Can I put my D/A 9 rear wheel on my D/A 10 bike?

DanP

Oct 5, 2003
Looking to test the wheels that are on my road bike (D/A 9) with my new tri bike (D/A 10).

Can I get away with just slapping the complete rear wheel & 9 cog cassette into the Tri bike, or do I absolutely need to install the 10 spd cassette?

I do have the tools but I suck at this so trying to take the quicker road, which would also allow me to change wheels more often.

Thought I could get away with it because of the Tri bike being non-STI, but then again I'm really ignorant in this area.

So, can I do this?

DanP said:
Looking to test the wheels that are on my road bike (D/A 9) with my new tri bike (D/A 10).

Can I get away with just slapping the complete rear wheel & 9 cog cassette into the Tri bike, or do I absolutely need to install the 10 spd cassette?

I do have the tools but I suck at this so trying to take the quicker road, which would also allow me to change wheels more often.

Thought I could get away with it because of the Tri bike being non-STI, but then again I'm really ignorant in this area.

So, can I do this?
9 speed spacing is 4.34,and 10 is 3.95. I'd do it right and switch the casette.

Depends on what 7800 cassette you use and what model of DA wheels you have but in most cases, you can.

From Shimano:

The new 10-speed cassettes will be compatible with WH-7701, WH-7701-Carbon, and WH-R540* when used with a thin washer supplied with the aftermarket cassettes. In addition, you can only use the 12-25 &12-27 CS-7800 cassettes with the WH-7700 and WH-7700-Carbon wheels

*Note: The 11-21 CS-7800 cassette combination will not be compatible with the WH-R540. All other ratios will work just fine.

Hmm, maybe I should clarify:

* My road bike has Ksyrium SL wheels with a D/A 9, 12/25 cassette
* My Tri bike has Velomax Vista wheels with D/A 10, 12/23 cassette

Probably extremely basic questions but help me understand:

I assume that at the hub the width of both wheels with cassettes is identical, so it is not a fit issue.

So if I put the Ksyrium D/A 9 onto my Tri bike, where is the trouble spot?

* Is it the chain length, or rear derailer (sp?) tolerance?

* Is it that the non-STI shifter can't manage the different spacing, and if so why, isn't this a simple linear shifter?

* Something else?

Thanks!

DanP said:

I assume that at the hub the width of both wheels with cassettes is identical, so it is not a fit issue.

* Is it that the non-STI shifter can't manage the different spacing, and if so why, isn't this a simple linear shifter?

* Something else?

Thanks!
Just some thoughts. The 10 speed cassette will work with the 9 speed hub but not vice versa (the spline depth of the 9 cassette won't work on the 10 free hub, or so I'm told). I swap cassettes all the time and it literally takes about 2 minutes as long as you have the proper cassette tool and a chain whip. Plus, its good to keep the same chain and cassette in sync. A new chain works fine with a used cassette but an older chain can wear a new cassette prematurely. Good luck.
Pete
:cool:

DanP said:

* Something else?

Thanks!
It's not a matter of being STI or not - it's the COG SPACING that matters. Indexing systems move the RD by a defined distance DEPENDING ON THE NUMBER OF REAR COGS per 'click'. Moving the bar-ends on your tri bike by one 'click' moves the RD (chain) by 3.95mm, 0.4mm short of the next cog on a 9s. Do the math...

e_guevara said:
It's not a matter of being STI or not - it's the COG SPACING that matters. Indexing systems move the RD by a defined distance DEPENDING ON THE NUMBER OF REAR COGS per 'click'. Moving the bar-ends on your tri bike by one 'click' moves the RD (chain) by 3.95mm, 0.4mm short of the next cog on a 9s. Do the math...

Thanks, that helps. This is my fundamental confusion:

I thought that STI was indexed, and the non-STI levers were NOT indexed and were more of a linear / analog cable pull, with the rider having the responsibility of stopping the lever at the right spot.

Is this not the case?

DanP said:
Thanks, that helps. This is my fundamental confusion:

I thought that STI was indexed, and the non-STI levers were NOT indexed and were more of a linear / analog cable pull, with the rider having the responsibility of stopping the lever at the right spot.

Is this not the case?
The tri bike shifters have clicks in them ....RIGHT?? Therefore, it's indexed just like STI. The Shimano Shifters like on the tri bike also have a selectable FRICTION mode. Use the FRICTION mode!! Problem solved.

Thanks Boudreaux!

Let me push my luck here: how does one change to friction mode?

I'll go to the Shimano site to see if they have an online ref...

DanP said:
Thanks Boudreaux!

Let me push my luck here: how does one change to friction mode?

I'll go to the Shimano site to see if they have an online ref...
Outside of the rear shifter.'D' ring. Turn it to friction position.