Can I use a Shimano Mtn reear deraileur with my Ultegra indexed bar-cons?

Sir Ridesalot

Guest
Hi there again.

My apology. I had meant to ask in my other post if it is possible to
use a Shimano rear derailleur such as the Acera or Alivio on my road
bicycle with the Ultegra bare end shifters in t he INDEX mode and still
have precise shifting.

Note I do *NOT* want to use the shifters in the friction mode.

The reasons I ask this are 1) either of these derailleurs are at least
$40 less expensive than the 105 rear derailleur and 2) it is mu
understanding they can handle a larger rear cassette cog, ie 32 or 34
teeth.

Thanks again for your good advice.

Peter

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> Hi there again.
>
> My apology. I had meant to ask in my other post if it is possible to
> use a Shimano rear derailleur such as the Acera or Alivio on my road
> bicycle with the Ultegra bare end shifters in t he INDEX mode and still
> have precise shifting.
>
> Note I do *NOT* want to use the shifters in the friction mode.
>
> The reasons I ask this are 1) either of these derailleurs are at least
> $40 less expensive than the 105 rear derailleur and 2) it is mu
> understanding they can handle a larger rear cassette cog, ie 32 or 34
> teeth.
>
> Thanks again for your good advice.

Bare end shifters? Scandalous!

Assuming all else is in order (e.g., 9 speed shifters/9 speed
cassettes, etc.), the RDs in question will work just fine.

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> My apology. I had meant to ask in my other post if it is possible to
> use a Shimano rear derailleur such as the Acera or Alivio on my road
> bicycle with the Ultegra bare end shifters in t he INDEX mode and still
> have precise shifting.

Yes it is, as long as the Ultegra shifter is 9speed and the MTB
derailer 8 speed - result is not guaranteed with a 7 speed derailer,
but it may work.
Btw, I find cable & housing quality and routing a much more limiting
factor in shifting than derailer price.

Yes, these MTB derailers can accomodate a much larger cog (usually
34t). Very nice if you're loaded eg.

On 15 Jul 2006 12:26:33 -0700, "Sir Ridesalot"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi there again.
>
>My apology. I had meant to ask in my other post if it is possible to
>use a Shimano rear derailleur such as the Acera or Alivio on my road
>bicycle with the Ultegra bare end shifters in t he INDEX mode and still
>have precise shifting.
>
>Note I do *NOT* want to use the shifters in the friction mode.
>
>The reasons I ask this are 1) either of these derailleurs are at least
>$40 less expensive than the 105 rear derailleur and 2) it is mu
>understanding they can handle a larger rear cassette cog, ie 32 or 34
>teeth.
>
>Thanks again for your good advice.
>
>Peter

If you have 32 or 34 rear cogs I would go to a Deore LX or XT. I have
105 STI brifters that work pefectly with either of these.

[email protected] wrote:
> Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> > My apology. I had meant to ask in my other post if it is possible to
> > use a Shimano rear derailleur such as the Acera or Alivio on my road
> > bicycle with the Ultegra bare end shifters in t he INDEX mode and still
> > have precise shifting.

> Yes it is, as long as the Ultegra shifter is 9speed and the MTB
> derailer 8 speed - result is not guaranteed with a 7 speed derailer,
> but it may work.

IME, even a 6SP RD will work. Match shifter to cassette, use a narrower
chain for 9/10SP then for 7/8SP.

> Btw, I find cable & housing quality and routing a much more limiting
> factor in shifting than derailer price.

Yep!!

> Yes, these MTB derailers can accomodate a much larger cog (usually
> 34t). Very nice if you're loaded eg.

I have Ultegra (7 SP) Barcons indexing fine with the LX derailer on my
tourer. It has also worked fine with an XT and an SLX. So I don't see
why not.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Chris Z The Wheelman wrote:
> I have Ultegra (7 SP) Barcons indexing fine with the LX derailer on my
> tourer. It has also worked fine with an XT and an SLX. So I don't see
> why not.
>
> - -
> Comments and opinions compliments of,
> "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>
> My web Site:
> http://geocities.com/czcorner
>
> To E-mail me:
> ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

I have a road bike with 8 speed DuraAce indexing bar cons, a Shimano XT
short cage derailleur, and an 8-speed Sachs freewheel on some
top-of-the-line French hubs. It all works together great.

jn

[email protected] wrote:
> Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> > My apology. I had meant to ask in my other post if it is possible to
> > use a Shimano rear derailleur such as the Acera or Alivio on my road
> > bicycle with the Ultegra bare end shifters in t he INDEX mode and still
> > have precise shifting.

> Yes it is, as long as the Ultegra shifter is 9speed and the MTB
> derailer 8 speed - result is not guaranteed with a 7 speed derailer,
> but it may work.
> Btw, I find cable & housing quality and routing a much more limiting
> factor in shifting than derailer price.

Not true..7 or 8 or 9s barends...as long as the 8s is not DA, will work
fine with any shimano rear derailleur-

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> Hi there again.
>
> My apology. I had meant to ask in my other post if it is possible to
> use a Shimano rear derailleur such as the Acera or Alivio on my road
> bicycle with the Ultegra bare end shifters in t he INDEX mode and still
> have precise shifting.
>
> Note I do *NOT* want to use the shifters in the friction mode.
>
> The reasons I ask this are 1) either of these derailleurs are at least
> $40 less expensive than the 105 rear derailleur and 2) it is mu
> understanding they can handle a larger rear cassette cog, ie 32 or 34
> teeth.
>
> Thanks again for your good advice.
>
> Peter

No problem. I use mostly MTB derailers on my road bikes and mostly use
bar-end shifters. The last bike I put together has Ultegra bar-ends with
an Alivio rear, shifts perfectly.