Can speedometer be installed on the back wheel?

turtletocheetah

May 31, 2014
Hey ladies and gents, Got another question for ya :) My indoor trainer will be arriving soon. But I have no $$$ to get a Power Meter at the moment. I figured it might be a good idea to put my speedometer on the back wheel instead of the front to at least have some measurement of how hard and or fast I'm pedaling. I know it's not the same as a power meter, but it should be better than just pedaling and hoping you are actually pedaling as fast as you "think" you are? Any particular reason a speedometer is always installed on the front wheel ? Thanks again, Mike

It should work fine, but finding a way to mount the sensor close enough to the spokes can be tricky on the chain stays or seat stays

Get one that has a cadence set up since those are designed for the back wheels

You can install most wireless speedo's on the rear wheel. The cable length on wired units may not be long enough. I recommend a unit with both speed and cadence.

Don't expect to your speeds on the trainer to be equivalent to speed over the road. A X mph effort will not translate to a X mph effort over the road. On a trainer, a speedo is only good for judging a relative effort meaning a higher speed is a higher workload.

Some nicer trainers, kurt comes to mind, do have speed calibrations that you can use to derive power - which is a very useful training tool.

Thanks for the info MR645 and Maydog Yes Maydog, I understand it will not be the same effort on a trainer vs actual road riding giving the same speed. I am using the speedometer as a simple measurement to base my efforts by. As I will want to increase the amount of lactic build up I can withstand for the longest most sustainable time. I will be shooting to increase my efforts any way I can, and speed will be my only available measurement at hand at the moment. It will be a good amount of guess work, but combined with actual road rides to check my progress I see potential in it working out for me. At least until I can afford a power meter:) Thanks a bunch guys Mike

Originally Posted by Mr645
Get one that has a cadence set up since those are designed for the back wheels
Right. Most wireless sensors designed for front mounting have a transmission limit of 70 cm, and the top of the sensor and bottom of the computer must be generally oriented toward each other. A computer that has cadence is designed to work on the rear wheel, whether wired or wireless. Using wireless indoors, though you may have interference from florescent lighting and color television sets.

Thanks for the info Oldbobcat, Don't have any fluorescent lighting in the house...(at least I don't think so). I will check to see how it works with the tv on, if not I can just listen to my IPod :) Thank you Mike