can i swap a sora triple crankset for a 105?

conrad

Guest
Shimano says my Sora triple shifters have to be used with a triple crankset,
not a double, but...

Can I just take off the existing crankset and put on a new 105 triple? Same
BB?

thanks

"conrad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Shimano says my Sora triple shifters have to be used with a triple
crankset,
| not a double, but...
|
| Can I just take off the existing crankset and put on a new 105 triple?
Same
| BB?

Not sure if the Sora crank is square taper or octalink. If it's the
octalink, you can swap.
Take off the cap on either crank and see what the end of the bb looks like

Why are you making the swap?

"conrad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shimano says my Sora triple shifters have to be used with a triple crankset,
> not a double, but...
>
> Can I just take off the existing crankset and put on a new 105 triple? Same
> BB?

No, Sora is square taper BB and 105 is Octalink.

That's according to the Shimano catalogue, so it could well be a lie.

On Thu, 20 May 2004 23:38:49 +0200, "Mark South"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>"conrad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Shimano says my Sora triple shifters have to be used with a triple crankset,
>> not a double, but...

I can't imagine why. If it can shift a triple, surely you can remove
a ring and not shift it; the leap of faith, then, to shifting a
crank that never had the granny, ought to be easy.

My only question would be _why_ would you want to eliminate that
gear? It weighs practically nothing, and you may want it some day.

>> Can I just take off the existing crankset and put on a new 105 triple? Same
>> BB?

>No, Sora is square taper BB and 105 is Octalink.
>
>That's according to the Shimano catalogue, so it could well be a lie.

I think they offer 105 in square taper also.

Of course, the bottom bracket is easy enough to replace if you want.
--
Rick Onanian

"John Rees" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "conrad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> | Shimano says my Sora triple shifters have to be used with a triple
> crankset,
> | not a double, but...
> |
> | Can I just take off the existing crankset and put on a new 105 triple?
> Same
> | BB?
> |

> Not sure if the Sora crank is square taper or octalink. If it's the
> octalink, you can swap.
> Take off the cap on either crank and see what the end of the bb looks like
>
> Why are you making the swap?

Hi, the Sora has a square taper. He will have to replace the BB if he
wants to go to 105. Tiagra uses a square taper, but is very heavy, as
is the Sora.
He can get a 105 triple BB for around $30, maybe less if he looks
around.

Life is Good!
Jeff

conrad wrote:

> Shimano says my Sora triple shifters have to be used with a triple crankset,
> not a double, but...
>
> Can I just take off the existing crankset and put on a new 105 triple? Same
> BB?

As Sheldon has pointed out regarding other road triple
shifters, they do doubles equally well.

Shimano's current Sora crank is a normal square spindle.
The current 105 is a spline pattern, so, no you cannot .

Why would you make that change? The two cranks are not
markedly different in use. If you're seeking status while
keeping that gearing, the Veloce triple with matching BB is
cheaper than the 105 crank alone.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 20 May 2004 23:38:49 +0200, "Mark South"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >"conrad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> Shimano says my Sora triple shifters have to be used with a triple crankset,
> >> not a double, but...

> I can't imagine why. If it can shift a triple, surely you can remove
> a ring and not shift it; the leap of faith, then, to shifting a
> crank that never had the granny, ought to be easy.
>
> My only question would be _why_ would you want to eliminate that
> gear? It weighs practically nothing, and you may want it some day.
>
> >> Can I just take off the existing crankset and put on a new 105 triple? Same
> >> BB?

> >No, Sora is square taper BB and 105 is Octalink.
> >
> >That's according to the Shimano catalogue, so it could well be a lie.

> I think they offer 105 in square taper also.
>
> Of course, the bottom bracket is easy enough to replace if you want.

How about peeling off the Sora sticker and replacing it with one that says 105?

LGF

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| conrad wrote:
|
| > Shimano says my Sora triple shifters have to be used with a triple
crankset,
| > not a double, but...
| >
| > Can I just take off the existing crankset and put on a new 105 triple?
Same
| > BB?
|
| As Sheldon has pointed out regarding other road triple
| shifters, they do doubles equally well.
|
| Shimano's current Sora crank is a normal square spindle.
| The current 105 is a spline pattern, so, no you cannot .
|
| Why would you make that change? The two cranks are not
| markedly different in use. If you're seeking status while
| keeping that gearing, the Veloce triple with matching BB is
| cheaper than the 105 crank alone.

I agree. There isn't much of 'potential' performance
improvement between Sora and 105 just justify
the expense. Sure, 105 is lighter, but if the bike
came with Sora, it's got plenty of other heavy stuff
aboard to make the savings irrelevant.
Kind of the silk purse into a sows ear deal.

If you're looking for schwag, the kind of people
who notice this thing are still gonna notice the
plastic Sora shifters, rear der and iron age
cassette that comes with this group.

JR

> How about peeling off the Sora sticker and replacing it with one that
> says 105?

LOL - but it doesn't shine the same!!!

(Could just take a felt-tip and write Dura-Ace...)

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Hi all, new to this forum, read article about sora to 105 triple conversion, I want to Chang sora compact to 105 triple, have full 105 group set on old bike got new bike with sora on, if I cannot swap because of different bottom bracket which one do I need? Sorry if sounds silly but need help

Of course, if your "new" bike currently has a Shimano SORA crank, then it will only require a new crankset + possibly a new/compatible BB (depending on the generation of crankset-and-BB of the "new" bike) ...
  • BUT, you may need a new rear derailleur which has a longer ("SGS" in Shimano parlance) cage ... AND, you may need a new front derailleur ....
If the new Crankset is a Hollowtech II, then you will want Hollowtech II cups (or, equivalent). However, it will be MUCH EASIER (and, probably less expensive) to simply buy a 12-34 Cassette + a Shimano MTB rear derailleur. By MY reckoning, the only advantage to installing a Triple crankset + (possibly) a new BB + new front-and-rear derailleurs over a MTB Cassette & MTB rear derailleur is that you probably won't need to buy a new chain. BTW. If you are planning on using the "new" bike for LOADED TOURING for which a Triple might be the better option, then you are probably beginning with the wrong bike.

Thanks for the advice!! Like I said, I already have full105 groupset, do not need any mtb stuff as have all I need, was unsure if BB would be suitable for 105 crankset, and fyi I want a triple as it makes it a little easier to negotiate some challenging climbs near where I live, not loaded touring, whatever that maybe, thanks anyway

FYI. A 34t inner chainring + a 34t (or, even a 32t) largest Cog will give you a lower gear ratio than a 30t Granny + 27t (?) largest Cog which may be on your current Cassette.