Can Kreitler roller belt be repaired?

Freewheeling

Guest
Hi:

Just thought I'd check before I bought a new one. The belt If have for my
Challenger rollers (about 5 years old) is coming apart where the bond is
located. Not yet quite completely broken. Is there a way to repair this,
or should I just buy a new one? Also, are there altenatives that can be
used in place of the urethene belt?

--
--Scott

Freewheeling wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Just thought I'd check before I bought a new one. The belt If have

for my
> Challenger rollers (about 5 years old) is coming apart where the bond

is
> located. Not yet quite completely broken. Is there a way to repair

this,
> or should I just buy a new one? Also, are there altenatives that can

be
> used in place of the urethene belt?
>
> --
> --Scott

Scotty,
This is a simple fix. Grab your chubb from the toolbox and warm it up
with your choice of techniques. Once it gets hot direct it at the loose
bond on the belt and fire away. Should do the trick or at the very
least give you some sorely needed action.

Otherwise how about this idea. Instead of spamming every single
incorrect bicycling newsgroup, try rec.bicycles.tech.

And before you hop back on the recumbent remember to tuck the
sweatpants back into your tube sock.

Pioneering ***** related solutions since '86
-DA74

I too have ridden my rollers for 5 solid years logging thousands of
sweaty miles and now can't bear the thought of having to spend 10$ on a
belt.. (although I did try duct tape briefly during the blizzard of
ought-2 when I couldn't get out of my home to buy anything for 3 days.)

I too have ridden my rollers for 5 solid years logging thousands of
sweaty miles and now can't bear the thought of having to spend 10$ on a
belt.. (although I did try duct tape briefly during the blizzard of
ought-2 when I couldn't get out of my home to buy anything for 3 days.)

Lets see..... that works out to about .01 cents a day for your
usage...........

Buy a new belt. It will hurt less than picking yourself up off the floor
and untangling the belt from your chain and rear derailleur.

"Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> Just thought I'd check before I bought a new one. The belt If have for my
> Challenger rollers (about 5 years old) is coming apart where the bond is
> located. Not yet quite completely broken. Is there a way to repair this,
> or should I just buy a new one? Also, are there altenatives that can be
> used in place of the urethene belt?
>
> --
> --Scott

Always gracious huh, Dave? Fortunately this chip-on-the-shoulder response
is the exception, rather than the rule, in sport. If, for instance, one
were to post a similar interrogative on the rowing newsgroup about some
aspect of boat or erg a legend like Steve Redgrave (with five olympic golds)
would be as likely to answer as anyone. I guess it's as Kissinger used to
say, where the stakes and the chubbs are smallest the egos seem to be the
largest, and the offensiveness of discourse the most profane.

"DA74" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Freewheeling wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> Just thought I'd check before I bought a new one. The belt If have

> for my
>> Challenger rollers (about 5 years old) is coming apart where the bond

> is
>> located. Not yet quite completely broken. Is there a way to repair

> this,
>> or should I just buy a new one? Also, are there altenatives that can

> be
>> used in place of the urethene belt?
>>
>> --
>> --Scott

> Scotty,
> This is a simple fix. Grab your chubb from the toolbox and warm it up
> with your choice of techniques. Once it gets hot direct it at the loose
> bond on the belt and fire away. Should do the trick or at the very
> least give you some sorely needed action.
>
> Otherwise how about this idea. Instead of spamming every single
> incorrect bicycling newsgroup, try rec.bicycles.tech.
>
> And before you hop back on the recumbent remember to tuck the
> sweatpants back into your tube sock.
>
> Pioneering ***** related solutions since '86
> -DA74

"Remove No Spam to Reply"
<(nospam)newsgroups(nospam)@allanoxenreiter(nospam).com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Lets see..... that works out to about .01 cents a day for your
> usage...........
>
> Buy a new belt. It will hurt less than picking yourself up off the floor
> and untangling the belt from your chain and rear derailleur.

When Al was alive he'd generally suggest, over the phone, that if the belt
stretched or something one could just return it to be rebonded... and of
course there was the famous lifetime warranty. No more, I guess. But I
took from the exchange the insight that rebonding was not a particularly big
deal, and there's no part of the belt that's a problem other than the bond,
after all. .01 cent a day or not, if it's an expense one need not occur then
what's the sense of blowing 20 bucks? I'd rather buy someone I like a good
meal.

Anyway thanks for the reasonably gracious answer. If Dave Astor is typical
of the racing crowd, it needs a few more adults. (And I'm paying way too
much attention to Cyclism, Lance or no Lance.)

> "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Hi:
>>
>> Just thought I'd check before I bought a new one. The belt If have for
>> my
>> Challenger rollers (about 5 years old) is coming apart where the bond is
>> located. Not yet quite completely broken. Is there a way to repair
>> this,
>> or should I just buy a new one? Also, are there altenatives that can be
>> used in place of the urethene belt?
>>
>> --
>> --Scott

What? Are you Dave's devotee, or something, posting the same servile and
uncivil content thrice?

Anyway, Al Kreitler used to say the belts were supposed to last indefinitely
due to some sort of special urethane compound... so I guess not. As to
expectations, I've put in over 10,000 kilometers on a Concept II erg during
that same period and nothing has worn out. And I mean *nothing*. Not even
close. And an erg is a lot more complicated than a set of rollers.

I'm hoping you guys are just adolescents, because if the adults in the
racing group are generally this emotionally re... I'm paying way too much
attention to bike racing. Way too much.

"bikeguy11968" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I too have ridden my rollers for 5 solid years logging thousands of
> sweaty miles and now can't bear the thought of having to spend 10$ on a
> belt.. (although I did try duct tape briefly during the blizzard of
> ought-2 when I couldn't get out of my home to buy anything for 3 days.)

"bikeguy11968" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I too have ridden my rollers for 5 solid years logging thousands of
> sweaty miles and now can't bear the thought of having to spend 10$ on a
> belt.. (although I did try duct tape briefly during the blizzard of
> ought-2 when I couldn't get out of my home to buy anything for 3 days.)

It's urethane, so you can just heat the break over a high heat source (say
an electric stove) until it gets "gooey" and it'll rebond good as new. I
figured something like this, but wanted to check with someone who'd actually
done it. You guys are such impolite, know-nothing, smartass dildos.
Sheesh. What are you, about 14? (Apologies to the bulk of level-headed
14-year-olds.)