Can someone recommend me a decent mountain bike?

Gecko Superstar

Dec 5, 2004
I'm after something affordable, comfortable, light weight and fully upgradable. Off road or on road it doesn't matter.

I'd refer to cycling magazines but they're often swayed in their opinion by lucrative advertsing contracts.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh and I live in Britian, and so I don't want to import one

Gecko Superstar said:
I'm after something affordable, comfortable, light weight and fully upgradable. Off road or on road it doesn't matter.

I'd refer to cycling magazines but they're often swayed in their opinion by lucrative advertsing contracts.

It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing how you plan to use the bike or how much you are looking to spend, but a good starting point would be the entry level hybrids from the name brand manufacturers such as Trek, Specialized, etc. For around $300.00 US you can get a decent all around performer. Good luck!

I have a mongoose rockadile ald it cost £300 has a 6061 aluminium frame mechanical disk brakes 24 gears hardtail. For the price it is a good alround on and off road mountain bike. if you want to spend £100 more try the trek 4300 disk.

I bought an orange "gringo" about 12 months ago, upgraded the mechanical discs to hope mini mono's (bloody brilliant) and i cant reccomend the thing enough. Loads of mud clearance so its ideal for the UK , good reliable deore groupset and a really comfortable riding position.
I use mine every day of the week on a 7 mile each way commute, have fallen off it a few times and it's still fine. Was toying with the idea of a cheap thrashable commuter thing but this is good for that and is really lively offroad with handling to match a bike twice its price. I researched for about 2 months before i parted with my cash and i would say this is the best bike for the money.
However the forks on the base model are **** but are an obvious easy upgrade, if you buy this you wont be dissapointed.
Have a look in the sales for last years models you may get a bargain, howver its a popular model so im not sure how much they will have come down in price.
Anyway happy hunting

Gecko Superstar said: