Can I Take Up Professional Cycling At 27?

roseblanch, I am actually the same age and had the same thought when I got my first modern road bike. I loved it! I try to ride 4-5 times a week. My mindset is, I will try my best in cat 5 and if I advance, cool. As long as I try, I will be happy!

It is true very few make it in the professional world, that is true for those with "innate" abilities and those of us who find passion later in life.

Your path will be your own and it will be amazing.

It's never too late. And you gotta remember this. But be sure your health can take all the pressure, which will definitely increase.

You could take it up, but I don't know how well you would do against others when they are going to be a good deal younger than you. If you are in the shape and have the skills though go for it. You wont ever know unless you try. Even if you don't succeed it's better to at least try if it something you really want to pursue.

You haven't got a snowball's chance in hell if you think you can become a top professional taking up the sport at age 27. The people here who tell you 'anything is possible' are deluding themselves and you.

You can still have lots of fun and enjoy racing - you just won't ever become an elite professional.

Well said, the OP is a knob who doesn't even race locally and everyone else encouraging him simply don't have a clue about racing.

Hey I road ride with a Camella as a result of I’m a significant sweater and also the massive water bag really holds enough to fill Pine Tree State. the very fact that you simply will use bottles on the road extremely is deceptive as you're encircled far and away additional dangerous things. I’d rather have my hands on the bars, I don’t care what a prevail roadie thinks of Pine Tree State.

It would be way easier to be a professional triathlete at age 27 than a professional cyclist at that age. Pro cycling is one of the hardest sports in the world to be great at and it's very difficult to get into from a professional standpoint. You have to know someone to get into a decent pro team and you'd have to negotiate your way to get a good contract. That is only if you're good enough too. If you have a power meter you can truly measure yourself against the top pros and see how good you are and how much more training you'd have to do to get to that level.

If roseblanchgt hasn't made up is mind after seven months of looking for an answer on this forum, he'll never get started before he gets to 30.

Reactions: Nigel Doyle
Is he pro yet? Sorry, 27 is too late. I love the drive but it's just too late. Pro's peak in their late 20s / early 30s and have been riding for decades by that point.

There's a difference between drive and pipe-dreaming.

It isn't so much about peaking, it's about preparation, so by the time you're getting paid for it you know what you need to do, and being in the habit of doing it. Laurent Fignon got a late start at 15, but he jumped right into amateur racing, so by the time he was 21 he was a pro of some accomplishment and promise. That makes six years of development, if my arithmetic is correct.

Development is shorter for triathlon and women's racing.

Of course, I think the saying goes something like it is never too late to start. We all know that it is really not the case, but certainly this is something that with the right amount of effort and determination you can do. 27 is not that old, and I would hope that that is not how you are thinking. I would wish you all the best and just say to keep your body healthy and your mind strong and you should be okay.

Show me a pro in any other sport--basketball, baseball, football (except place-kickers), hockey, figure skating, boxing--who didn't start at least as a teen ager. I don't understand what makes pro cycling easier.

I'm not sure on this one honestly. The reaction time of the brain and the amount of processing it is capable to do peaks at a much younger age than 27, and then begins to gradually decrease. Younger cyclers are also a lot fitter and therefore able to endure much more. Honestly, you wouldn't be starting professional cycling at 27, you'd be preparing to start at 27 and then possibly getting in to it even later such as age 30. For me, it's a no.

Show me a pro in any other sport--basketball, baseball, football (except place-kickers), hockey, figure skating, boxing--who didn't start at least as a teen ager. I don't understand what makes pro cycling easier.

Well, every so often you have someone like Ed "Too Tall" Jones, who decides that he's going to take up boxing in his 20s or 30s, and who either gives it up realizing that eventually he's going to have to stop fighting tomato cans, or eventually winds up proving the old adage, "the bigger they are, the harder they fall". :D

But I've given up trying to convince the "you can do anything if you set your mind to it/work hard enough/want it" types that they're whistling Dixie. ;)

You might be a bit late to the part but you still can succeed if you are determined enough and put in the effort. Also if you are already training then it's not like you're going to be a complete newb. Try it out.

Never too late, dude. Why not give it a shot? If you have enough dedication and patience to train up your endurance and your knowledge on cycling, I'm sure you'll go far. 27 isn't really very old, lots of people don't know what they want to do in their lives even in their 40s. You'll be fine, just keep looking ahead and don't stop moving. It's all about practice and dedication, and I'm sure you'll do nicely.