Can Ultegra 6500 front hub be radially laced ?

rs

Guest
I'm new to wheel building so the question may be silly but: Shimano says the
Ultegra 6600 front hub is radial lace compatible. Would the previous 6500
model front hub also be radial laced? Can any front hub, if its strong
enough, be radial laced? Thanks to all . .

rs wrote:

> I'm new to wheel building so the question may be silly but: Shimano says the
> Ultegra 6600 front hub is radial lace compatible. Would the previous 6500
> model front hub also be radial laced? Can any front hub, if its strong
> enough, be radial laced? Thanks to all . .

I can only speak from experience. I had a 32h wheel built by Barretto's
Bikes in Plymouth using a Shimano 600 hub and radially laced back in
1994. I used the wheel intermittently for general riding and time
trialling until earlier this year, when I sold it to a club colleague as
a training wheel. He won the world MTB enduro championship so it must
have come in useful ;-)

Don't build a 36h+ small flange hub radially. The gaps between the
spoke holes are too small and the flange is more likely to tear out.

rs wrote:
> I'm new to wheel building so the question may be silly but: Shimano says the
> Ultegra 6600 front hub is radial lace compatible. Would the previous 6500
> model front hub also be radial laced? Can any front hub, if its strong
> enough, be radial laced? Thanks to all . .

Any front hub can be built radially. The warranty will go away on most,
including 6500, but not a huge amount of fronts actually fail via
flange failure.

Gotta ask why radial tho-it really does nothing to help a wheel do it's
'wheel' thing.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> rs wrote:
>
>> I'm new to wheel building so the question may be silly but: Shimano
>> says the
>> Ultegra 6600 front hub is radial lace compatible. Would the
>> previous 6500
>> model front hub also be radial laced? Can any front hub, if its
>> strong
>> enough, be radial laced?
>>

> I can only speak from experience.
> Don't build a 36h+ small flange hub radially. The gaps between the
> spoke holes are too small and the flange is more likely to tear out.

SI-WH00F:
<http://www.paul-lange.de/produkte/shimano/support/pdf/archiv/Handbuecher/SI-WH00F-x13.pdf/>
<http://tinyurl.com/dw8hj>

In short: Shimano does not warranty radially spoked wheels. They have a
list of front hubs they consider "suitable" for radial lacing. The
HB-6500 is mentioned in this list in the 18 hole version only. The
other hubs are:

HB-7800
HB-6500-A
HB-5501-A
HB-M960
HB-M760
HB-M956 (right side only)
HB-7000 (24, 18, 16, 12 holes)
HB-6500 (18 holes)
HB-M752, M753 (36, 32, 28 holes)

This does not mean that hubs not mentioned in this list are too weak, of
course. I do not have radially spoked wheels other than a 27 spoke rear
wheel (this wheel was bought as a bargain and it performs surprisingly
well despite the 36 hole FH-6500) and do not consider it to be a good
idea in general.

Günther

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> rs wrote:
>> I'm new to wheel building so the question may be silly but: Shimano
>> says the Ultegra 6600 front hub is radial lace compatible. Would
>> the previous 6500 model front hub also be radial laced? Can any
>> front hub, if its strong enough, be radial laced? Thanks to all .
>> .

> Any front hub can be built radially. The warranty will go away on
> most, including 6500, but not a huge amount of fronts actually fail
> via flange failure.
>
> Gotta ask why radial tho-it really does nothing to help a wheel do
> it's 'wheel' thing.

You know the answer... looks different/cool/marketing!
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Clear information, thank you.

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>> Gotta ask why radial tho-it really does nothing to help a wheel do
>> it's 'wheel' thing.

> You know the answer... looks different/cool/marketing!
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Looks retro! Like velocipede wheels!

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 11:47:06 -0500, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>> rs wrote:
>>> I'm new to wheel building so the question may be silly but: Shimano
>>> says the Ultegra 6600 front hub is radial lace compatible. Would
>>> the previous 6500 model front hub also be radial laced? Can any
>>> front hub, if its strong enough, be radial laced? Thanks to all .
>>> .

>> Any front hub can be built radially. The warranty will go away on
>> most, including 6500, but not a huge amount of fronts actually fail
>> via flange failure.
>>
>> Gotta ask why radial tho-it really does nothing to help a wheel do
>> it's 'wheel' thing.

>You know the answer... looks different/cool/marketing!

Anybody try twisting them like the mountain bike fad of the mid 90s?

Ron

Yes.

rs wrote:

> I'm new to wheel building so the question may be silly but: Shimano says the
> Ultegra 6600 front hub is radial lace compatible. Would the previous 6500
> model front hub also be radial laced? Can any front hub, if its strong
> enough, be radial laced? Thanks to all . .

"Kristan Roberge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yes.
>
> rs wrote:
>
>> I'm new to wheel building so the question may be silly but: Shimano says
>> the
>> Ultegra 6600 front hub is radial lace compatible. Would the previous
>> 6500
>> model front hub also be radial laced? Can any front hub, if its strong
>> enough, be radial laced? Thanks to all . .

Actually no. You can certainly lace them up radially, but all the Shimano
hubs I've ever seen explicitly state that they shouldn't be built up that
way.

Skippy