Can someone help with Cinelli?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by M Santos, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. M Santos

    M Santos Guest

    Hello all

    New to this group, I could use help identifying my Cinelli I bought from a
    neighbor a few years ago. There is nothing on the bike to identify a model
    designation. I understand it may be considered "vintage", my neighbor
    purchased it new in the early to mid 80s. The serial number is 84820 (1984
    model??). It looks similar to the supercorsa at cinelli's website with the
    lugged Columbus frame, it has the full Dura Ace package. I emailed the folks
    at the website but they were completely unhelpful. Any information would be
    greatly appreciated

    Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. M Santos wrote:
    > Hello all
    >
    > New to this group, I could use help identifying my Cinelli I bought from a
    > neighbor a few years ago. There is nothing on the bike to identify a model
    > designation. I understand it may be considered "vintage", my neighbor
    > purchased it new in the early to mid 80s. The serial number is 84820 (1984
    > model??). It looks similar to the supercorsa at cinelli's website with the
    > lugged Columbus frame, it has the full Dura Ace package. I emailed the folks
    > at the website but they were completely unhelpful. Any information would be
    > greatly appreciated
    >
    > Thanks!

    Picture?

    But Cinelli lugged steel bicycles are a real find in spite of having DA
    on it.

  3. M Santos

    M Santos Guest

    Not familiar with newsgroup etiquette...do I post pictures here, or email
    them directly to you?

    Thanks

    > M Santos wrote:
    > > Hello all
    > >
    > > New to this group, I could use help identifying my Cinelli I bought from

    > > neighbor a few years ago. There is nothing on the bike to identify a

    model
    > > designation. I understand it may be considered "vintage", my neighbor
    > > purchased it new in the early to mid 80s. The serial number is 84820

    (1984
    > > model??). It looks similar to the supercorsa at cinelli's website with

    the
    > > lugged Columbus frame, it has the full Dura Ace package. I emailed the

    folks
    > > at the website but they were completely unhelpful. Any information would

    be
    > > greatly appreciated
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > Picture?
    >
    > But Cinelli lugged steel bicycles are a real find in spite of having DA
    > on it.

  4. You don't want to post images in a non-binary newsgroup, so best thing is to
    upload them to one of your web sites (you DO have one, don't you?) and
    provide the link. The Columbus sticker on the seat tube (if it's still
    there) will also tell you something about the frame material (SL perhaps?).

    Were they even making Dura Ace in '84? I remember meeting a guy on a ride
    around '86 or '87 who had a Dura Ace equipped bike with that new-fangled
    "index shifting". He let me ride it and I was amazed... I went back to the
    local bike shop and told my buddies about these amazing components and how
    much better it was than the Campy Super Record stuff we were riding...
    everybody just shrugged and said their Super Record stuff worked just fine
    and there was no reason to switch....

    "M Santos" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Not familiar with newsgroup etiquette...do I post pictures here, or email
    > them directly to you?

  5. M Santos

    M Santos Guest

    "Brian Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > You don't want to post images in a non-binary newsgroup, so best thing is

    > upload them to one of your web sites (you DO have one, don't you?)

    Regrettably, I do not

    and
    > provide the link. The Columbus sticker on the seat tube (if it's still
    > there) will also tell you something about the frame material (SL

    perhaps?).

    Does SLX mean anything to you?

    > Were they even making Dura Ace in '84?

    I'm just guessing it's from '84 because of the first 2 positions in the
    serial number. I could be way off.

    Again, thanks for any info you can give.

  6. dtmeister

    dtmeister Guest

    M Santos <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Brian Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> You don't want to post images in a non-binary newsgroup, so best thing is

    >> upload them to one of your web sites (you DO have one, don't you?)

    > Regrettably, I do not

    Sign up to one of the many free photo album sites, and post it there. Or
    email to my gmail account (remove the n-o-sp-am) and I'll post it on a
    website and provide the link.

  7. On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:06:48 -0800, "Brian Phillips"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Were they even making Dura Ace in '84?

    Yes.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  8. dtmeister

    dtmeister Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:

    > M Santos wrote:
    >> Hello all
    >>
    >> New to this group, I could use help identifying my Cinelli I bought from a
    >> neighbor a few years ago. There is nothing on the bike to identify a model
    >> designation. I understand it may be considered "vintage", my neighbor
    >> purchased it new in the early to mid 80s. The serial number is 84820 (1984
    >> model??). It looks similar to the supercorsa at cinelli's website with the
    >> lugged Columbus frame, it has the full Dura Ace package. I emailed the folks
    >> at the website but they were completely unhelpful. Any information would be
    >> greatly appreciated
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > Picture?

    Here are links to some pictures of this bike that were emailed to me.

    http://dt.c47.org/MVC-013F.JPG
    http://dt.c47.org/MVC-014F.JPG
    http://dt.c47.org/MVC-016F.JPG
    http://dt.c47.org/MVC-020F.JPG

    --
    ..dt

  9. Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:
    > M Santos wrote:
    > > Hello all
    > >
    > > New to this group, I could use help identifying my Cinelli I bought from a
    > > neighbor a few years ago. There is nothing on the bike to identify a model
    > > designation. I understand it may be considered "vintage", my neighbor
    > > purchased it new in the early to mid 80s. The serial number is 84820 (1984
    > > model??). It looks similar to the supercorsa at cinelli's website with the
    > > lugged Columbus frame, it has the full Dura Ace package. I emailed the folks
    > > at the website but they were completely unhelpful. Any information would be
    > > greatly appreciated
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > Picture?
    >
    > But Cinelli lugged steel bicycles are a real find in spite of having DA
    > on it.

    Too bad this bike is not a high quality lugged steel Japanese made
    frame that would better complement the quality Shimano Dura-Ace
    components.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

  10. Brian Phillips wrote:
    > Were they even making Dura Ace in '84?...

    The use of the Dura-Ace name for Shimano's top component line was over
    a decade old in 1984.

    See
    <http://dura-ace.shimano.com/publish/content/duraace/en/home/history.html>.

    --

  11. On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 03:41:45 +0000, dtmeister wrote:

    > Here are links to some pictures of this bike that were emailed to me.
    >
    > http://dt.c47.org/MVC-013F.JPG
    > http://dt.c47.org/MVC-014F.JPG
    > http://dt.c47.org/MVC-016F.JPG
    > http://dt.c47.org/MVC-020F.JPG

    Very nice bike. Classic Cinelli. I wonder about the components, though.
    Could they possibly be original? Hard to imagine a Cinelli coming with
    Shimano components.

    Oh, and I hope you don't need to keep the stem and seatpost that far
    exposed. The bike looks like it is too small for the rider, especially
    with the stem being that far up.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front
    _`\(,_ | of enough typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of
    (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the collected works of Shakespeare. The
    internet has proven this not to be the case.

  12. Larry Coon

    Larry Coon Guest

    M Santos wrote:

    > Does SLX mean anything to you?

    If I remember right, SLX was SL that had spiral
    ribbing on the inside to make it stiffer.

    Larry Coon
    University of California

  13. It may not have the original components. The crankset looks like a
    shimano 105 or rx 100. The brake levers look like modolo kronos. I am
    guessing that someone got the frame and then put an assortment of
    components on it. However, it looks like a nice enough frame and bike.
    If it is columbus slx it is from the mid 80's or newer.

    Andres

  14. E Goforth

    E Goforth Guest

    Hello,

    I've always been a Campy guy, but I remember participating in one of my
    first races, it would have been in early '85. A guy showed up with a
    bike that had this newfangled Dura-Ace stuff on it and everybody was
    crowding around to look at it. It had this fancy new indexed shifting
    that nobody had ever seen before. A lot of the guys checking out the
    Dura-Ace stuff had Super Record on their bikes, I had lowly Nuevo Gran
    Sport on mine.

    Dura-Ace had been around quite a while, but when they came out with that
    generation of Dura-Ace that introduced indexed shifting, or at least
    indexed shifting that worked, it was a really big deal.

    -Eric

  15. Brian Phillips wrote:
    > You don't want to post images in a non-binary newsgroup, so best thing is to
    > upload them to one of your web sites (you DO have one, don't you?) and
    > provide the link. The Columbus sticker on the seat tube (if it's still
    > there) will also tell you something about the frame material (SL perhaps?).
    >
    > Were they even making Dura Ace in '84?

    Sure-

    I remember meeting a guy on a ride
    > around '86 or '87 who had a Dura Ace equipped bike with that new-fangled
    > "index shifting". He let me ride it and I was amazed... I went back to the
    > local bike shop and told my buddies about these amazing components and how
    > much better it was than the Campy Super Record stuff we were riding...
    > everybody just shrugged and said their Super Record stuff worked just fine
    > and there was no reason to switch....
    >
    > "M Santos" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Not familiar with newsgroup etiquette...do I post pictures here, or email
    > > them directly to you?

  16. M Santos

    M Santos Guest

    > Very nice bike. Classic Cinelli. I wonder about the components, though.
    > Could they possibly be original? Hard to imagine a Cinelli coming with
    > Shimano components.
    >
    > Oh, and I hope you don't need to keep the stem and seatpost that far
    > exposed. The bike looks like it is too small for the rider, especially
    > with the stem being that far up.
    >
    > --
    >
    > David L. Johnson

    Well, here's the story of how I came to own this bike:

    A few years ago, a friend and neighbor down the street from me was paralyzed
    in an ice climbing accident. At some point there after I purchased the bike
    to help him out in a cash flow sort of way. I paid plenty for it, but I
    didn't have the heart to dicker with him. I intended to use the bike, but as
    David noted, the bike is too small for the rider (me). I tried to make
    adjustments, I had the local bike shop get a wider set of handle bars to
    accommodate my wider shoulders, I got a different saddle, I changed the
    pedals from the original clip ins because these baskets gave me just a
    little bit more room to extend my knees, I also had the chain ring set
    changed to give me taller ratios. Unfortunately, these changes did not
    accomplish my goal, and I can't use the bike comfortably.

    I did keep all of the components I took off of it.

    My friend bought the bike new at a shop in western Canada. The sticker on
    the seat post tube indicates Dura Ace parts, I'm guessing it was built that
    way rather than converted from something else after he bought it.

    Any opinions as to the bike's worth?

    Thanks again

  17. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    David L. Johnson wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 03:41:45 +0000, dtmeister wrote:
    >
    > > Here are links to some pictures of this bike that were emailed to me.
    > >
    > > http://dt.c47.org/MVC-013F.JPG
    > > http://dt.c47.org/MVC-014F.JPG
    > > http://dt.c47.org/MVC-016F.JPG
    > > http://dt.c47.org/MVC-020F.JPG

    > Very nice bike. Classic Cinelli. I wonder about the components, though.
    > Could they possibly be original? Hard to imagine a Cinelli coming with
    > Shimano components.
    >
    > Oh, and I hope you don't need to keep the stem and seatpost that far
    > exposed. The bike looks like it is too small for the rider, especially
    > with the stem being that far up.
    >
    > --
    >
    > David L. Johnson
    >
    > __o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front
    > _`\(,_ | of enough typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of
    > (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the collected works of Shakespeare. The
    > internet has proven this not to be the case.

    RE post and stem height: I think you're right about the frame being
    small, especially with the OPs choice in upgrades based on leg
    extension. Just wanted to mention that there's nothing "wrong" with
    saddle height equalling the bar height. He sounds like a casual rider,
    not an uber-flexible pro sprinter. Besides, I know a few fast guys on
    Rivendells.
    The Shimano parts I can make out look like RSX, which are functional
    but low end. If you're not captivated by the idea of riding a classic
    steel Cinelli, I'd craigslist it (including the original parts) and see
    what you can get. The value is a little hard to estimate as it can be
    based largely on your locale. The paint and chrome look good. If I saw
    this in a NYC second hand shop I'd guess the price tag on it would be
    somewhere between $800-1200, though I personally wouldn't spend that
    kind of money on it. Craigslist or ebay can be strange in that I can
    see a bike like this going for anywhere between $400-800.
    If you make $600 (which seems reasonable), you can turn around and pick
    up a low end new bike by any of the major manufacturers. It won't get
    the approving nods of fetishists (who'll poopoo the Italian frame with
    Shimano parts anyway), but you'll get brifters, proper fit, some modern
    gewgaws and probably some free servicing.
    /s

  18. On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:19:55 -0500, M Santos wrote:

    > At some point there after I purchased the bike
    > to help him out in a cash flow sort of way. I paid plenty for it, but I
    > didn't have the heart to dicker with him.

    Don't worry about that -- it probably did help him and you got some use
    out of the bike, and now can recoup some of what you spent.

    > changed to give me taller ratios. Unfortunately, these changes did not
    > accomplish my goal, and I can't use the bike comfortably.

    Yeah, I suspected something like that. You can get enough off this to at
    least partially offset the price of a bike that will serve you better.

    > I did keep all of the components I took off of it.

    Good. Were they Dura-Ace? Indexed?

    > My friend bought the bike new at a shop in western Canada. The sticker
    > on the seat post tube indicates Dura Ace parts, I'm guessing it was
    > built that way rather than converted from something else after he bought
    > it.
    >
    > Any opinions as to the bike's worth?

    Someone else has indicated a price range, which seems reasonable to me.
    With the original Dura-Ace parts, especially with the replacement parts
    thrown in as well, you should get something between 500-1000 for it, but
    the high end there would have to be a collector who really wanted this
    brand and vintage, so would be hard to find. The low end would be spent
    by someone looking for a nice bike to ride, who is something of a
    retro-grouch. Such people probably prefer Campy, but you could convince
    him that the Dura Ace fits in since it was original.

    Some guy just looking for a bike will probably not want to pay enough to
    be worth it to you.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but
    _`\(,_ | what canst thou say? -- George Fox.
    (_)/ (_) |

  19. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    dtmeister wrote:
    >>>New to this group, I could use help identifying my Cinelli I bought from a
    >>>neighbor a few years ago. There is nothing on the bike to identify a model
    >>>designation. I understand it may be considered "vintage", my neighbor
    >>>purchased it new in the early to mid 80s. The serial number is 84820 (1984
    >>>model??). It looks similar to the supercorsa at cinelli's website with the
    >>>lugged Columbus frame, it has the full Dura Ace package. I emailed the folks
    >>>at the website but they were completely unhelpful. Any information would be
    >>>greatly appreciated

    > Here are links to some pictures of this bike that were

    emailed to me.

    > http://dt.c47.org/MVC-013F.JPG
    > http://dt.c47.org/MVC-014F.JPG
    > http://dt.c47.org/MVC-016F.JPG
    > http://dt.c47.org/MVC-020F.JPG

    Decal set changed in 1980. Dura Ace became New Dura Ace in
    1983 so probably a 1980 -83 bike.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  20. On 2006-01-18, Brian Phillips <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Were they even making Dura Ace in '84?

    The Dura-Ace name as the high end products in Shimano's line up has been
    around at least since the mid 1970s, although it has gone through many
    changes over the years. Shimano's SIS indexed shifting first appeared
    around 1985 in the Dura-Ace group, and later propogated into lower price
    groups..

    --

    John ([email protected])