Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Can't shift onto small chainring

Started by Jake15 · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,064 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
7 October 2006
Last activity
7 October 2006
Original author
Jake15
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,064
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've been unable to shift onto the small chainring after making an adjustment to the front derailleur to stop the chain rubbing against the derailleur. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be and how I could fix it?

  2. Jake15 said:

    I've been unable to shift onto the small chainring after making an adjustment to the front derailleur to stop the chain rubbing against the derailleur. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be and how I could fix it?


    I had the same problem...tried tweaking my FD and really ended up making it worse....took it to the LBS and $15 later everything is perfect...well worth it in my opinion....but if you want to do it yourself you can always try the park tools website for repair instructions parktool.comreadhowto.asp FD's can be very touchy.

  3. Jake15 said:

    I've been unable to shift onto the small chainring after making an adjustment to the front derailleur to stop the chain rubbing against the derailleur. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be and how I could fix it?


    I'll second the Park Tool website. Try this:

    Completely disconnect the shift cable from your derailleur. Now go through the steps for installing a front derailleur STARTING AT THE VERY BEGINNING with the position of the derailleur on the seat tube. My bet, without having seen your bike, is that's the problem.

  4. Jake15 said:

    I've been unable to shift onto the small chainring after making an adjustment to the front derailleur to stop the chain rubbing against the derailleur. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be and how I could fix it?

    Hate to be a pain, but if you felt confident enough to mess with your FD to eliminate chain rub, then you ought to take out your tool kit again and get back to work. Park Tool site is excellent. Not sure what you did in phase one (probably adjusted the tension too much). If you messed with the limit screw you need to back it off slightly.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.