Can Kirchen win this thing?

stilesiii

Aug 31, 2005
I thought this tour might get interesting if Valverde didn't take control of this thing by showing some great form early. Even though he got into yellow early, today, he didn't show the form he had in the Dauphine.

Kirchen is looking very impressive.

What can he do in the mountains and does he have a chance?

I've been really impressed with Chipotle and Columbia, didn't think American teams would have any real impact. Encouraging for American cycling.

stilesiii said:
I thought this tour might get interesting if Valverde didn't take control of this thing by showing some great form early. Even though he got into yellow early, today, he didn't show the form he had in the Dauphine.

What can he do in the mountains and does he have a chance.

I've been really impressed with Chipotle and Columbia, didn't think American teams would have any real impact. Encouraging for American cycling.
US teams all seem very focused on the TdF. Thus, all the other races are all preparation, and they don't perform as well. If Astana was in the TdF, I doubt they would have performed as well in the Giro.

stilesiii said:

What can he do in the mountains and does he have a chance.

no,

please close the thread or delete.

thunder said:
no,

please close the thread or delete.
Nothing like being direct.

Wheel sucker Evans won't do it. Valverde didn't look good today.

After 4 stages, who's the man?

stilesiii said:
Nothing like being direct.

Wheel sucker Evans won't do it. Valverde didn't look good today.

After 4 stages, who's the man?
unnecessary bandwidth stupid. now shutup.

Don't mind him...he's just upset about American teams showing well... ;)

stilesiii said:

I don't think he's ready... next year he might show well. i think he'll fade in the latter big mountain stages... but you never know... before last year's tour most (myself included) thought the same thing about Contador and look what he did.

stilesiii said:
Chipotle and Columbia are going for stage wins since they don't have a snowballs chance in hell at GC... Devolder might be able to pull off a top ten for Columbia... other than that they are looking to be opportunistic and go for stage wins.. that's their chance to get some air time for their sponsors.

stilesiii said:

No, Kirchen cannot win. He will not be able to hang consistently in the high mountains with Menchov, Evans to mention a few. Kirchen is a high quality all around rider that is above Schumacher and below a Sammy Sanchez, Ricco or Valverde as a GC threat for a GT. All are similar in that they pack great punch on hilly courses, where guys like Evans, Menchov, and Schleck don't. I'll guess around 8th to 10th if he focuses on GC, but he could blow up in the Alps on GC if he switches focus to the Green Jersey.

missile said:
You must not be getting any or you wouldn't always be in such a bad mood. :eek:
Friggin' hysterical. I think I just said the same thing awhile back, eh thumper?

The boys should chip in and buy him a night of pleasure with a chick (or guy) already so he stops being such a cynical crabass, buzzkill. :rolleyes:

C'dale Girl said:
Friggin' hysterical. I think I just said the same thing awhile back, eh thumper?

The boys should chip in and buy him a night of pleasure with a chick (or guy) already so he stops being such a cynical crabass, buzzkill. :rolleyes:
...I think "night" is being generous..

I think (with the help of some expert advice) that he's going for green... he can do it by scoring in the rolly stages if the sprinters can't keep up.

thoughtforfood said:
...I think "night" is being generous..
No, no, no . . . not under the circumstances. It appears to be LONG overdue. So, an hour won't work. We want long lasting, lingering effects from the release of his happy hormones . . . if you're gonna do it, do it right so we all get the most benefit out of it. Otherwise, you're just wasting your money.

thunder said:
NS you have a penchant for horse faced flicks chix
Can someone explain what "horse faced flicks chix" are before I respond in like kind...
confused.gif

Crankyfeet said:
I think (with the help of some expert advice) that he's going for green... he can do it by scoring in the rolly stages if the sprinters can't keep up.
treacherous cranky

KK has finished 4th, 2nd, 11th and 2nd.

If you see his finishing speed in s2 he made up about 10 lengths from 250 metres on Hushovd, and he was not in the slipstream, whereas Thor got a leadout.

If he timed his attack in s1 he could have won the stage.

KK is going Eddy Merckx on the peloton. He had the legs to have 2 stages out of the 4, and a runner up in the tt. Amazing. Never seen this level from him before.

Crankyfeet said:
Can someone explain what "horse faced flicks chix" are before I respond in like kind...
confused.gif
He's referencing Liv Tyler's long face and the fact that she's a female movie star (quite scary that I can interpret that I realize :eek: ).

But, Cranky, I was just going to ask the same about your last post. What are you saying? I'm afraid you might be hangin' out with thumper too much and he's rubbing off on you . . . stay away from the ledge Cranky . . . don't do it.

Crockett said:
No, Kirchen cannot win. He will not be able to hang consistently in the high mountains with Menchov, Evans to mention a few. Kirchen is a high quality all around rider that is above Schumacher and below a Sammy Sanchez, Ricco or Valverde as a GC threat for a GT. All are similar in that they pack great punch on hilly courses, where guys like Evans, Menchov, and Schleck don't. I'll guess around 8th to 10th if he focuses on GC, but he could blow up in the Alps on GC if he switches focus to the Green Jersey.
I have never been impressed with either Menchov or the wheel sucker in the mountains. Both have been hanging around the last few tours, but neither has shown any tenacity or grit. It takes both to win the tour. Leipheimer is the same sort, you have to take the yellow jersey; you don't win it by trying not to lose it.

I'm not saying Kirchen will win, but this is setting up for a real dark horse. So why not Kirchen. He's on form and was top ten last year, and is riding with confidence. Also, I know this will sicken some, but big George has experience to help protect him.

C'dale Girl said:
He's referencing Liv Tyler's long face and the fact that she's a female movie star (quite scary that I can interpret that I realize :eek: ).

But, Cranky, I was just going to ask the same about your last post. What are you saying? I'm afraid you might be hangin' out with thumper too much and he's rubbing off on you . . . stay away from the ledge Cranky . . . don't do it.

rubbing off on you... [insert Beavis an Butthead laugh here]

stilesiii said:
I have never been impressed with either Menchov or the wheel sucker in the mountains. Both have been hanging around the last few tours, but neither has shown any tenacity or grit. It takes both to win the tour. Leipheimer is the same sort, you have to take the yellow jersey; you don't win it by trying not to lose it.

I'm not saying Kirchen will win, but this is setting up for a real dark horse. So why not Kirchen. He's on form and was top ten last year, and is riding with confidence. Also, I know this will sicken some, but big George has experience to help protect him.
you mean George will carry around a sharps bucket?