Can someone please explain "USENET" to me?

531Aussie

Well-Known Member
Apr 11, 2004
12,678
what is it?

How is it different to the rest of Cycling Forums?

Are the Usenet people seeing something different to what I'm seeing?

Why doesn't everyone just register like so me they don't see those crappy-looking >>>> >>> .>>> quotations? :)

531Aussie wrote:
> what is it?
>
> How is it different to the rest of Cycling Forums?
>
> Are the Usenet people seeing something different to what I'm seeing?
>
> Why doesn't everyone just register like so me they don't see those
> crappy-looking >>>> >>> .>>> quotations? :)

I'll leave this one to you Tim.

DaveB

531Aussie trolled:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

> How is it different to the rest of Cycling Forums?
>
> Are the Usenet people seeing something different to what I'm seeing?

Probably, no crappy web interface for a start.

> Why doesn't everyone just register like so me they don't see those
> crappy-looking >>>> >>> .>>> quotations? :)

In some cases cause we don't have web access, others cause we're grumpy
old school geeks. Can also read off-line

Parbs

oh, I see

thanks for the link
thumb.gif

On 2006-03-04, DaveB (aka Bruce)
> 531Aussie wrote:
>> what is it?

$20, same as in town. No wait, wrong question.

>> How is it different to the rest of Cycling Forums?
>>
>> Are the Usenet people seeing something different to what I'm seeing?
>>
>> Why doesn't everyone just register like so me they don't see those
>> crappy-looking >>>> >>> .>>> quotations? :)

> I'll leave this one to you Tim.

What? Me?

People use USENET so that they can draw colourful ascii art, because
slrn can colorise things based on how many levels of ">>>" you have.

--
TimC
-o)

On 2006-03-04, TimC (aka Bruce)
> On 2006-03-04, DaveB (aka Bruce)
>> 531Aussie wrote:
>>> How is it different to the rest of Cycling Forums?
>>>
>>> Are the Usenet people seeing something different to what I'm seeing?
>>>
>>> Why doesn't everyone just register like so me they don't see those
>>> crappy-looking >>>> >>> .>>> quotations? :)

>> I'll leave this one to you Tim.

> People use USENET so that they can draw colourful ascii art, because
> slrn can colorise things based on how many levels of ">>>" you have.

Oh, and the interface to a.b is exactly the same as the interface to
my other 8 subscribed groups, and I don't have to go remembering 8
different passwords and login procedures to all these forums, and
USENET was actually explicitly designed by talented people who thought
and discussed the problem at hand -- that of mass non-realtime
discussion groups. There were standards designed, and generally,
people try to stick to them. You aren't at the whim of some random
guy who designed some website forum software thingy, and what changes
he wants to make.

It has a proper discussion tree, and you can go straight to your
unread messages. You can score (I score positively, replies direct to
myself, up to replies to replies to replies to replies to myself, so
that I can take part in discussions I have taken part in recently,
before reading the rest of the groups; also, certain people get read
before other people) or killfile with complete automated ease.

When it isn't working, it typically isn't working for only a single
person at a time, and even then, sometimes you get messages trickling
in. You don't have a website or database going down being much of an
issue.

And finally. Retro is good. Seriously, I am on a bunch of mailing
lists as well, full of techy linuxy types, and I don't understand why
we use mailing lists instead of newsgroups. Newsgroups were designed
for mass discussions of geographically separated people, email was
designed for small discussions.

--
TimC
A Chemist who falls in acid is absorbed in work.

On 2006-03-04, TimC <[email protected]> wrote:

<snip>

> And finally. Retro is good. Seriously, I am on a bunch of mailing
> lists as well, full of techy linuxy types, and I don't understand why
> we use mailing lists instead of newsgroups. Newsgroups were designed

Come on Tim, mailing lists are good. There's no french miners, no american
box vendors, no members of obscure perpetual orders, etc. to worry
about...:)

--
Humbug who HATES vi...:-( Where's my TECO ??!!!!

On 2006-03-04, Humbug (aka Bruce)
> On 2006-03-04, TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> And finally. Retro is good. Seriously, I am on a bunch of mailing
>> lists as well, full of techy linuxy types, and I don't understand why
>> we use mailing lists instead of newsgroups. Newsgroups were designed

> Come on Tim, mailing lists are good. There's no french miners, no american
> box vendors, no members of obscure perpetual orders, etc. to worry
> about...:)

There's no members of obscure perpetual orders in my newsclient. <wink>

> Humbug who HATES vi...:-( Where's my TECO ??!!!!

TECO!? Back in my day...

--
TimC
"Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad hoc

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 10:01:26 +0000, TimC wrote:

> And finally. Retro is good. Seriously, I am on a bunch of mailing lists
> as well, full of techy linuxy types, and I don't understand why we use
> mailing lists instead of newsgroups.

Most people who have a computer at work have email, very few have NNTP
access. Stupid port 119 blocks, preventing us using elegant solutions to
waste work time and money.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"Verbogeny is one of the pleasurettes of a creatific thinkerizer."

Random Data said:
Stupid port 119 blocks, preventing us using elegant solutions to waste work time and money.

Luckily some of us don't have that problem.

cfsmtb said -

> Random Data Wrote:
>> Stupid port 119 blocks, preventing us using elegant solutions to waste
>> work time and money.

Luckily some of us don't have that problem.

Is a simple unblocking available to mere workers? - would love newgroup
access at work!

Purely to keep up to date with <capitalism.rapacious.misc> you
understand!

best, Andrew

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 04 Mar 2006 21:21:57 GMT
Andrew Price <[email protected]> wrote:
> cfsmtb said -
>
>> Random Data Wrote:
>>> Stupid port 119 blocks, preventing us using elegant solutions to waste
>>> work time and money.

> Luckily some of us don't have that problem.
>
> Is a simple unblocking available to mere workers? - would love newgroup
> access at work!

sure. proxytunnel.sourceforge.net

Of course if you are using a windows computer you'll have to find
windows software to do it. Google is your friend, try googling for
tunneling proxy windows.

Zebee

Zebee:
>try googling for tunneling proxy windows.

Would that get me fired?

>>Stupid port 119 blocks, preventing us using elegant solutions to waste
>>work time and money.
>>

> Luckily some of us don't have that problem.

In fact I'd wager very few people in here have that problem!

Donga said:
Zebee:
>try googling for tunneling proxy windows.

Would that get me fired?

If it's anything like my employer, it would probably breach your firm's IT policy. It could place you at risk, especially if it causes an unintended security risk. I don't know if that is even possible, but if you don't know either, it's probably best to make do with cyclingforums.

Ritch

In aus.bicycle on 4 Mar 2006 14:15:14 -0800
Donga <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zebee:
>>try googling for tunneling proxy windows.

> Would that get me fired?

What does the IT policy you signed say?

Zebee

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Random Data Wrote:
>> Stupid port 119 blocks, preventing us using elegant solutions to waste
>> work time and money.
>>

> Luckily some of us don't have that problem.

Funny this subject came up - my work cut off news access last week - no port
119. (after 12 years of me using news there ;-). IT weren't very helpful
about it either!
Another way around it is to use Google Groups as a newsreader...

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 5 Mar 2006 10:44:37 +1030
Gemma_k <[email protected]> wrote:

> Funny this subject came up - my work cut off news access last week - no port
> 119. (after 12 years of me using news there ;-). IT weren't very helpful
> about it either!
> Another way around it is to use Google Groups as a newsreader...

Or use your home internet account at home of course...

Zebee

On 2006-03-05, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
> In aus.bicycle on Sun, 5 Mar 2006 10:44:37 +1030
> Gemma_k <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>

>> Funny this subject came up - my work cut off news access last week - no port
>> 119. (after 12 years of me using news there ;-). IT weren't very helpful
>> about it either!
>> Another way around it is to use Google Groups as a newsreader...

> Or use your home internet account at home of course...

And just ssh into home from work when you should be working :)

--
TimC
#define FUZZ 0.0001 /*author: Marc Goodman in ARK*/