can i use 27"wheels on 700c carbon forks?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by dexmax, Mar 15, 2003.

1. dexmax

dexmax New Member

Is it possible to use 27" wheels (23 tires) on 700c carbon forks?

Would the brakes still fit?

Thanks.

Tags:

2. Frejus

Frejus New Member

There is an overall diameter difference, you would have to make sure what the distance is from the centre of your wheel spindle and the bottom of the fork crown ( the bit at the bottom of the fork steerer tube).

27 " tyres are limited in size profile 27X1.1/4 there used to be 27x1" which were lower in the profile. The problem first to check would be the clearance with a wheel ( 27") fitted.

The second thing to check would be the brake stirrup length...... would the brakes you have shorten up to align withthe rim wall of the 27" wheel.

Most Carbon forks are built with close clearance to accomodate the super fast 700c tyres 700x19/20c up to 700x25mm which is known as 'bare clearance' You may be able to find a carbon fork that allows the fitment of mudgaurds (' mudgaurd clearance')

There is a small choice of 27" tyres these days in quality brands....Continental, Michelin, and Schwable, but these are mostly touring tyres.

3. xavier

xavier New Member

It is possible but each fork is a little different. Some have more room than others for the bigger tire.

So you have to personally check them with your complete 27" wheel and tire to see if it accomodates you.

Also note that may void warranty and some shops may not install due to liabilty reasons.

4. fid

fid New Member

re: There is a small choice of 27" tyres these days in quality brands....Continental, Michelin, and Schwable, but these are mostly touring tyres.

I recently replace the tough and versatile 27" Continental World Tour tyres on my bike with fast and predictable 27" Specialized Turbo tyres. They are still 1 1/4 but they have a small 'footprint' unlike the ride over anything bags on the World Tours - also they allow you to run pressure up to 120psi as opposed to the slug country 85psi on most of the alternatives.

I've been riding on them now for about 6 weeks and I couldn't be happier with them - they have great grip and a kevlar liner and the big bonus is that they are cheap - just $25 Aust. per tyre oh yeah and they are pretty fast too.

Best Regards