can I use the new Ultegra shifters on a 9 speed hub?

Can I use the 08 Shimano Ultegra SL ST-6600 G Shifter Brake Lever on a
9 speed hub?

I plan on placing a 9 speed ultegra cassette on a Shimano 600 hub,
which can accomodate a 9 speed hub it sounds after looking around on
other posts.

Does anyone know if this will or won' work?

[email protected] wrote:
> Can I use the 08 Shimano Ultegra SL ST-6600 G Shifter Brake Lever on a
> 9 speed hub?
>
> I plan on placing a 9 speed ultegra cassette on a Shimano 600 hub,
> which can accomodate a 9 speed hub it sounds after looking around on
> other posts.
>
> Does anyone know if this will or won' work?

You can put a 10-speed cassette on a 8/9/10-speed hub (they're all the
same width). What you can't do is put a 9-speed cassette on a 10-speed
specific hub, because the 10-speed hub has taller splines that the
10-speed cassette can accommodate but the 9-speed cassette cannot.

You can use a 9-speed rear derailleur with a 10-speed cassette and
chain, since the actuation ratio is the same (Shimano's rear derailleurs
at least are a marvel of interchangeability).

So you can use the ST-6600 STI levers with a 9-speed hub, but you'll
need to replace the cassette, chain, front derailleur and probably at
least the small chainring on the front (to narrow the front spacing).
You could try it first without changing the front derailleur and
chainring and see how it works. If it works okay, you've saved some
money. If not, you can swap them out.

Alternatively, Sheldon Brown has a paragraph and photo on one of his web
pages about an alternate cable clamping on the rear derailleur that
effectively changes the actuation ratio so that it pulls enough cable to
shift a 9-speed cassette with a 10-speed shifter. I'm not sure how well
this would work, though.

I've found that the Shimano 10-speed chains wear out very quickly. I've
gotten better results and good shifting from the Wipperman chains for
Shimano 10-speed. Haven't tried SRAM's 10-speed chains.

Mike Johnson

Quoth Michael Johnson:

> Alternatively,Sheldon Brownhas a paragraph and photo on one of his web
> pages about an alternate cable clamping on the rear derailleur that
> effectively changes the actuation ratio so that it pulls enough cable to
> shift a 9-speed cassette with a 10-speed shifter.

http://sheldonbrown.com/alternate

Sheldon " http://sheldonbrown.com/speeds " Brown
| He not busy being born is busy dying. |
| -Bob Dylan |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide