can i swap a sora triple crankset for a 105?

Conrad

Guest
Shimano says my Sora triple shifters have to be used with a
triple crankset, not a double, but...

Can I just take off the existing crankset and put on a new
105 triple? Same BB?

thanks

"conrad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Shimano says my Sora triple shifters have to be used with
| a triple
crankset,
| not a double, but...
|
| Can I just take off the existing crankset and put on a new
| 105 triple?
Same
| BB?

Not sure if the Sora crank is square taper or octalink. If
it's the octalink, you can swap. Take off the cap on either
crank and see what the end of the bb looks like

Why are you making the swap?

"conrad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shimano says my Sora triple shifters have to be used with
> a triple crankset, not a double, but...
>
> Can I just take off the existing crankset and put on a new
> 105 triple? Same BB?

No, Sora is square taper BB and 105 is Octalink.

That's according to the Shimano catalogue, so it could
well be a lie.

On Thu, 20 May 2004 23:38:49 +0200, "Mark South"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>"conrad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Shimano says my Sora triple shifters have to be used with
>> a triple crankset, not a double, but...

I can't imagine why. If it can shift a triple, surely you
can remove a ring and not shift it; the leap of faith,
then, to shifting a crank that never had the granny, ought
to be easy.

My only question would be _why_ would you want to eliminate
that gear? It weighs practically nothing, and you may want
it some day.

>> Can I just take off the existing crankset and put on a
>> new 105 triple? Same BB?
>
>No, Sora is square taper BB and 105 is Octalink.
>
>That's according to the Shimano catalogue, so it could well
>be a lie.

I think they offer 105 in square taper also.

Of course, the bottom bracket is easy enough to replace
if you want.
--
Rick Onanian

"John Rees" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "conrad" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> pc.org...
> | Shimano says my Sora triple shifters have to be used
> | with a triple
> crankset,
> | not a double, but...
> |
> | Can I just take off the existing crankset and put on a
> | new 105 triple?
> Same
> | BB?
> |

> Not sure if the Sora crank is square taper or octalink. If
> it's the octalink, you can swap. Take off the cap on
> either crank and see what the end of the bb looks like
>
> Why are you making the swap?

Hi, the Sora has a square taper. He will have to replace the
BB if he wants to go to 105. Tiagra uses a square taper, but
is very heavy, as is the Sora. He can get a 105 triple BB
for around $30, maybe less if he looks around.

Life is Good! Jeff

conrad wrote:

> Shimano says my Sora triple shifters have to be used with
> a triple crankset, not a double, but...
>
> Can I just take off the existing crankset and put on a new
> 105 triple? Same BB?

As Sheldon has pointed out regarding other road triple
shifters, they do doubles equally well.

Shimano's current Sora crank is a normal square spindle. The
current 105 is a spline pattern, so, no you cannot .

Why would you make that change? The two cranks are not
markedly different in use. If you're seeking status while
keeping that gearing, the Veloce triple with matching BB is
cheaper than the 105 crank alone.
--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
April, 1971

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 20 May 2004 23:38:49 +0200, "Mark South"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >"conrad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> Shimano says my Sora triple shifters have to be used
> >> with a triple crankset, not a double, but...
>
> I can't imagine why. If it can shift a triple, surely you
> can remove a ring and not shift it; the leap of faith,
> then, to shifting a crank that never had the granny, ought
> to be easy.
>
> My only question would be _why_ would you want to
> eliminate that gear? It weighs practically nothing, and
> you may want it some day.
>
> >> Can I just take off the existing crankset and put on a
> >> new 105 triple? Same BB?
> >
> >No, Sora is square taper BB and 105 is Octalink.
> >
> >That's according to the Shimano catalogue, so it could
> >well be a lie.
>
> I think they offer 105 in square taper also.
>
> Of course, the bottom bracket is easy enough to replace if
> you want.

How about peeling off the Sora sticker and replacing it with
one that says 105?

LGF

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| conrad wrote:
|
| > Shimano says my Sora triple shifters have to be used
| > with a triple
crankset,
| > not a double, but...
| >
| > Can I just take off the existing crankset and put on a
| > new 105 triple?
Same
| > BB?
|
| As Sheldon has pointed out regarding other road triple
| shifters, they do doubles equally well.
|
| Shimano's current Sora crank is a normal square spindle.
| The current 105 is a spline pattern, so, no you cannot .
|
| Why would you make that change? The two cranks are not
| markedly different in use. If you're seeking status while
| keeping that gearing, the Veloce triple with matching BB
| is cheaper than the 105 crank alone.

I agree. There isn't much of 'potential' performance
improvement between Sora and 105 just justify the expense.
Sure, 105 is lighter, but if the bike came with Sora, it's
got plenty of other heavy stuff aboard to make the savings
irrelevant. Kind of the silk purse into a sows ear deal.

If you're looking for schwag, the kind of people who notice
this thing are still gonna notice the plastic Sora shifters,
rear der and iron age cassette that comes with this group.

JR

> How about peeling off the Sora sticker and replacing it
> with one that says 105?

LOL - but it doesn't shine the same!!!

(Could just take a felt-tip and write Dura-Ace...)

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Hi all in regards to swap sora crankset for 105, the answer is yes, straight swap. Got bike with sora, tried my 5703 105, straight swap not a problem, obviously have to change my shifters, front and rear mech and I'm away, happy hill climbing, triples rule

When this thread was started and the last time it was added to, 11 years ago, before you dredged it up, Sora was JIS square taper and 105 was Octalink, so they weren't directly interchangeable. The current versions of Sora and 105 are both Hollowtech II.

I think the original posters have moved on to other things.

Yes, I started the thread again yesterday me old China as was unsure, couldn't get sensible answer so tried changing and voila!! It can be done. Might help bobcat if you read whole article including date, jeez