Can I use Dura Ace brifters with my Sora groupset

grandamn

Apr 18, 2011
I need to replace my brifters and was wondering my current Sora setup is 2x9. If I get 2x9 Dura Ace brifters can I use them with my current drivetrain?

Originally Posted by grandamn .

I need to replace my brifters and was wondering my current Sora setup is 2x9. If I get 2x9 Dura Ace brifters can I use them with my current drivetrain?

Sure. You have a source for 2x9 Dura-Ace and 105 levers?

Used 9-speed Shimano 105 brifters are fairly easy to find on eBay. Occasionally you will see NOS 9-speed brifters. I don't remember ever seeing any 9-speed DA brifters there though.

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a source. Are you selling anything or can you refer? I saw one set of Duran Ace 9 speed brifters on eBay but I'm assuming they were old. The were like $150 and they were pretty beat up. Can I use any set as long as gears match? How is it that I see some people on eBay selling one for a 3x9 and saying it will work with a 2x9? If I do this will there be an extra non functional position for the shifter?

FYI. You can substitute a set of EITHER a 10-speed OR 11-speed CAMPAGNOLO shifters for 9-speed SHIMANO shifters:

If you use an 11-speed Campagnolo shifter, then you would connect the rear derailleur cable on an 8-/9-speed Shimano rear derailleur as you normally would.

If you want to use the 10-speed Campagnolo shifter then you simply need to hubbub the rear derailleur cable anchoring:

The cost of a set of Campagnolo shifters on eBay will range between about $100 (used in good condition ... you can find new Campagnolo shifters on eBay starting around $150) to $500+ ... let your budget & aesthetic sensibilities be your guide.

Originally Posted by grandamn .

How is it that I see some people on eBay selling one for a 3x9 and saying it will work with a 2x9? If I do this will there be an extra non functional position for the shifter?
With a Triple capable front shifter on a Double crankset, it is indeed simply a matter of an extra un-used shifter position where the extra position is made "non functional" by the front derailleur's stops.