Can someone recommend me some new road wheels?

Zardoz

Guest
I'm building a new bike and was hoping to use my old road wheels but
I've realised I can't put my 9 speed cassette on the 7 speed hub.

So I had ordered a new set of pro build Shimano wheels with Tiagra
hubs - just to match my groupset really - without really knowing what
I was getting for my money. (shop can't get them in and are
refunding).

I think I want something reasonably robust to suit tyres that aren't
really really hard to get off. I don't mind paying a hundred quid or
so for a decent set. Tthey do want to be reasonably fast - it is for
road use but I don't (or havn't) done any racing.

Thanks!!

Zardoz wrote:
> I'm building a new bike and was hoping to use my old road wheels but
> I've realised I can't put my 9 speed cassette on the 7 speed hub.

You can put 8 of those 9 sprockets and 7 of the spacers on a 7 speed
hub. You still need 9 speed changers and chain. OK you get 8 speed and
not 9 but it is a pretty cheap deal if you already have the parts. You
need to worry about the OLN (Over Lock Nut) dimension. New frames will
probably be 130mm and the 7 speed hub 126mm so you either need to
narrow the frame carefully by 2mm each side or use some washers for
spacers.
When/if you want to, the change to 9 speed is easy.

Zardoz wrote:

> I think I want something reasonably robust to suit tyres that

aren't
> really really hard to get off. I don't mind paying a hundred quid or
> so for a decent set. Tthey do want to be reasonably fast - it is for
> road use but I don't (or havn't) done any racing.

£100 will get you some 105 hubs with OpenPro rims from Ribble Cycles.
[I just happened to price them up last week] 105 is considered (by me)
to be entry level racing kit. As for speed they'll go as fast or as
slow as you make them go, that bit really is up to you !!!

Zardoz wrote:
> I'm building a new bike and was hoping to use my old road wheels but
> I've realised I can't put my 9 speed cassette on the 7 speed hub.

No but you could use the hub with eight 9-speed sprockets with 9sp
spacers, with 9sp shifters, as long as the OLN is correct (new bike will
most likely require 130mm hub).

Alternatively, the freehub could be replaced. See
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#up7

> I think I want something reasonably robust to suit tyres that aren't
> really really hard to get off. I don't mind paying a hundred quid or
> so for a decent set. Tthey do want to be reasonably fast - it is for
> road use but I don't (or havn't) done any racing.

Mavic Open Pro rims (standard version) + ACI/DT/Sapim double butted spokes
+ the best Shimano hubs you can afford.

32 spokes front & rear will probably do. Personally, I like 36 rear for
extra reliability even though I'm not particularly heavy.

~PB