Can I swap my 105 calipers with Veloce?

cloudhead

Jul 8, 2010
Hi there,

I am building up a "fast commuter" bike which I am outfitting with Campagnolo Veloce that I got for a great deal.

My favorite bike has 105 calipers and levers. I am curious if I can swap the 105's with the Veloce's because they are very nice-looking calipers that would look great on the favorite (which is adorned with several polished bits).

I am unaware if theres any differences, and wanted to make sure before experimenting with such a vital part of the bike. Veloce and 105 seem to be equal in performance based on opinions I've read. Thanks!

Yes, you absolutely can, and the brakes will work just fine. Depending on whether you're using Veloce brakes with Shimano 105 shifters or 105 brakes with Veloce shifts, there could be a slight nuisance. If you use Veloce brakes with 105 shifters, you need to realize that the brakes do not have a cable release on 'em as Shimano brakes do. This means if you need to remove a wheel, you may have to use the barrel screw to release cable tension enough to let the tire pass through the brakes. There is no complication at all when using 105 brakes with Veloce shifters.

Thank you for your replies. On weekends I ride hill and mountain roads that are in 'rustic' condition, so I use a fairly wide tire. Are Campagnolo brakes released in a different way?

I ride bike paths and expressway for my commute, so that bike has a thinner tire.

Originally Posted by cloudhead .

Thank you for your replies. On weekends I ride hill and mountain roads that are in 'rustic' condition, so I use a fairly wide tire. Are Campagnolo brakes released in a different way?

I ride bike paths and expressway for my commute, so that bike has a thinner tire.
The cable release for Campy brakes is actually on the levers (shifters/brake levers).

Got it. My first time with a Campy gruppo. It'll be best to leave these brakes with the rest of the set. Thanks for the clarification!