can someone ID what muscle or tendon this is in the pic?

SinnerDC2

Apr 20, 2010
I just switched bikes and the last two rides have caused me tremendous pain on the outside of my right knee. I've been googleing the problem, but i dont know which tendon or muscle is the pain point. The little circles are the severe pain points, but i tried to outline the entire area in a circle.

Picasa Web Albums - Nick

Thanks
Nick

Believe that would be your IT band. Take a look here
Iliotibial band syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In my case, the pain you describe was caused by having my saddle too low and too far back. Leg extension was OK, but I was positioned too far rearward to get proper knee placement over the pedal axle. Remedied by raising saddle & moving forward. However, it's taken many months for the pain to more-or-less disappear. Pain was, and still is at times, accentuated when climbing steeply or (less frequently) when pushing big gears at speed.

Some more links for you:
http://alexreisner.com/itband
http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm
http://www.roadcycling.com/training/kneepain.shtml

thanks so much! so its not my crank length, I figured less than .25 in shouldnt cause all that pain. I think my seat is much further back than my previous setup and maybe too short also.

I have the same exact pain. I recently changed my pedals, crank, and cleats and now my right knee only is suffering. It doesn't hurt while I am riding, but the next day when I get out of bed or whenever I get up out of a chair, it really hurts.

I was actually thinking about dropping $250 on getting a bike fitment. They take all types of measurements and they also use video cameras to play back how your legs and knees are positioned during your pedal strokes and make adjustments on the fly. Has anyone done this before and do you think it was worth the money?

Thanks.

I had pain similar but a little more posterior when I was rowing. The pain would erupt when I flexed my knees in essence pulling my butt to my heels for the next stroke. This may be similar to when you lift up on the pedals or when sliding from the anterior to posterior in your pedal rotation.
Treatment, the physical trainers placed electrodes that caused the muscle to fire while covered with ice. I found it bizarre at the time. Not any more. The pain started on a Friday. Three days of treatment over the weekend and I was back in the boat full throttle and pain free.

Just a different perspective.

This is definitely helpful for me. I have developed the same exact pain in my right leg after going as hard as I could on my TT bike for over an hour. The pain persists but only pesent while riding. I can run, walk, and do anything pain-free except ride hard. It is very frustrating. :mad:

I read that adjusting your cleats to a position that is more consistent with your natural foot position can help alleviate stress on the IT band by minimizing lateral movement. My attemps to fit myself accordingly have helped but at about 35 miles into a long ride the old pain starts to return and by 50 it becomes a sharp shooting pain that accompanies any modest effort and thus ends my outing.

All the research I have done has led me to believe that a professional fitting is necessary.

I checked with my Dr. and what he suggested made everything better - maybe it can help you too.

My ailment was IT Band Syndrome (as OldGoat surmised). The point of pain you have identified in your picture is the exact area mine was in; consistent with pain caused by the IT Band tendon undergoing too much friction at the joint.

I have lowered my seat a tad and moved it forward (turns out it was not adjusted properly). I also wear a small brace around the area above my knee per his suggestion and the pain is virtually gone. I proceeded to have the ride of my life today and crushed my previous best time without the pain!

i think the pain will increase in winter and it will go down in summer. but ou have to take some little exercise for it and also have to visit a consultant. and take some pain killers for it, and Knee brace is also a better thing in this matter