Can I make Tahini?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jude, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. Jude

    Jude Guest

    I'm out of tahini, and I roasted up more eggplant than I need for the
    yummy penne with egg[lant and ricotta recipe someone posted a few weeks
    ago.......I though I would make some babaghanoush with the extra
    eggplant, but I seem to be all out of tahini. Anyone ever made it
    before by pulverizing sesame seeds in a food processor or mortar and
    pestle or something? I'm flying by the seat f my pants
    here....otherwise the leftover eggplant will end up in a pasta salad, I
    guess.

    Tags:

  2. Jude wrote:
    > I'm out of tahini, and I roasted up more eggplant than I need for the
    > yummy penne with egg[lant and ricotta recipe someone posted a few weeks
    > ago.......I though I would make some babaghanoush with the extra
    > eggplant, but I seem to be all out of tahini. Anyone ever made it
    > before by pulverizing sesame seeds in a food processor or mortar and
    > pestle or something? I'm flying by the seat f my pants
    > here....otherwise the leftover eggplant will end up in a pasta salad, I
    > guess.

    I don't usually use store-bought tahini, but keep a jar of slightly
    toasted sesame seeds in my pantry. To make baba ghanouj or hummus, I
    just start with the sesame seeds in the food processor and when they
    seem sufficiently powdered I add the rest of the ingredients for the
    dish and continue processing.

    Hope this helps.

  3. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Jude wrote:
    > I'm out of tahini,

    http://www.ochef.com/235.htm

    No big deal to make your own but I don't think there is any monetary
    savings... you'll need a lot of sesame seed to make the equivalent
    amount pricewise of ready made.... may even be less expensive to just
    buy a tin.

    Sheldon

  4. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Sheldon wrote:

    > No big deal to make your own but I don't think there is any monetary
    > savings... you'll need a lot of sesame seed to make the equivalent
    > amount pricewise of ready made.... may even be less expensive to just
    > buy a tin.
    >
    > Sheldon

    Yeah, I was just trying to save myself a trip to the store this
    morning. Usually I have a jar in the fridge but today I'm out.

    Thanks for the link, its a good one!