Can Teflon make you sick?

see below

Rick wrote:

> "Bill Vajk" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > > "Supposed"?? I've been a participant in rec.pets.birds for over five years and have read
> > > first-hand accounts from at least a dozen pet owners who wound up with a houseful of dead
> > > birds after cooking with Teflon. And in most cases the pans were not overheated.
> >
> > Because some claim it doesn't make it any less ********.
>
> And because some claim medical science is ******** doesn't make it any more ********.
>

> > Repeat after me: "This is usenet. Most of the stuff I read here is unsubstatntiated opinion and
> > is usually wrong."
>
> There are formal studies on this issue, e.g.
> http://www.uoguelph.ca/ahl/News5-3/Companion%20Animals.htm
>
> The site lists five clinical studies as references.
>
> Rick...if our above staement is indeed true why are you wasting YOUR

and OUR time with your very presence?? B-0b1

> Rick wrote:
>

> >>Rick wrote:
>
> OK, here is your claim:

> You draw a correlation between the deaths of muultiple birds in the care of rec.pets.birds and
> "after cooking with teflon."
>
> Any normal person would undrstand from the wording of the statement that it has to do with
> ordinary cooking practices.
>
> > There are formal studies on this issue, e.g.
> > http://www.uoguelph.ca/ahl/News5-3/Companion%20Animals.htm
>
> > The site lists five clinical studies as references.
>
> Did you actually read any of the information presented in the documents at the URL you've cited?
>
> Try this which I have copied right out of your resource:
>
> "Household cookware is the most common PTFE exposure for pet birds; problems arise when pans
> boil dry or unfilled saucepans are heated."
>
> Well that's an extraordinary incident, not normal cooking practice, right? But let's continue:

Stop right there. You've conveniently skipped over this:

"Extreme levels can cause acute death of all birds exposed, while low levels can cause intermittent
deaths over a period of time (weeks to months)"..

This was my claim, and this is what the research shows. The fact is, when one cooks with Teflon pans
they are almost never completely filled; the edges of the pans can and do reach temperatures high
enough to release polymer fumes.

> "When PTFE undergoes pyrolysis, both gaseous and particulate materials are given off,
> including fluorinated compounds, that are toxic to animals and humans with birds being most
> susceptible (1, 3, 4). In humans, exposure to fumes can lead to a transient, febrile,
> flu-like syndrome called polymer-fume fever (1)."
>
> But once again, these are not the consequence of normal cooking practices as your original
> statement suggests happens whenever teflon is used in cooking.
>
> You're crossposting to three sci.* newsgroups. If you want to have sloppy statements accepted you
> would do well to stick to talk and misc heirarchies. Even if they're accepted doesn't make them
> correct.
>
> And of course all the above is on the basis that the URL you cited gives correct information.
> That, as it turns out, is more likely than not.

Listen you pompous ass, the answer to the subject of this thread is yes, not no. And it can kill
birds, and it has killed birds. These are the facts, despite your pedantic qualifications (which btw
accomplish nothing but to make you look like an idiot).

Rick

Bill Vajk <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Rick wrote:
>

> >>Rick wrote:
>
> OK, here is your claim:

> You draw a correlation between the deaths of muultiple birds in the care of rec.pets.birds and
> "after cooking with teflon."
>
> Any normal person would undrstand from the wording of the statement that it has to do with
> ordinary cooking practices.
>
> > There are formal studies on this issue, e.g.
> > http://www.uoguelph.ca/ahl/News5-3/Companion%20Animals.htm
>
> > The site lists five clinical studies as references.
>
> Did you actually read any of the information presented in the documents at the URL you've cited?
>
> Try this which I have copied right out of your resource:
>
> "Household cookware is the most common PTFE exposure for pet birds; problems arise when pans
> boil dry or unfilled saucepans are heated."
>
> Well that's an extraordinary incident, not normal cooking practice, right? But let's continue:
>
> "Frying temperatures normally range between 100-200°C
> (3). At 280°C, cooking oils and butter will flame and foods will smoke and burn (1)."
>
> OK, that's extraordinary, not normal cooking practice, right?
>
> "Above 280°C, a polymer undergoes chemical decomposition (pyrolysis) (2)."
>
> Again, extraordinary, and bears no relation to the sort of scenario you were promoting.
>
> "PTFE, as well as butter or corn oil, can produce pyrolysis products that can cause death in
> birds (3)."
>

> Well gee whiz, it seems like other things ordinarily used in cooking can also kill birds, right?
>
> "When PTFE undergoes pyrolysis, both gaseous and particulate materials are given off,
> including fluorinated compounds, that are toxic to animals and humans with birds being most
> susceptible (1, 3, 4). In humans, exposure to fumes can lead to a transient, febrile,
> flu-like syndrome called polymer-fume fever (1)."
>
> But once again, these are not the consequence of normal cooking practices as your original
> statement suggests happens whenever teflon is used in cooking.
>
> You're crossposting to three sci.* newsgroups. If you want to have sloppy statements accepted you
> would do well to stick to talk and misc heirarchies. Even if they're accepted doesn't make them
> correct.
>
> And of course all the above is on the basis that the URL you cited gives correct information.
> That, as it turns out, is more likely than not.

Perhaps normal cooking with Teflon poses no hazard, but this does reveal a potential hazard that
might occur. Perhaps I am inexcusably absent minded, but I have been known wander off forgetting
that I was boiling water in a teakettle or a pan. When I came back a long while later, the kettle or
pan would be glowing read hot on the bottom! Now this has never happened to me with a Teflon pan,
but if it did, what should a person do? Put on a surgical mask? Open all the windows? Dispose the
pan (after it cools) as a hazardous material?

Double-A

Rick wrote:

> Listen you pompous ass, the answer to the subject of this thread is yes, not no. And it can kill
> birds, and it has killed birds. These are the facts, despite your pedantic qualifications (which
> btw accomplish nothing but to make you look like an idiot).

Your religious fervor and complete abandonment of reality is noted, folded, spindled, and mutulated.
Your opinions are worthless and ignored.

"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Bill Vajk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > And of course all the above is on the basis that the URL you cited gives correct information.
> > That, as it turns out, is more likely than not.
>
> Listen you pompous ass, the answer to the subject of this thread is yes, not no. And it can kill
> birds, and it has killed birds. These are the facts, despite your pedantic qualifications (which
> btw accomplish nothing but to make you look like an idiot). Rick

.......and Ricky-pooh, the green turd tweets: "it's yes, yes, yes!!!!" What a lovely, well washed
bird brain and disciple of your role models and green masters your are.....ahahahahaha......ahahaha
Here they are again, for your benefit and enjoyment:

-----***** start: Quotes from environmental leaders *****-----

"I got the impression that instead of going out to shoot birds, I should go out and shoot the kids
who shoot birds." -- Paul Watson, founder of Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd

"If you don't know an answer, a fact, a statistic, then .... make it up on the spot ... for the
mass-media today ... the truth is irrelevant." -- Paul Watson in Earthforce: An Earth Warrior's
Guide to Strategy.

"A lot of environmental messages are simply not accurate. But that's the way we sell messages in
this society. We use hype." -- Dr. Jerry Franklin, Ecologist, Univ.of Washington

"We already have too much economic growth in the United States. Economic growth in rich countries
like ours is the disease, not the cure." -- Paul Elrich, Stanford U biologist and Advisor to Vice
President Gore

"A global climate treaty must be implemented even if there is no scientific evidence to back the
greenhouse effect." -- Richard Benedict, an employee for the State Department working on assignment
for the Conservation Foundation

"We in the Green movement, aspire to a cultural model in which the killing of a forest will be
considered more contemptible and more criminal than the sale of 6-year-old children to Asian
brothels." -- Carl Amery, Green Party of West Germany

-----***** end: Quotes from environmental leaders *****-----

=== Environmentalism is just a despicable, evil money (green) game, === without any redeeming value,
=== nor any intent to save anything. This ==- scam has come to an end. Now, all the green ***** are
=== whining... ===

Double-A wrote:

> Perhaps normal cooking with Teflon poses no hazard, but this does reveal a potential hazard that
> might occur. Perhaps I am inexcusably absent minded, but I have been known wander off forgetting
> that I was boiling water in a teakettle or a pan.

Having started a grease fire just once by wandering away I now shut off the burner if I decide to
leave the immediate area.

For boiling a small amount of water, the microwave is my friend.

On a sunny day (Sat, 15 Nov 2003 23:51:29 GMT) it happened Bill Vajk
<[email protected]> wrote in <5_ytb.206429$Tr4.608089@attbi_s03>:

>Double-A wrote:
>
>> Perhaps normal cooking with Teflon poses no hazard, but this does reveal a potential hazard that
>> might occur. Perhaps I am inexcusably absent minded, but I have been known wander off forgetting
>> that I was boiling water in a teakettle or a pan.
>
>Having started a grease fire just once by wandering away I now shut off the burner if I decide to
>leave the immediate area.
>
>For boiling a small amount of water, the microwave is my friend.

Yep microwave == bigets invention since the fire Especially if you have one with a grill build in.
Pepper steak, mmmmmmmm

[email protected] (Double-A) wrote:

>Perhaps normal cooking with Teflon poses no hazard, but this does reveal a potential hazard that
>might occur. Perhaps I am inexcusably absent minded, but I have been known wander off forgetting
>that I was boiling water in a teakettle or a pan. When I came back a long while later, the kettle
>or pan would be glowing read hot on the bottom! Now this has never happened to me with a Teflon
>pan, but if it did, what should a person do? Put on a surgical mask? Open all the windows? Dispose
>the pan (after it cools) as a hazardous material?

If you're properly lawyer-influenced, you sue the manufacturer of the pan for making you almost burn
your house down.

Steve Turner

Real address contains worldnet instead of spamnet

[email protected] (dalton) wrote:

>KATU 2 News - Portland, Oregon www.katu.com
>
>Can Teflon make you sick?
>
>November 14, 2003 - Teflon, one of the most popular non-stick pan products, can emit fumes that
>make you sick if it is allowed to get hot enough. According to ABCNews, the makers of Teflon have
>known about the problems for years.

Yeah, and so has just about everyone else except, apparently, for the dipshits at ABCNews.

Anything for a "story."

Steve Turner

Real address contains worldnet instead of spamnet

>On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 15:56:12 GMT, [email protected] (dalton) wrote:

>KATU 2 News - Portland, Oregon www.katu.com
>
>Can Teflon make you sick?

Probably when used in certain ways. I really don't think if used like most people it will do much
harm in the "short" run but as to long term effects that could be another story as I can't say.

It is my believe only (based on my knowledge of other things) that teflon will come off in some
chemical state if subjected to too much heat or if you recycle the hot/cold temperatures beyond a
certain number of times. I don't know how many times but I think that will depend on other things to
determine.

Now with all this debate I had to replace a teflon fry pan today and I debated whether to go with
teflon again. I decided to go with teflon again because I reasoned that based on the way we've used
it, it hasn't caused any short term effect. I can't say if the long term is a problem tho. But since
I've already used the stuff before I'm not sure stopping the use of a teflon pot for me now will
make a big difference in my longevity.

Again this is just my believe.... agree or disagree as you please.

In article <[email protected]>, dalton wrote:
>KATU 2 News - Portland, Oregon www.katu.com
>
>Can Teflon make you sick?
>
>November 14, 2003 - Teflon, one of the most popular non-stick pan products, can emit fumes that
>make you sick if it is allowed to get hot enough. According to ABCNews, the makers of Teflon have
>known about the problems for years.
>
>To learn about the health problem, ABCNews went to the kitchen with members of the Environmental
>Working Group.
>
>They say that when a Teflon coated pan reaches 554-degrees, ultra-fine particles start coming off
>the pan. The particles can imbed in the lungs and lead to "Teflon Flu."
>
>The illness causes flu-like symptoms, including headache, backache, and a temperature between 100
>and 104 degrees.
>
>The hotter a Teflon pan gets, the more chemicals are released and at 680 degrees, six toxic gases
>can begin to come off of heated Teflon.

So you need 680 degrees F to begin making anything bad happen? That's not any normal cooking
temperature!

- Don Klipstein ([email protected])

"Marke DB Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Really? you've never stuck a 'stove top' pan in the oven?
>
> I know I have- incl teflon ones.

I do it all the time. Usually the cast iron or SS pans. But the oven temperature is not 500 degrees.
I generally do that at 350, max 400. Well below the "danger point"

Even if the oven was 500, it would take some time for the surface of the pan to reach that
temperature. Ed [email protected] http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

"Bill Vajk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Rick wrote:
>

> >>Rick wrote:
>
> OK, here is your claim:

> You draw a correlation between the deaths of muultiple birds in the care of rec.pets.birds and
> "after cooking with teflon."
>
> Any normal person would undrstand from the wording of the statement that it has to do with
> ordinary cooking practices.
>
> > There are formal studies on this issue, e.g.
> > http://www.uoguelph.ca/ahl/News5-3/Companion%20Animals.htm
>
> > The site lists five clinical studies as references.
>
> Did you actually read any of the information presented in the documents at the URL you've cited?
>
> Try this which I have copied right out of your resource:
>
> "Household cookware is the most common PTFE exposure for pet birds; problems arise when pans
> boil dry or unfilled saucepans are heated."
>
> Well that's an extraordinary incident, not normal cooking practice, right? But let's continue:
>
> "Frying temperatures normally range between 100-200°C
> (3). At 280°C, cooking oils and butter will flame and foods will smoke and burn (1)."
>
> OK, that's extraordinary, not normal cooking practice, right?
>
> "Above 280°C, a polymer undergoes chemical decomposition (pyrolysis) (2)."
>
> Again, extraordinary, and bears no relation to the sort of scenario you were promoting.
>
> "PTFE, as well as butter or corn oil, can produce pyrolysis products that can cause death in
> birds (3)."
>

> Well gee whiz, it seems like other things ordinarily used in cooking can also kill birds, right?
>
> "When PTFE undergoes pyrolysis, both gaseous and particulate materials are given off,
> including fluorinated compounds, that are toxic to animals and humans with birds being most
> susceptible (1, 3, 4). In humans, exposure to fumes can lead to a transient, febrile,
> flu-like syndrome called polymer-fume fever (1)."
>
> But once again, these are not the consequence of normal cooking practices as your original
> statement suggests happens whenever teflon is used in cooking.
>
> You're crossposting to three sci.* newsgroups. If you want to have sloppy statements accepted you
> would do well to stick to talk and misc heirarchies. Even if they're accepted doesn't make them
> correct.
>
> And of course all the above is on the basis that the URL you cited gives correct information.
> That, as it turns out, is more likely than not.

Then it becomes obvious that we all should go buy birds and hang them in cages in the kitchen, barn,
garage etc. so we have advanced indicators for bad stuff floating about.. Walk out and see tweety
toes up with little x's on his eyes and its time to open a window... and have "Quail" for dinner....
gotta test the new Teflon pans....... Opps gotta run.. Pet store closes and gotta get another Bad
Air detector....

Of course it could also mean that you should put water in the cage every few weeks....

In article <J2vtb.7763$Dw6.54326@attbi_s02>, Bill Vajk wrote:
>Rick wrote:
>

>>>Rick wrote:
>
>OK, here is your claim:

>You draw a correlation between the deaths of muultiple birds in the care of rec.pets.birds and
>"after cooking with teflon."
>
>Any normal person would undrstand from the wording of the statement that it has to do with ordinary
>cooking practices.
>
>> There are formal studies on this issue, e.g.
>> http://www.uoguelph.ca/ahl/News5-3/Companion%20Animals.htm
>
>> The site lists five clinical studies as references.
>
>Did you actually read any of the information presented in the documents at the URL you've cited?
>
>Try this which I have copied right out of your resource:
>
> "Household cookware is the most common PTFE exposure for pet birds; problems arise when pans
> boil dry or unfilled saucepans are heated."
>
>Well that's an extraordinary incident, not normal cooking practice, right? But let's continue:
>
> "Frying temperatures normally range between 100-200°C
> (3). At 280°C, cooking oils and butter will flame and foods will smoke and burn (1)."
>
>OK, that's extraordinary, not normal cooking practice, right?
>
> "Above 280°C, a polymer undergoes chemical decomposition (pyrolysis) (2)."

And PTFE can go to higher temperatures than most other polymers before pyrolysis occurs! 280 or
300 degrees F and it will not kill birds!

In article <[email protected]>, Rick wrote:
>"Bill Vajk" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> OK, here is your claim:

>> You draw a correlation between the deaths of muultiple birds in the care of rec.pets.birds and
>> "after cooking with teflon."
>>
>> Any normal person would undrstand from the wording of the statement that it has to do with
>> ordinary cooking practices.
>>
>> > There are formal studies on this issue, e.g.
>> > http://www.uoguelph.ca/ahl/News5-3/Companion%20Animals.htm
>>
>> > The site lists five clinical studies as references.
>>
>> Did you actually read any of the information presented in the documents at the URL you've cited?
>>
>> Try this which I have copied right out of your resource:
>>
>> "Household cookware is the most common PTFE exposure for pet birds; problems arise when pans
>> boil dry or unfilled saucepans are heated."
>>
>> Well that's an extraordinary incident, not normal cooking practice, right? But let's continue:
>
>Stop right there. You've conveniently skipped over this:
>
>"Extreme levels can cause acute death of all birds exposed,

Like heating a PTFE-coated pan red-hot (1,000 F) by letting it sit empty on a burner on high?

>while low levels can cause intermittent deaths over a period of time (weeks to months)"..

Like from PTFE around 500 F?

Please tell what is extreme and what is low and sources you can come up with saying what
temperatures produce actual unhealthful chemical breakdown of PTFE!

>This was my claim, and this is what the research shows. The fact is, when one cooks with Teflon
>pans they are almost never completely filled; the edges of the pans can and do reach temperatures
>high enough to release polymer fumes.

The edges don't get 200-300 degrees hotter than where food is cooking unless you blowtorch the
edges of the pan!

- Don Klipstein ([email protected])

"hanson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "Bill Vajk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > And of course all the above is on the basis that the URL you cited gives correct information.
> > > That, as it turns out, is more likely than not.
> >
> > Listen you pompous ass, the answer to the subject of this thread is yes, not no. And it can kill
> > birds, and it has killed birds. These are the facts, despite your pedantic qualifications (which
> > btw accomplish nothing but to make you look like an idiot). Rick
> >
> .......and Ricky-pooh, the green turd tweets: "it's yes, yes, yes!!!!" What a lovely, well washed
> bird brain and disciple of your role models and green masters your
> are.....ahahahahaha......ahahaha Here they are again, for your benefit and enjoyment:
>
> -----***** start: Quotes from environmental leaders *****-----
>
> "I got the impression that instead of going out to shoot birds, I should go out and shoot the kids
> who shoot birds." -- Paul Watson, founder of Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd
>
> "If you don't know an answer, a fact, a statistic, then .... make it up on the spot ... for the
> mass-media today ... the truth is irrelevant." -- Paul Watson in Earthforce: An Earth Warrior's
> Guide to Strategy.
>
> "A lot of environmental messages are simply not accurate. But that's the way we sell messages in
> this society. We use hype." -- Dr. Jerry Franklin, Ecologist, Univ.of Washington
>
> "We already have too much economic growth in the United States. Economic growth in rich countries
> like ours is the disease, not the cure." -- Paul Elrich, Stanford U biologist and Advisor to Vice
> President Gore
>
> "A global climate treaty must be implemented even if there is no scientific evidence to back the
> greenhouse effect." -- Richard Benedict, an employee for the State Department working on
> assignment for the Conservation Foundation
>
> "We in the Green movement, aspire to a cultural model in which the killing of a forest will be
> considered more contemptible and more criminal than the sale of 6-year-old children to Asian
> brothels." -- Carl Amery, Green Party of West Germany
>
> -----***** end: Quotes from environmental leaders *****-----
>
> === Environmentalism is just a despicable, evil money (green) game, === without any redeeming
> === value, nor any intent to save anything. This ==- scam has come to an end. Now, all the green
> === ***** are whining... ===

Truer Words never spoke Hanson.......

In article <[email protected]>, Marke DB Johnston wrote:

>"Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "dalton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > In a test done by ABCNews, a piece of bacon was just beginning to get crisp when a Teflon pan
>> > went past the initial danger point of 500 degrees -- the temperature Dupont says is never
>> > exceeded under normal cooking conditions at home.
>>
>> My guess is the methodology is wrong. First off, how often do you fry
>only
>> one piece of bacon? The more coverage of the pan, the less likely it is
>> overheat. Bacon is best done in a cast iron pan anyway. Or baked in the oven. They should have
>> turned the heat down, but they just wanted to show
>> potential problem as this is ratings month.
>>
>> Teflon pans **properly used**, will not reach the 500 degree mark.
>>
>> Yes, I can make a pan reach danger levels, but in my ordinary cooking, it never happens. Ed
>
>Really? you've never stuck a 'stove top' pan in the oven?

Who sticks stove top pans into ovens set to 500 F and hotter, how often and why? How often does
anyone bake anything at 500F or more, let alone a stovetop pan?

- Don Klipstein ([email protected])

Teflon can make you terminally sick: the Teflon-sprayed bullets were used by hitmen to pierce the
Kevlar body armor more efficiently. I bet that the those fine Teflon particles imbedded together
with your bains all over the wall must be unhealthy.

Now, seriously - if you are a smoker, avoid getting a fluorinated lab grease Krytox on your fingers.
I heard that the teflon flu actualy works quite nicely if you happen to contaminate your cigarets
with the stuff and it gets pyrolysed as you smoke it. In case that your boss is a smoker, it was not
me who gave you the idea.

> > "dalton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > In a test done by ABCNews, [11-15-2003] a piece of bacon was [fried in] a Teflon pan went past
> > > the initial danger point of 500° the temperature Dupont says is never exceeded under normal
> > > cooking conditions at home.
>
> .... and "break down" fumes from Teflon were supposed to have killed birds ...

So let me get this straight. If I put a bird (lets say a chicken) in a Teflon coated frying pan and
turned on the heat to 500 Deg., the bird dies? Wouldn't it be more humane to kill the fryer first?
Or better yet, if vegetarians Teflon coat chickens first, then the birds would be too slippery to
catch and eat. Oh well, I'll think about all this on thanksgiving. Will E.

"dalton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> KATU 2 News - Portland, Oregon www.katu.com
>
> Can Teflon make you sick?

The answer is yes but the rest of the article is BS. Polymer fume fever is well documented.
Pyrolysis products hexafluoropropylene and perfluoroisobutylene are main cause and effect is
reversible. Birds are particularly susceptible because of their high respiration rate - note that
canaries were used to detect gas problems in mines. If you were to burn bacon in an iron pan in the
kitchen without exhaust, the fumes could kill your pet bird. One time, DuPont published warnings in
pet shops but main problem is to birds outside plants that make Teflon coated fry pans. Teflon is
the only houseware product I know of that has FDA food contact approval. DuPont is extremely
carefull in what it puts in their coating compositons. Frank