Can I put my mtb rear deraileur [xt] onto my Alan cross bike ?

pete ward

Nov 28, 2013
I want to re-build my cross bike to deal with the very steep inclines of the 3 peaks x race, can I attach my xt derailleur to my stronglight [34,48] chainset and campag centaur sti's?

Originally Posted by pete ward
I want to re-build my cross bike to deal with the very steep inclines of the 3 peaks x race, can I attach my xt derailleur to my stronglight [34,48] chainset and campag centaur sti's?
That is quite a mix of components you have there. I'd just bolt it on and see if it works ok.

Originally Posted by pete ward
Yes ...

I use 8-/9-speed Shimano rear derailleurs with my 10-speed Campagnolo shifters ...

If the subsequent shifting feels dodgy, then update your Cassette with one which has better ramping ... OR borrow a Shimano-compatible rear wheel ...

• if you are using an older Cassette which has UN-RAMPED Cogs then the shifting could be dodgy ...
  • that is, the ramping is probably paramount to over-coming any indexing imprecision ...

THAT could mean a 9-speed Shimano or SRAM (on a compatible Freehub), particularly if you want a 32t-or-34t largest Cog

FWIW. Here are two of my bikes set up with 10-speed Campagnolo shifters + Shimano XTR (950) rear derailleurs AND they work with either a 9-speed Shimano Cassette or 10-speed Campagnolo Cassette (on appropriate rear wheels, of course)...

The Campagnolo shifters will work with an 8-speed Cassette, too.

The rear derailleur's stops should be adjusted, as needed.

If you have 9-speed Campagnolo shifters, then they will probably only find 8 of the Cogs on the Cassette when you use a Shimano rear derailleur.

BTW. I have found that (for me) a 9-speed Shimano chain seems to work fine with a 10-speed Campagnolo Cassette.

Thanks for the nice thread. keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. Sometime we ignore this sort of things and also suffer a lot as well. Thanks you for the tips.