Can USA Cycling destroy the sport by 2008?

Elite nats that are full for the top 5 teams to enter.
End a Philly tradition, by having US Pro Road Champs in Sept???
Kill a popular crit in Chicago by banning foreign riders, when THEY
make the race exciting!

No. I think it'll hang on longer than that.

[email protected] wrote:
> Elite nats that are full for the top 5 teams to enter.
> End a Philly tradition, by having US Pro Road Champs in Sept???
> Kill a popular crit in Chicago by banning foreign riders, when THEY
> make the race exciting!

Dumbass -

Most riders, even most racers, don't give a **** about what happens on
the N. American pro circuit. Whether the sport grows or wanes won't
have anything to do with the events you mention.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

On 12 Jul 2006 16:43:47 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Elite nats that are full for the top 5 teams to enter.
>End a Philly tradition, by having US Pro Road Champs in Sept???
>Kill a popular crit in Chicago by banning foreign riders, when THEY
>make the race exciting!

No. That's the spectator sport. The promoters were well on their way
to killing that part of the sport already.

OTOH, if you make it a challenge, I think they can destroy USA Cycling
pretty damn quick. The exit routes for local bike racing have already
been tested, though.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

[email protected] wrote:
> Elite nats that are full for the top 5 teams to enter.
> End a Philly tradition, by having US Pro Road Champs in Sept???
> Kill a popular crit in Chicago by banning foreign riders, when THEY
> make the race exciting!

Elite natz were only closed for those top-five teams, because those
top-five teams had lazy directors who refused to enter their riders
nice and early. What about individual rider responsibility?
Boo-hoo-hoo.

I sympathize with the riders who supposedy entered online (only to get
sniped by others who completed the checkout process earlier). Plan
ahead.

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Elite nats that are full for the top 5 teams to enter.
> > End a Philly tradition, by having US Pro Road Champs in Sept???
> > Kill a popular crit in Chicago by banning foreign riders, when THEY
> > make the race exciting!

> Dumbass -
>

> Most riders, even most racers, don't give a **** about what happens on
> the N. American pro circuit. Whether the sport grows or wanes won't
> have anything to do with the events you mention.
>

> thanks,
>
> K. Gringioni.

Yes, but are screwing the masters fatties in the same way that the
elite riders were screwed out of nats. You can't sell your entry - not
even to a teammate. The excuse is that it's too late for people to
make their travel plans, so they don't think anyone will want the
entries. This in spite of the fact that there are full waiting lists
for many events. They might get away with irritating a bunch of elite
riders, or even pros - but they ought not mess with the biggest segment
of their membership (no pun intended). AFAIK, there was no way at all
to cancel and get a refund, as we tried weeks ago to transfer an entry
and no dice.

[email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Elite nats that are full for the top 5 teams to enter.
>> End a Philly tradition, by having US Pro Road Champs in Sept???
>> Kill a popular crit in Chicago by banning foreign riders, when THEY
>> make the race exciting!

> Elite natz were only closed for those top-five teams, because those
> top-five teams had lazy directors who refused to enter their riders
> nice and early. What about individual rider responsibility?
> Boo-hoo-hoo.
>
> I sympathize with the riders who supposedy entered online (only to get
> sniped by others who completed the checkout process earlier). Plan
> ahead.

National championship slots should go to those who ride fastest,
not click fastest.

If there's too many cat 1's, then go to a point qualification system.

Dan

yeahyeah wrote:
> Yes, but are screwing the masters fatties in the same way that the
> elite riders were screwed out of nats. You can't sell your entry - not
> even to a teammate. The excuse is that it's too late for people to
> make their travel plans, so they don't think anyone will want the
> entries. This in spite of the fact that there are full waiting lists
> for many events. They might get away with irritating a bunch of elite
> riders, or even pros - but they ought not mess with the biggest segment
> of their membership (no pun intended). AFAIK, there was no way at all
> to cancel and get a refund, as we tried weeks ago to transfer an entry
> and no dice.

It turns out that you had to talk to the right person. I enquired about
giving away my entries and was first told no for the same reasons you
mentioned. Then, about a week before the races, a friend of mine dug a
little deeper and was able to buy his way in using my spots. Of course that
screwed the people on the waiting list(s).

As to the OP's three points:
1. I'm confident they will solve the full-fields problem for next year since
doing so will make more money for the promoter (and USAC?). Perhaps they'll
2. Philly didn't seem to suffer too much this year, did it?
3. They are letting foreigners into the Downer's Grove race.

Dan Connelly wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >> Elite nats that are full for the top 5 teams to enter.
> >> End a Philly tradition, by having US Pro Road Champs in Sept???
> >> Kill a popular crit in Chicago by banning foreign riders, when THEY
> >> make the race exciting!

> > Elite natz were only closed for those top-five teams, because those
> > top-five teams had lazy directors who refused to enter their riders
> > nice and early. What about individual rider responsibility?
> > Boo-hoo-hoo.
> >
> > I sympathize with the riders who supposedy entered online (only to get
> > sniped by others who completed the checkout process earlier). Plan
> > ahead.
> >

> National championship slots should go to those who ride fastest,
> not click fastest.
>
> If there's too many cat 1's, then go to a point qualification system.
>
> Dan

I thought the purpose of the championship was to determine who's
fastest? Now we have to have a championship to determine who get's in
the championship???