Can someone explain this TT position (Eric Wohlberg):

> Is that a Ergostem hes using and are his bars almost touching his front wheel?

What's to explain? Lower elbow pads reudce his frontal area and he goes faster. How
complicated is that?

Cheers,

Jim

---

"Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Is that a Ergostem hes using and are his bars almost touching his front wheel?
>
> What's to explain? Lower elbow pads reudce his frontal area and he
goes
> faster. How complicated is that?

You can overdo this and being able to maintain your power output in such a low position isn't always
possible for an extended period of time.

Phil Holman

"Phil Holman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Is that a Ergostem hes using and are his bars almost touching
his
> > > front wheel?
> >
> > What's to explain? Lower elbow pads reudce his frontal area and he
> goes
> > faster. How complicated is that?
>
> You can overdo this and being able to maintain your power output in
such
> a low position isn't always possible for an extended period of time.

While overdoing it didn't Eric just win the Canadian TT championships? Explain how you can criticize
the setup of the winner.

Tom Kunich wrote:
> "Phil Holman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

> his

>>>What's to explain? Lower elbow pads reudce his frontal area and he
>>
>>goes
>>
>>>faster. How complicated is that?
>>
>>You can overdo this and being able to maintain your power output in
>
> such
>
>>a low position isn't always possible for an extended period of time.
>

> While overdoing it didn't Eric just win the Canadian TT championships? Explain how you can
> criticize the setup of the winner.

don't think this was a "criticism" as much as an observation...

> "Phil Holman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > What's to explain? Lower elbow pads reudce his frontal area and he goes faster. How
> > > complicated is that?
> >
> >You can overdo this and being able to maintain your power output in such a low position isn't
> >always possible for an extended period of time.
>
> While overdoing it didn't Eric just win the Canadian TT championships? Explain how you can
> criticize the setup of the winner.

Tom responds once again with answer that indicates the cheese has slipped off his cracker. I don't
have to explain this to anyone except you and I'm trying not to do that any more.

Phil Holman

Lower isn't _always_ necessarily better, though, is it? Some frontal area measurements I did of Matt
DeCanio earlier this year tend to confirm this. The method I used to document frontal area was
similar to the one I did on myself at:

http://tinyurl.com/c0td

--
==================
Kraig Willett www.biketechreview.com

"Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Is that a Ergostem hes using and are his bars almost touching his front wheel?
>
> What's to explain? Lower elbow pads reudce his frontal area and he goes faster. How complicated
> is that?

Does anyone have the url for the photo in discussion? My newsserver is not picking up the first post
of this thread.

Decanio "before" (where the goal was ostensibly to get "low") and "after" some tweaks which clearly
resulted in a taller, but narrower position:

http://tinyurl.com/floa

one example where "caveman" (thanks, Andy) fit techniques prevailed in the world of hard data.

--
==================
Kraig Willett www.biketechreview.com
==================

> Does anyone have the url for the photo in discussion? My newsserver is not picking up the first
> post of this thread.

Here is the first post again:

Is that a Ergostem hes using and are his bars almost touching his front wheel?

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/races03/roadnationals/itt/elitemen/pages/DSC_
0051.htm

His "Lemond" is a Cervelo correct? Does his bike have a headtube?

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/races03/roadnationals/itt/elitemen/pages/DSC_
52.htm

BTW he demolished the field at the Canadian TT Championships.

> Is that a Ergostem hes using and are his bars almost touching his front wheel?

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/races03/roadnationals/itt/elitemen/pages/DSC_0051.htm

This rider is relatively short, and because of the frame size (and almost non-existent head tube) he
rides, it is harder to get a low time trial position. His TT position is not so unusual if you just
look at the rider. That set-up was all he could do to get a position he liked. I seem to remember
that Postal had to do some extra machining on Heras' TT bike to get him low enough too. Heras is
also a shorter than average rider. For someone in the 5'7" and up range, you'd have to be pretty
darn flexible to need such a set-up. Abraham Olanao used to have some odd TT set-ups, but I don't
remember how tall he is.

> His "Lemond" is a Cervelo correct? Does his bike have a headtube?

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/races03/roadnationals/itt/elitemen/pages/DSC_0057.htm

Yep, without a doubt, a Cervelo 'Lemond' just like the 'Looks' CSC ran last year.

John Rees

Wow dooshbag, I thought he was more saying "you can overdo it, power can be harder to maintain" not
saying that Eric did that.

Rope

"John Rees" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Is that a Ergostem hes using and are his bars almost touching his front wheel?

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/races03/roadnationals/itt/elitemen/page
s/DSC_0051.htm

> This rider is relatively short, and because of the frame size (and
almost
> non-existent head tube) he rides, it is harder to get a low time
trial
> position.

Nevertheless, I think that in a wind tunnel this guy would test really high drag. Note that his arms
and body have opened an air scoop in his chest area. Pulling the stem up and forward would close
this up but I don't remember what the UCI regulations on that are.

Eric must be one strong guy or the competition must have not been on that day.

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote
> Nevertheless, I think that in a wind tunnel this guy would test really high drag. Note that his
> arms and body have opened an air scoop in his chest area.

Ah... irony. We don't get irony around here anymore.

Anyway, once he sits down he looks a little more like this:
http://www.canoe.ca/PanAmImages/jul25_15.jpg

---

"Kraig Willett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Lower isn't _always_ necessarily better, though, is it?

All other things being the same, lower elbow positions generally reduce frontal area.

In the web site you reference, you moved the elbows out wide so that they were no longer within the
profile of the torso. Thus, all other things were not the same and net frontal area was increased by
a combination of reduced frontal area of the head and torso but increased (exposed) frontal area of
the arms. What do you think your results would have been if you had used an adjustable stem (as does
Wohlberg) to maintain the elbow width while lowering elbow pads?

Of course you may eventually reach a point at which further lowering the elbows does not reduce
frontal area because the highest point on the back doesn't change. However, that is SO far away from
the point that most cyclists will ever reach that its somewhat of a moot point.

Cheers,

Jim

---

Well judging by that photo I'm wondering why he doesn't stuff his cigarette packs up his jersey
sleeve like everybody else? And why has he chosen to stick one up *EACH* side of his shorts for a
relatively short ITT?

>Ah... irony. We don't get irony around here anymore.
>
>Anyway, once he sits down he looks a little more like this:
>http://www.canoe.ca/PanAmImages/jul25_15.jpg
>

>---

"Kraig Willett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Lower isn't _always_ necessarily better, though, is it? Some frontal area measurements I did of
> Matt DeCanio earlier this year tend to confirm this. The method I used to document frontal area
> was similar to the one I did on myself at:

In fact Eric is seems to be using a more upright position than I've seen him use in the past.
Perhaps he opened up his position because of the amount of climbing this year's TT involved.

He does use 700C wheels currently (contrary to what Jame says), in some other pictures you can see
he is even lower and the top of his wheel projects between his aerobars.

-Amit

> Well judging by that photo I'm wondering why he doesn't stuff his cigarette packs up his jersey
> sleeve like everybody else? And why has he chosen to stick one up *EACH* side of his shorts for a
> relatively short ITT?

Probably for the Worlds most of the riders will go back to putting their smokes in their sleeves, as
that is the local style in Hamilton.

-Amit

Tom Kunich wrote:

> Eric must be one strong guy or the competition must have not been on that day.

Are you kidding?

"Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Kraig Willett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Lower isn't _always_ necessarily better, though, is it?
>
> All other things being the same, lower elbow positions generally reduce frontal area.

Sounds like we are generally in agreement then. IME, the claim above is difficult to achieve
practically (much easier with an ergostem - not a lot of people have those, though).

> In the web site you reference, you moved the elbows out wide so that they were no longer within
> the profile of the torso. Thus, all other things
were
> not the same and net frontal area was increased by a combination of
reduced
> frontal area of the head and torso but increased (exposed) frontal area of the arms. What do you
> think your results would have been if you had used
an
> adjustable stem (as does Wohlberg) to maintain the elbow width while lowering elbow pads?

I would expect frontal area to qualitatively match the results that a circular cylinder based
analysis would yield.

> Of course you may eventually reach a point at which further lowering the elbows does not reduce
> frontal area because the highest point on the back doesn't change. However, that is SO far away
> from the point that most cyclists will ever reach that its somewhat of a moot point.

You are probably right.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of getting low. I do, however, see a lot of people going low _and_
wide (the second DeCanio link is an example) - and, IME, there is a perception that _low_ is all
that matters. As you so keenly pointed out, it is _also_ important to monitor width.

--