Can I train on a road bike and use TT bike only for races?

AmyVS

Aug 4, 2003
I love my Calfee Tetra Pro road bike -- it's very comfortable and pretty fast. Is there any downside to training (almost) exclusively on this bike, and pulling out the TT/tri bike only for triathlons?

I don't want to add aero bars to the Calfee, 'cuz this would mean changing seat/handlebar positions, and comfort will suffer (I have chronic low back stiffness, and yes, I'm doing strength training and massage to get over this annoying problem).

Would appreciate feedback from those who have tried this two-bike training approach.

Have you ever thought of profile GT's or slam bars on the Calfee. That way you wouldn't need to
change the seat position you will be able to train comfortably and specfically. I switched to a road
bike with GT's because of chronic knee problems. I'm happy with the change. The comfort has paid off
in lower times. Good Luck Mike

AmyVS <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I love my Calfee Tetra Pro road bike -- it's very comfortable and pretty fast. Is there any
> downside to training (almost) exclusively on this bike, and pulling out the TT/tri bike only for
> triathlons?
>
> I don't want to add aero bars to the Calfee, 'cuz this would mean changing seat/handlebar
> positions, and comfort will suffer (I have chronic low back stiffness, and yes, I'm doing strength
> training and massage to get over this annoying problem).
>
> Would appreciate feedback from those who have tried this two-bike training approach.

Originally posted by Mike Lana
Have you ever thought of profile GT's or slam bars on the Calfee. That way you wouldn't need to
change the seat position you will be able to train comfortably and specfically. I switched to a road
bike with GT's because of chronic knee problems. I'm happy with the change. The comfort has paid off
in lower times. Good Luck Mike

AmyVS <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I love my Calfee Tetra Pro road bike -- it's very comfortable and pretty fast. Is there any
> downside to training (almost) exclusively on this bike, and pulling out the TT/tri bike only for
> triathlons?
>
> I don't want to add aero bars to the Calfee, 'cuz this would mean changing seat/handlebar
> positions, and comfort will suffer (I have chronic low back stiffness, and yes, I'm doing strength
> training and massage to get over this annoying problem).
>
> Would appreciate feedback from those who have tried this two-bike training approach.

Mike, great that the slam position helps the knees, but how does it feel on the lower back? I have low back stiffness, and my research suggests that this position is not the best for folks with inflexible backs. Still, I might try your suggestion. I really do love my Calfee -- it rides like I'm on a cloud.

I have been training on a road bike and racing on a tri bike for many years. I love the road
geometry for training. The best way to tell if it works for you is to try it.

Emilio De Soto II 858 453 6672 www.desotosport.com "Quality Triathlon Gear Since 1990"
www.t1wetsuits.com "Triathlon's most innovative wetsuit" Email me for a De Soto Sport free catalog

Amy, I love my Calfee Tetra Custom too! I train and race on it, and I add the aerobars and alter the
seat height just for racing. I find it to be nothing more than a few minutes' time. I mark the
saddle position and the seatpost for the proper height for each and its a snap to make the
adjustment.

I don't think I could possibly find a bike I'd like better for a second bike, unless it was
another Tetra.

But, yes, many folks do train on one bike and race on another. If you choose this route, make sure
you do at least a few rides prior to each race on the race bike. You'll pay for it otherwise.