Can someone help with Cinelli?

M Santos

Guest
Hello all

New to this group, I could use help identifying my Cinelli I bought from a
neighbor a few years ago. There is nothing on the bike to identify a model
designation. I understand it may be considered "vintage", my neighbor
purchased it new in the early to mid 80s. The serial number is 84820 (1984
model??). It looks similar to the supercorsa at cinelli's website with the
lugged Columbus frame, it has the full Dura Ace package. I emailed the folks
at the website but they were completely unhelpful. Any information would be
greatly appreciated

Thanks!

M Santos wrote:
> Hello all
>
> New to this group, I could use help identifying my Cinelli I bought from a
> neighbor a few years ago. There is nothing on the bike to identify a model
> designation. I understand it may be considered "vintage", my neighbor
> purchased it new in the early to mid 80s. The serial number is 84820 (1984
> model??). It looks similar to the supercorsa at cinelli's website with the
> lugged Columbus frame, it has the full Dura Ace package. I emailed the folks
> at the website but they were completely unhelpful. Any information would be
> greatly appreciated
>
> Thanks!

Picture?

But Cinelli lugged steel bicycles are a real find in spite of having DA
on it.

Not familiar with newsgroup etiquette...do I post pictures here, or email
them directly to you?

Thanks

> M Santos wrote:
> > Hello all
> >
> > New to this group, I could use help identifying my Cinelli I bought from

> > neighbor a few years ago. There is nothing on the bike to identify a

model
> > designation. I understand it may be considered "vintage", my neighbor
> > purchased it new in the early to mid 80s. The serial number is 84820

(1984
> > model??). It looks similar to the supercorsa at cinelli's website with

the
> > lugged Columbus frame, it has the full Dura Ace package. I emailed the

folks
> > at the website but they were completely unhelpful. Any information would

be
> > greatly appreciated
> >
> > Thanks!

> Picture?
>
> But Cinelli lugged steel bicycles are a real find in spite of having DA
> on it.

You don't want to post images in a non-binary newsgroup, so best thing is to
upload them to one of your web sites (you DO have one, don't you?) and
provide the link. The Columbus sticker on the seat tube (if it's still
there) will also tell you something about the frame material (SL perhaps?).

Were they even making Dura Ace in '84? I remember meeting a guy on a ride
around '86 or '87 who had a Dura Ace equipped bike with that new-fangled
"index shifting". He let me ride it and I was amazed... I went back to the
local bike shop and told my buddies about these amazing components and how
much better it was than the Campy Super Record stuff we were riding...
everybody just shrugged and said their Super Record stuff worked just fine
and there was no reason to switch....

"M Santos" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Not familiar with newsgroup etiquette...do I post pictures here, or email
> them directly to you?

"Brian Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You don't want to post images in a non-binary newsgroup, so best thing is

> upload them to one of your web sites (you DO have one, don't you?)

Regrettably, I do not

and
> provide the link. The Columbus sticker on the seat tube (if it's still
> there) will also tell you something about the frame material (SL

perhaps?).

Does SLX mean anything to you?

> Were they even making Dura Ace in '84?

I'm just guessing it's from '84 because of the first 2 positions in the
serial number. I could be way off.

Again, thanks for any info you can give.

M Santos <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Brian Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> You don't want to post images in a non-binary newsgroup, so best thing is

>> upload them to one of your web sites (you DO have one, don't you?)

> Regrettably, I do not

Sign up to one of the many free photo album sites, and post it there. Or
email to my gmail account (remove the n-o-sp-am) and I'll post it on a
website and provide the link.

Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:

> M Santos wrote:
>> Hello all
>>
>> New to this group, I could use help identifying my Cinelli I bought from a
>> neighbor a few years ago. There is nothing on the bike to identify a model
>> designation. I understand it may be considered "vintage", my neighbor
>> purchased it new in the early to mid 80s. The serial number is 84820 (1984
>> model??). It looks similar to the supercorsa at cinelli's website with the
>> lugged Columbus frame, it has the full Dura Ace package. I emailed the folks
>> at the website but they were completely unhelpful. Any information would be
>> greatly appreciated
>>
>> Thanks!

> Picture?

Here are links to some pictures of this bike that were emailed to me.

http://dt.c47.org/MVC-013F.JPG
http://dt.c47.org/MVC-014F.JPG
http://dt.c47.org/MVC-016F.JPG
http://dt.c47.org/MVC-020F.JPG

--
..dt

Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:
> M Santos wrote:
> > Hello all
> >
> > New to this group, I could use help identifying my Cinelli I bought from a
> > neighbor a few years ago. There is nothing on the bike to identify a model
> > designation. I understand it may be considered "vintage", my neighbor
> > purchased it new in the early to mid 80s. The serial number is 84820 (1984
> > model??). It looks similar to the supercorsa at cinelli's website with the
> > lugged Columbus frame, it has the full Dura Ace package. I emailed the folks
> > at the website but they were completely unhelpful. Any information would be
> > greatly appreciated
> >
> > Thanks!

> Picture?
>
> But Cinelli lugged steel bicycles are a real find in spite of having DA
> on it.

Too bad this bike is not a high quality lugged steel Japanese made
frame that would better complement the quality Shimano Dura-Ace
components.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Brian Phillips wrote:
> Were they even making Dura Ace in '84?...

The use of the Dura-Ace name for Shimano's top component line was over
a decade old in 1984.

See
<http://dura-ace.shimano.com/publish/content/duraace/en/home/history.html>.

--

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 03:41:45 +0000, dtmeister wrote:

> Here are links to some pictures of this bike that were emailed to me.
>
> http://dt.c47.org/MVC-013F.JPG
> http://dt.c47.org/MVC-014F.JPG
> http://dt.c47.org/MVC-016F.JPG
> http://dt.c47.org/MVC-020F.JPG

Very nice bike. Classic Cinelli. I wonder about the components, though.
Could they possibly be original? Hard to imagine a Cinelli coming with
Shimano components.

Oh, and I hope you don't need to keep the stem and seatpost that far
exposed. The bike looks like it is too small for the rider, especially
with the stem being that far up.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front
_`\(,_ | of enough typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of
(_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the collected works of Shakespeare. The
internet has proven this not to be the case.

M Santos wrote:

> Does SLX mean anything to you?

If I remember right, SLX was SL that had spiral
ribbing on the inside to make it stiffer.

Larry Coon
University of California

It may not have the original components. The crankset looks like a
shimano 105 or rx 100. The brake levers look like modolo kronos. I am
guessing that someone got the frame and then put an assortment of
components on it. However, it looks like a nice enough frame and bike.
If it is columbus slx it is from the mid 80's or newer.

Andres

Hello,

I've always been a Campy guy, but I remember participating in one of my
first races, it would have been in early '85. A guy showed up with a
bike that had this newfangled Dura-Ace stuff on it and everybody was
crowding around to look at it. It had this fancy new indexed shifting
that nobody had ever seen before. A lot of the guys checking out the
Dura-Ace stuff had Super Record on their bikes, I had lowly Nuevo Gran
Sport on mine.

Dura-Ace had been around quite a while, but when they came out with that
generation of Dura-Ace that introduced indexed shifting, or at least
indexed shifting that worked, it was a really big deal.

-Eric

Brian Phillips wrote:
> You don't want to post images in a non-binary newsgroup, so best thing is to
> upload them to one of your web sites (you DO have one, don't you?) and
> provide the link. The Columbus sticker on the seat tube (if it's still
> there) will also tell you something about the frame material (SL perhaps?).
>
> Were they even making Dura Ace in '84?

Sure-

I remember meeting a guy on a ride
> around '86 or '87 who had a Dura Ace equipped bike with that new-fangled
> "index shifting". He let me ride it and I was amazed... I went back to the
> local bike shop and told my buddies about these amazing components and how
> much better it was than the Campy Super Record stuff we were riding...
> everybody just shrugged and said their Super Record stuff worked just fine
> and there was no reason to switch....
>
> "M Santos" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Not familiar with newsgroup etiquette...do I post pictures here, or email
> > them directly to you?

> Very nice bike. Classic Cinelli. I wonder about the components, though.
> Could they possibly be original? Hard to imagine a Cinelli coming with
> Shimano components.
>
> Oh, and I hope you don't need to keep the stem and seatpost that far
> exposed. The bike looks like it is too small for the rider, especially
> with the stem being that far up.
>
> --
>
> David L. Johnson

Well, here's the story of how I came to own this bike:

A few years ago, a friend and neighbor down the street from me was paralyzed
in an ice climbing accident. At some point there after I purchased the bike
to help him out in a cash flow sort of way. I paid plenty for it, but I
didn't have the heart to dicker with him. I intended to use the bike, but as
David noted, the bike is too small for the rider (me). I tried to make
adjustments, I had the local bike shop get a wider set of handle bars to
accommodate my wider shoulders, I got a different saddle, I changed the
pedals from the original clip ins because these baskets gave me just a
little bit more room to extend my knees, I also had the chain ring set
changed to give me taller ratios. Unfortunately, these changes did not
accomplish my goal, and I can't use the bike comfortably.

I did keep all of the components I took off of it.

My friend bought the bike new at a shop in western Canada. The sticker on
the seat post tube indicates Dura Ace parts, I'm guessing it was built that
way rather than converted from something else after he bought it.

Any opinions as to the bike's worth?

Thanks again

David L. Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 03:41:45 +0000, dtmeister wrote:
>
> > Here are links to some pictures of this bike that were emailed to me.
> >
> > http://dt.c47.org/MVC-013F.JPG
> > http://dt.c47.org/MVC-014F.JPG
> > http://dt.c47.org/MVC-016F.JPG
> > http://dt.c47.org/MVC-020F.JPG

> Very nice bike. Classic Cinelli. I wonder about the components, though.
> Could they possibly be original? Hard to imagine a Cinelli coming with
> Shimano components.
>
> Oh, and I hope you don't need to keep the stem and seatpost that far
> exposed. The bike looks like it is too small for the rider, especially
> with the stem being that far up.
>
> --
>
> David L. Johnson
>
> __o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front
> _`\(,_ | of enough typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of
> (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the collected works of Shakespeare. The
> internet has proven this not to be the case.

RE post and stem height: I think you're right about the frame being
small, especially with the OPs choice in upgrades based on leg
extension. Just wanted to mention that there's nothing "wrong" with
saddle height equalling the bar height. He sounds like a casual rider,
not an uber-flexible pro sprinter. Besides, I know a few fast guys on
Rivendells.
The Shimano parts I can make out look like RSX, which are functional
but low end. If you're not captivated by the idea of riding a classic
steel Cinelli, I'd craigslist it (including the original parts) and see
what you can get. The value is a little hard to estimate as it can be
based largely on your locale. The paint and chrome look good. If I saw
this in a NYC second hand shop I'd guess the price tag on it would be
somewhere between $800-1200, though I personally wouldn't spend that
kind of money on it. Craigslist or ebay can be strange in that I can
see a bike like this going for anywhere between $400-800.
If you make $600 (which seems reasonable), you can turn around and pick
up a low end new bike by any of the major manufacturers. It won't get
the approving nods of fetishists (who'll poopoo the Italian frame with
Shimano parts anyway), but you'll get brifters, proper fit, some modern
gewgaws and probably some free servicing.
/s

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:19:55 -0500, M Santos wrote:

> At some point there after I purchased the bike
> to help him out in a cash flow sort of way. I paid plenty for it, but I
> didn't have the heart to dicker with him.

Don't worry about that -- it probably did help him and you got some use
out of the bike, and now can recoup some of what you spent.

> changed to give me taller ratios. Unfortunately, these changes did not
> accomplish my goal, and I can't use the bike comfortably.

Yeah, I suspected something like that. You can get enough off this to at
least partially offset the price of a bike that will serve you better.

> I did keep all of the components I took off of it.

Good. Were they Dura-Ace? Indexed?

> My friend bought the bike new at a shop in western Canada. The sticker
> on the seat post tube indicates Dura Ace parts, I'm guessing it was
> built that way rather than converted from something else after he bought
> it.
>
> Any opinions as to the bike's worth?

Someone else has indicated a price range, which seems reasonable to me.
With the original Dura-Ace parts, especially with the replacement parts
thrown in as well, you should get something between 500-1000 for it, but
the high end there would have to be a collector who really wanted this
brand and vintage, so would be hard to find. The low end would be spent
by someone looking for a nice bike to ride, who is something of a
retro-grouch. Such people probably prefer Campy, but you could convince
him that the Dura Ace fits in since it was original.

Some guy just looking for a bike will probably not want to pay enough to
be worth it to you.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but
_`\(,_ | what canst thou say? -- George Fox.
(_)/ (_) |

dtmeister wrote:
>>>New to this group, I could use help identifying my Cinelli I bought from a
>>>neighbor a few years ago. There is nothing on the bike to identify a model
>>>designation. I understand it may be considered "vintage", my neighbor
>>>purchased it new in the early to mid 80s. The serial number is 84820 (1984
>>>model??). It looks similar to the supercorsa at cinelli's website with the
>>>lugged Columbus frame, it has the full Dura Ace package. I emailed the folks
>>>at the website but they were completely unhelpful. Any information would be
>>>greatly appreciated

> Here are links to some pictures of this bike that were

emailed to me.

> http://dt.c47.org/MVC-013F.JPG
> http://dt.c47.org/MVC-014F.JPG
> http://dt.c47.org/MVC-016F.JPG
> http://dt.c47.org/MVC-020F.JPG

Decal set changed in 1980. Dura Ace became New Dura Ace in
1983 so probably a 1980 -83 bike.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On 2006-01-18, Brian Phillips <[email protected]> wrote:

> Were they even making Dura Ace in '84?

The Dura-Ace name as the high end products in Shimano's line up has been
around at least since the mid 1970s, although it has gone through many
changes over the years. Shimano's SIS indexed shifting first appeared
around 1985 in the Dura-Ace group, and later propogated into lower price
groups..

--

John ([email protected])