Can tire rub ruin a frame?

stanngg

Oct 14, 2007
I'm such a dumb azz. I did a 30 mile tempo ride with the back tire not properly seated. Put two nasty tire rubs clear through the paint to the carbon!! (on the bottom bracket area between the stays.) On my brand new frame! Is the frame ruined? Are there any issues with the intergity of the frame now?

stanngg said:
I'm such a dumb azz. I did a 30 mile tempo ride with the back tire not properly seated. Put two nasty tire rubs clear through the paint to the carbon!! (on the bottom bracket area between the stays.) On my brand new frame! Is the frame ruined? Are there any issues with the intergity of the frame now?

Damn, probably need to take it to the shop. Good luck, nail polish only can do so much. :)

I doubt if the frame is ruined as long as the tires did not do anything more than rub off the paint, but this is really the sort of thing that a good LBS should look at.

Its definately worth someone taking a look at, but from the sound of this, you got a get out of jail free card. It sucks to have to learn that way, but youre probably fine

I'd have it looked at by someone who knows what they're doing. Chances are that you rubbed off the clearcoat. Even if it is jacked you can either get it fixed via a warranty that you may have with the frame or give Calfee a call - they're wizards with carbon.
http://www.calfeedesign.com/howtosendrepair.htm

Calfee's the company that LeMond used to custom make his frames in the late 80's and early 90's - they have a few years of experience when it comes to carbon and bicycle frames. Most of their frames come with a 25 year warranty.

swampy1970 said:
I'd have it looked at by someone who knows what they're doing. Chances are that you rubbed off the clearcoat. Even if it is jacked you can either get it fixed via a warranty that you may have with the frame or give Calfee a call - they're wizards with carbon.
http://www.calfeedesign.com/howtosendrepair.htm

Calfee's the company that LeMond used to custom make his frames in the late 80's and early 90's - they have a few years of experience when it comes to carbon and bicycle frames. Most of their frames come with a 25 year warranty.

Calfee does do great repair but I wish they didn't spend so much time with circus bikes like bamboo recumbents and such.

BUT I doubt it would be any kind of warranty. It really isn't a defect in materials or manufacturing.

Take some good pix and send them to Calfee.

Surely you can feel a tyre rubbing on the frame? Similar to a brake pad rubbing on the rim. Neither are acceptable and should be noticed and fixed in the first 100 meters of riding.

Rubbing through a frame will build up your muscles and when fixed you will feel a new surge of speed and efficiency!