Can I ride a road bike that's really big on me?

TraceRace

Jun 13, 2014
I'm 5 feet tall. I got a Takara Sugiyama Flat Bar Fixie Bike and it is really big. When I am just sitting on the bike I am on my tiptoes on one of my feet while the other can't even touch the ground. I'm scared to ride it but I don't want the money invested on the bike to go to waste. Would it be safe of me to be riding it?

Originally Posted by TraceRace
I'm 5 feet tall. I got a Takara Sugiyama Flat Bar Fixie Bike and it is really big. When I am just sitting on the bike I am on my tiptoes on one of my feet while the other can't even touch the ground. I'm scared to ride it but I don't want the money invested on the bike to go to waste. Would it be safe of me to be riding it?
FYI. When you are seated on a typical bike's saddle, then if the saddle's height is set for YOU relative to the pedals, then your feet will NOT touch the ground ...

• because, if both of your feet could touch the ground while you are seated, then that means the pedals could possibly make contact with ground each rotation if you were to rock at all while pedaling ... your pedals striking the ground while pedaling would be dangerous
[*]in other words, if your feet can touch the ground when you are seated on the bike, then the saddle height is too low ...
[*]and, the people whom you may see who can sit on their bike's saddle AND place their feet on the ground have a saddle height which is too low for efficient pedaling ....

There ARE bikes designed for people who prefer the "easy rider" relationship to their bike, BTW ... but, that's another issue.

In other words, when you stop, get off the saddle.

Only having one foot on tippy toes while in the saddle at a stop is normal on a bike that has the saddle height adjusted properly (while pedaling there should be a very slight bend at the knee when the foot is at the bottom of the stroke). That said, if your seat/seatpost is currently set as low as it can go in the frame, and you are experiencing what you describe, the bike is probably too big for you. Having not mentioned the size of the frame or given any other details it's tough to say.

I think the bicycle that you are describing is quite a normal. You should be able to ride it easily with a little bit of practice. The height of the saddle looks fine to me as it is it should be quiet high from the ground. I would definitely not like to own a cycle whose saddle touches the the ground.

I wouldn't feel comfortable riding that kind of bike. For me, it's very important that I'm able to comfortably touch the ground with my feet, because I depend on that during emergencies or at least during occasions that I would need to catch my balance. Road biking is much much more challenging than biking in a park or let's say a biking path. You are also applying a good level of reflex reaction when biking together with other vehicles. If you can't personally control your bike because you are having difficulty reaching the ground, then it's totally unsafe to use it. It's a waste not to be able to use it, but think of your safety first and there's no such thing as a waste when you are protecting your safety.

I can't help. It to assume it really isn't safe if the bike is that much bigger than you. I would feel like I don't have the control I need to ride safe.

I would think if the bike is to big for you that it would be a safety issue. I personally cant ride a bike that is too big for myself, I find it very uncomfortable and I always feel like I'm going to fall off.

You might want to go to a shop and have it adjusted. It sounds like there may be other issues like the position of the handlebars you might want an expert to help you with. If your bike is t adjusted for you, your posture will be bad and you may have back, neck, shoulder issues if you are riding a lot.

My first bike is tailored for my built. But some bikes that I used before I had mine were too big. There was even a racer bike with the saddle that was too high so I rode without a seat. It is uncomfortable to use a bike with a seat so high or so low. They tend to give you muscle pains because your body needs effort in using it. What I suggest for hobbyist who has the money is to buy a saddle that fits you.

Now, with the bike that is too big, I don't think there is a bike too big for me. A high saddle there is but a big bike there isn't.

I'm sure OP figured out what to do since a year has nearly passed since this thread started. For anyone else, it's never a good idea to ride a bike that's too large for your height and weight. You leave yourself open to various risks, considering you can't control that bike as well as you would a properly sized one. These are risks that no rider should take because you could wind up with broken bones or worse from a fall or lack of control.

I wouldnt recommend that you ride a bike that does not fit you properly. Over time, I believe you will injure yourself.

No, I wouldn't ride a bike that's to big for you, it's not safe at all.