Can I modify my current bike to make it suitable for light touring?

Cranky Rider

Jun 6, 2011
I currently ride a 1994 Trek 2200 (which I love) but now I want to do an 11 day ride in France this fall. All I need to carry is my clothes, any chance of making some mods to make my racer more suited for the trip?

Assuming your bike is set up and reliable for long one-day road rides, all you really need to add for light (motel) touring is a rear rack, small panniers and a trunk pack. I use the classic Blackburn Mtn Rack. My bike doesn't have mounting eyelets on the dropouts, but cable clamps around the bottom of the seatstays do a fine job securing the rack.

you have a better chance of having mounting eyelets on a 1994 Trek bike than you would in newer models,
if it is only clothing and you pack smartly you won't surpass 10 kilograms,
many racks can hold that weight without problems,

Good to know. I did mount a rear rack when i started commuting by bicycle, so now I guess I just need to go find some small panniers and figure out how much I can pack in 10 Kgms.

Originally Posted by Cranky Rider .

I currently ride a 1994 Trek 2200 (which I love) but now I want to do an 11 day ride in France this fall. All I need to carry is my clothes, any chance of making some mods to make my racer more suited for the trip?
If you are going on a VBT-type tour, then you only need a handlebar bag ... but, you may as well use the bike they provide ([COLOR= #808080]bring your own pedals[/COLOR]) ...

If you are planning on a self-supported tour, then I reckon that taking your Trek may result in a disappointing trip ...

The biggest drawback which you will probably encounter is the length of the chain stays on your Trek ... I presume are on the short side if you want to use Panniers AND the result will be your heels probably making contact with the front of the Panniers with each pedal stroke.

I presume that the current gearing on your Trek will not be suitable for the terrain unless you don't anticipate any elevation changes ...

If you feel compelled to bringing a bike, then consider a different frame/fork + temporarily cannibalizing the components from your Trek to use on it ...

• an 8-speed Shimano cassette has essentially the same cog spacing as an 8-speed Campagnolo casssette ... so, if you must, then consider getting a Shimano rear "wheel" + a 12-28 or 12-30 8-speed SRAM (!?!) cassette. The hub offset is different ([COLOR= #808080]i.e., Campagnolo's driveside flange is closer to the center of the axle[/COLOR]), so the high-low stops need to be changed AND the indexing tweaked, accordingly.

Bon Voyage!

panniers are not necessary.

I toured with an 80's Vitus road bike. Lightweight rack held on with hose/cable clamps. Packed my gear, clothes sleeping bag and bivy sack, in dry sacks and used bungees to hold it all together.

Gearing is easy to change.

---

It is a one time trip cheaper to spend money on a hotel or good food rather than on fancy packaging.

Hi Cranky Rider, you could also have a look at the Ortlieb Saddle Bags.

I think they can be as large as 20 litres ... that should be large enough :)

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

panniers are not necessary.

I toured with an 80's Vitus road bike. Lightweight rack held on with hose/cable clamps. Packed my gear, clothes sleeping bag and bivy sack, in dry sacks and used bungees to hold it all together.

Gearing is easy to change.

---

It is a one time trip cheaper to spend money on a hotel or good food rather than on fancy packaging.

Agree nothing fancy is required. First time I just used a small gym bag bungied to my rear rack, it worked fine as well, but just for clothes. Getting the camping gear on might be a bit tougher. On this latest trip, my friends loaned me some old small Cannondale pannier bags which worked fine for five days of rails-to-trails riding and motel nights in MN.

My bike already has a triple, so no need to change gearing. The extra weight is noticeable of course, but on touring/multi-day rides I try to take it slow and enjoy the new scenery anyway.