Can I spike a road tire?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Skippii, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

    I ride to class and back every day. 3 miles round trip.
    It's all paved street, but some of it gets covered with hard ice, and
    it's never plowed.
    Can I spike my 28"X1.75 tire and still have it be okay for riding on
    the plowed paved asphalt and concrete? I was thinking just short spikes
    on the sides of the tire or something. Opinions/advice?

    --
    Skippii

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

  2. Ironically enough (SF hasn't gotten snow that sticks in centuries) I've
    done this with one of my unicycles. It works fine, however you may be
    concerned aobu those spikes catching on your jeans or pants. Gawd
    they're nasty.

    I've ridden black ice before, and if it's not that common, why don't
    you just nget used to riding it (read, walk). It is ridable, but I
    don't think spikes would be worth it.

    --
    gerblefranklin

    Nick's main man.

    "I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
    there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

  3. Ottawa Dave

    Ottawa Dave Guest

  4. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

  5. (my experience is only on 2.3"+, and Coker tires)

    have you tried riding on the ice yet? you will find that you have an
    incredible amount of control on the ice as you are able to really
    control yourself well using alot of extra 'body language'

    90 degree turns on ice sidewalks are even do-able, as you are able to
    keep your weight over the wheel much more so than a bike.

    unicycling in the ice and snow is even easier than walking through it

    really lower your air pressure for even greater control (low enough
    that you wouldn't want to hop on it, if needed, like for on skidoo
    trails)

    to your point...spikes (I screwwed screws outwards on my mountainbike
    which worked fine) would help on the ice, or even on wooden stunts, but
    I wouldn't bother with them (they would be great for wooden stunts
    though)

    --
    Brian MacKenzie

    'Training Wheel Not Required DVD'
    (http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR.wmv)
    Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

  6. Borges

    Borges Guest

  7. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

    Thanks for the responses.

    Yeah, I've ridden on ice before, and I've been riding on ice the last
    week, and it's not good stuff.

    I might try it with thumbtacks (push-pins) on the sides angled so they
    don't immediately break off. Would be a cheap experiment and reversible
    (unlike big screw holes.)

    --
    Skippii

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

  8. Seager

    Seager Guest

  9. Unitik908

    Unitik908 Guest

    Seager wrote:
    > you'd be better off with chains or some kind of wire. Maybe coathangers
    > wrapped around the entire wheel...

    that was my option. just get a nice chain for snow for a bike tyre

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    R.I.P James Doohan
    R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
    R.I.P Peter Jennings
    R.I.P Pope John Paul II
    R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
    YAMS

    -last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -

  10. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

    Since it's a Sun 28" there is very little clearance between the tire and
    frame, and I don't think Chains would work. Spikes would be very short,
    so I think they'd work.

    FWIW, I have no problems riding on snow, just ice.