Can I spike a road tire?

Skippii

Guest
I ride to class and back every day. 3 miles round trip.
It's all paved street, but some of it gets covered with hard ice, and
it's never plowed.
Can I spike my 28"X1.75 tire and still have it be okay for riding on
the plowed paved asphalt and concrete? I was thinking just short spikes
on the sides of the tire or something. Opinions/advice?

--
Skippii

One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

Ironically enough (SF hasn't gotten snow that sticks in centuries) I've
done this with one of my unicycles. It works fine, however you may be
concerned aobu those spikes catching on your jeans or pants. Gawd
they're nasty.

I've ridden black ice before, and if it's not that common, why don't
you just nget used to riding it (read, walk). It is ridable, but I
don't think spikes would be worth it.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

(my experience is only on 2.3"+, and Coker tires)

have you tried riding on the ice yet? you will find that you have an
incredible amount of control on the ice as you are able to really
control yourself well using alot of extra 'body language'

90 degree turns on ice sidewalks are even do-able, as you are able to
keep your weight over the wheel much more so than a bike.

unicycling in the ice and snow is even easier than walking through it

really lower your air pressure for even greater control (low enough
that you wouldn't want to hop on it, if needed, like for on skidoo
trails)

to your point...spikes (I screwwed screws outwards on my mountainbike
which worked fine) would help on the ice, or even on wooden stunts, but
I wouldn't bother with them (they would be great for wooden stunts
though)

--
Brian MacKenzie

'Training Wheel Not Required DVD'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, I've ridden on ice before, and I've been riding on ice the last
week, and it's not good stuff.

I might try it with thumbtacks (push-pins) on the sides angled so they
don't immediately break off. Would be a cheap experiment and reversible
(unlike big screw holes.)

--

Seager wrote:
> you'd be better off with chains or some kind of wire. Maybe coathangers
> wrapped around the entire wheel...

that was my option. just get a nice chain for snow for a bike tyre

Chase

--
Unitik908

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

-last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -

Since it's a Sun 28" there is very little clearance between the tire and
frame, and I don't think Chains would work. Spikes would be very short,
so I think they'd work.

FWIW, I have no problems riding on snow, just ice.