Can I replace my 700cc x 28 tyres with 700cc x 23 tyres?

AirsoftAddict

Oct 11, 2010
As the titles say can i replace them. I have a specialized Sirrus Elite and the front tyres are worn and need changing. All the ones i have seen on ebay are 700cc x 23 whilst mine are 700cc x 28.
If i can change them wahts the advantages or disadvantages??

You can change them if they fit your wheels and tubes. I would check with the wheels and tubes manufacturer.
Pros: Faster rolling, maybe lighter.
Cons: Less grip.
They might also be different characteristics with your older tires because of other factors.

My problem is that I am going to Holland next sunday 29th, and need tyres sorted before then. I have no idea about the width of the rims due to the bike being at a friends place till friday.

Hi AirsoftAddict, perhaps the question could be "why do you think you need 700 x 23 tyres other than there is generally more tyes available in 700 x 23 size" :)

Originally Posted by KLabs .

Hi AirsoftAddict, perhaps the question could be "why do you think you need 700cc x 23 tyres other than there is generally more tyes available in 700cc x 23 size" :)

No thats exactly why, there are more tyres in the 70 x 23 size than the 28 size, Besides the ones i want are in 23's not 28 but I think I will just get the 28's as thats whats on there at the moment so better safe than sorry.

Just so you know, it's not 700cc; it's 700x23c or 700x28c. Tires between 700x19c and 700x35c (or wider) are readily available. Buy and use what is appropriate to your needs, given any limitations of the frame and components of your bike (chainstay clearance, for example). Many tire manufacturers have tires selection guides on their websites. See for example:
http://www.vittoria.com/

You might also check your wheel manufacturer's site for recommended tire widths appropriate to your wheels.

You can use 23mm tyres as long as the rim is narrow enough to support them. A rim might be narrow enough for 28s but 23s may cause problems. In sort you won't know unless you can check the rims.
A for advantages/disadvantages that really depens on the precise brand and model of tyre.
Personally I know for a fact that 28mm tyres are widely available in shops which means you can buy them now. If you're going on saturday I'd already say it is too late to buy on-line and be confident of receiving the package in time.

Otherwise, why not just buy them in the Netherlands? You think they (of all people) wouldn't have bike shops?????

Hey... How bout here's an idea... Run 700x25c and split the difference. 700x23c is mainly what I always used on a set of race wheels. 700x25c should be just as readily available as 23c, and it gives you a bit more cushion (at least thats what I tell myself) and it will give you a bit more grip.

Going from a 28c to a 25c should give you no problem what-so-ever.

If you get a chance... follow a riders return to the bike after a 15+ year "offseason" http://theprodigalcyclistca.blogspot.com/