sticking (mixture should boil
gently over entire surface) Immediately remove from heat; add butter but do not stir. Cool, without
stirring to lukewarm (110ºF), for 30 to 40 minutes. Add vanilla and nuts. Beat vigorously for 7 to
10 minutes or until fudge becomes very thick and loses its gloss.

Immediately spread into a buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Score into squares while warm; cut when
firm. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.

jmcquown wrote:

> Darkginger wrote:
>
>>I have a craving for fudge (preferably chocolate), but can't find a recipe which uses the
>>ingredients I have, which are:
>>
>>Organic 70% cocoa solids chocolate Skimmed milk Double cream Butter Sugar (dark brown, pale brown
>>or white)
>>
>>I'm sure there's a fudge in there somewhere, can anyone help me find it? Before anyone asks,
>>no, I don't have any evaporated milk in the house, the shops are now shut, and I'm two weeks
>>into stopping smoking which is why this craving has to be satisfied - it's better than breaking
>>my quit!
>>
>>Jo
>>

> I'm not sure eating fudge is a solution to quitting smoking, but hey, whatever :)
>
> I believe you can melt the butter, add the sugar (white) and heat with a little water until
> thoroughly dissolved. Stir it constantly. Then stir in the cream and the chocolate until melted
> and incorporated... stir, stir, stir. Do you have a candy thermometer? You want this to cook to
> soft ball stage, IIRC. Maybe 200F degrees. t's been so many years since I made candy/fudge but I
> used to be good at it :) Good luck!
>
> Jill

230-something degrees. 235, I think.

Once it reaches 220, do not stir until it has cooled to the low 100's or it will be grainy. It's
like making boiled fondant with chocolate in it.

Bob

"Darkginger" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a craving for fudge (preferably chocolate), but can't find a recipe which uses the
>ingredients I have, which are:
>
>Organic 70% cocoa solids chocolate Skimmed milk Double cream Butter Sugar (dark brown, pale brown
>or white)
>
>I'm sure there's a fudge in there somewhere, can anyone help me find it? Before anyone asks, no, I
>don't have any evaporated milk in the house, the shops are now shut, and I'm two weeks into
>stopping smoking which is why this craving has to be satisfied - it's better than breaking my quit!
>
>Jo

Here is an old fashioned recipe. I made it last week (first time in years) and it was very good. I
used Baker's chocolate.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Fudge

Recipe By : Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Candy

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 cups sugar 1 cup water
1/4 pound chocolate, unsweetened
2/4 pound butter 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Put water and chocolate into pan. Let it come to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent burning.

When the mixture thickens, add sugar. Stir occasionally until the mixture again comes to a boil.
When it reaches the soft ball stage, add vanilla.

Remove from heat. Drop in butter. When lukewarm, beat until it loses it gloss or your arm is ready
to fall off.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 156 Calories; 6g Fat (35.0% calories from fat); 1g Protein;
26g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 10mg Cholesterol; 40mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

>Maybe 200F degrees. t's been so many years since I made

##############
actually 234..but turn the heat off at 232

I don't know about you, but Alton Browns Brownie recipe is RICH. Of course it isn't Fudge, but
tasted *VERY* chocolatey. The richest brownies I ever tasted.

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:50:40 -0000, "Darkginger" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a craving for fudge (preferably chocolate), but can't find a recipe which uses the
>ingredients I have, which are:
>
>Organic 70% cocoa solids chocolate Skimmed milk Double cream Butter Sugar (dark brown, pale brown
>or white)
>
>I'm sure there's a fudge in there somewhere, can anyone help me find it? Before anyone asks, no, I
>don't have any evaporated milk in the house, the shops are now shut, and I'm two weeks into
>stopping smoking which is why this craving has to be satisfied - it's better than breaking my quit!
>
>Jo
>

>---

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?

BillKirch wrote:
>>Once it reaches 220, do not stir until it has cooled to the low 100's or it will be grainy.
>

> ################# very important...then whip it
> good BG

I wonder if you could make fudge by cooking sugar and water to 235 degrees, add a tablespoon of
butter, and let it cool to about 130 degrees without stirring. Meanwhile, chop 1/4 pound of
chocolate in a food processor and add 1/2 tsp vanilla. Pour the almost-hot syrup into the the food
processor and process until smooth.

Do you think it would work, or would it make a huge mess?

Best regards, Bob

zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote

> 230-something degrees. 235, I think.
>
> Once it reaches 220, do not stir until it has cooled to the low 100's or
it
> will be grainy. It's like making boiled fondant with chocolate in it.

Many thanks to yourself, Jill & Susan. Off to attempt fudge creation now. I don't care if I gain
30lbs, so long as I stay off the cigs. I'm beginning to discover my tastebuds again! (After 30 years
of smothering them). This is the first spring I've smelled since the 70s, and it's a revelation. I'm
also beginning to identify with whoever it was who said that his main discovery after quitting
smoking was that he'd been eating an awful lot of foods he didn't like!

Thanks again

Jo

---