Can I replace campy freewheel with Shimano

FogVilleLad

Mar 2, 2006
I need a new 27" wheelset, and one that's available has a campy freewheel. Can that be swapped for a Shimano? I don't know if the threading is different for campy.

DavidH

FogVilleLad said:
I need a new 27" wheelset, and one that's available has a campy freewheel. Can that be swapped for a Shimano? I don't know if the threading is different for campy.

DavidH

You may know this, but just for clarification, freewheel means a cluster of gears that are screwed onto a threaded hub as a unit. This differs from a freehub, in which a cluster of gears (cassette) are held onto the splined hub with a lockring (or for older freehubs, a threaded cog). Some people use the word freewheel when they really mean freehub or cassette.

For a threaded hub, you should be able to exchange freewheels of different brands without a problem. Most Campy hubs that are around are threaded for English thread freewheels. You can put an English thread freewheel on an Italian thread hub if you are careful. So yes, you can put a Shimano freewheel on a Campagnolo hub.

John M said:
You may know this, but just for clarification, freewheel means a cluster of gears that are screwed onto a threaded hub as a unit. This differs from a freehub, in which a cluster of gears (cassette) are held onto the splined hub with a lockring (or for older freehubs, a threaded cog). Some people use the word freewheel when they really mean freehub or cassette.

For a threaded hub, you should be able to exchange freewheels of different brands without a problem. Most Campy hubs that are around are threaded for English thread freewheels. You can put an English thread freewheel on an Italian thread hub if you are careful. So yes, you can put a Shimano freewheel on a Campagnolo hub.
John,

I did know the difference, but was confused by a statement by a not-so-friendly LBS that different threads were also a factor. Thanks much for your info.

DavidH