Can I use Shimano Ultegra rear derailleur on 9-speed??

Springsteen

Feb 3, 2005
Hello there. Have been browsing the forums for a while and love it. I use my Specialized Allez for transportation. Have just fallen in love with cycling, and am learning my way around things. Plan on getting a better bike in August, but for now I like the Specialized I have. Came with all Tiagra components. Upgraded to 105 front derailluer after the tiagara busted.

Due to a problem with popping spokes, decided to upgrade to MA3/Shimano 105 wheelset. This is getting done tomorrow and I might tell them to upgrade the rear derailluer. Couple questions on that.

1- Can I run ultegra (they are having a sale, only 10 bucks more than 105) rear derailluer on a 9-speed?? or can I only do a 105??

and 2- Will I notice a major difference upgrading from Tiagara to 105 or Ultegra??

thoughts....

Springsteen said:
Hello there. Have been browsing the forums for a while and love it. I use my Specialized Allez for transportation. Have just fallen in love with cycling, and am learning my way around things. Plan on getting a better bike in August, but for now I like the Specialized I have. Came with all Tiagra components. Upgraded to 105 front derailluer after the tiagara busted.

Due to a problem with popping spokes, decided to upgrade to MA3/Shimano 105 wheelset. This is getting done tomorrow and I might tell them to upgrade the rear derailluer. Couple questions on that.

1- Can I run ultegra (they are having a sale, only 10 bucks more than 105) rear derailluer on a 9-speed?? or can I only do a 105??

and 2- Will I notice a major difference upgrading from Tiagara to 105 or Ultegra??

thoughts....
I'm not techy, but if your 105 is 9 spd, then running a 9sp Ultegra rear derailluer is fine. Correct me if I'm wrong someone?

As for question 2, the biggest jump will be from Tiagra to 105. The move from 105 to Ultegra will be much less noticeable (some would argue that you might not even be able to tell the difference). The Ultegra may be a smoother gear change and obviously a little lighter.

Springsteen said:

thoughts....
Agree with Walrus, the Ultegra will work fine and may shift a little smoother. Whether it's worth another $10 to upgrade from 105 is up to you, but I'd do it since I've had such great service life from Ultegra stuff.

Sounds like you're getting a good, durable wheelset too. I've got MA-3s with Ultegra hubs on an older bike, and they hold up great.

Springsteen said:

thoughts....
Don't waste your money upgrading a tiagra RD to 105. Just buy some beer.

Walrus said:
He already upgrade to 105...
That's not the way I read it.And since he is getting another bike shortly,there is no point. Just go for more beer.

Any 10 speed Shimano derailleur will work with 9 speed shifting, so yes, it'll work.

ganderctr said:
Any 10 speed Shimano derailleur will work with 9 speed shifting, so yes, it'll work.
Thanks for the replies, appreciated. With the savings, I will be a six pack of Molson then.