Can use FSA ISIS for Campag 10 spd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spooky

Anyone know if I can use an FSA Carbon Team crankset with slpined ISIS fitting instead of a Campag
Record 10 spd setup - of course I would use an ISIS splined BB (Shimano DA)?

I want to use it with Record RDR & FDR, 10spd chain etc

Thanks

In article <[email protected]>, Spooky <[email protected]> wrote:

> Anyone know if I can use an FSA Carbon Team crankset with slpined ISIS fitting instead of a Campag
> Record 10 spd setup - of course I would use an ISIS splined BB (Shimano DA)?
>
> I want to use it with Record RDR & FDR, 10spd chain etc

You have some research to do first. For one thing, Shimano's Octalink BB is not at all compatible
with the FSA ISIS splined crank. And thankfully so since the Shimano design is a poor one. You will
need an ISIS bottom bracket; there are many to choose from.

This ought to work (I've already seen it work), as long as the chainrings you buy are 10 speed
compatible. You just need to get the right BB length- FSA could probably advise you on that and may
even have compatibility information on their Web site.

I use it with my Chorus set-up just fine.

Spindle is 108mm. I use the Race face bb, as I had trouble finding the FSA bb at the time I got it.
Only problem is the Raceface bb, tends to loosen up and had to over tighten it.

While it is made to be 10speed, it would work just fine as a 9 speed. I have the older FSA 9 speed
on another bike. Biggest difference is the added stiffness provided by the ISIS bb.

I was able to use Shimano bb tools to tighten the cups and remove the cranks.

Even with the added stiffness of the ISIS bb, I probably would have gotten the cranks in Campy taper
if they were available at the time as I have more confidence in Campy bb's than all others.

Good luck

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Spooky <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Anyone know if I can use an FSA Carbon Team crankset with slpined ISIS fitting instead of a
> > Campag Record 10 spd setup - of course I would use an ISIS splined BB (Shimano DA)?
> >
> > I want to use it with Record RDR & FDR, 10spd chain etc
>
> You have some research to do first. For one thing, Shimano's Octalink BB is not at all compatible
> with the FSA ISIS splined crank. And thankfully so since the Shimano design is a poor one. You
> will need an ISIS bottom bracket; there are many to choose from.
>
> This ought to work (I've already seen it work), as long as the chainrings you buy are 10 speed
> compatible. You just need to get the right BB length- FSA could probably advise you on that and
> may even have compatibility information on their Web site.

the alien-<< Anyone know if I can use an FSA Carbon Team crankset with slpined ISIS fitting instead
of a Campag Record 10 spd setup - of course I would use an ISIS splined BB (Shimano DA)?

Use the FSA crank/BB-with any Campag system-works just fine-

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Tim-<< This ought to work (I've already seen it work), as long as the chainrings you buy are 10
speed compatible.

No need to even have the rings be '10s' compatible. I have put a Super Record crank, DuraAce crank,
Old 8s Campagnolo crank onto a 10s system w/o problem.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Thank you for all the replies

By the way, how much is the FSA BB for thiese cransk?

Thanks

Alan

On 31 Mar 2003 13:26:47 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

>the alien-<< Anyone know if I can use an FSA Carbon Team crankset with slpined ISIS fitting instead
>of a Campag Record 10 spd setup - of course I would use an ISIS splined BB (Shimano DA)?
>
>Use the FSA crank/BB-with any Campag system-works just fine-
>
>
>Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

do a search, i think the cromo version is about $45 mail order and the ti about $80.

i went witht the cromo, given my weight and the slight difference in weights of the bbs

"Spooky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Thank you for all the replies
>
> By the way, how much is the FSA BB for thiese cransk?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alan
>
> On 31 Mar 2003 13:26:47 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:
>
> >the alien-<< Anyone know if I can use an FSA Carbon Team crankset with
slpined
> >ISIS fitting instead of a Campag Record 10 spd setup - of course I would use an ISIS splined BB
> >(Shimano DA)?
> >
> >Use the FSA crank/BB-with any Campag system-works just fine-
> >
> >
> >Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
> >(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Thanks for the info!

Alan

On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 14:03:40 GMT, "Wantagofast" <[email protected]> wrote:

>do a search, i think the cromo version is about $45 mail order and the ti about $80.
>
>i went witht the cromo, given my weight and the slight difference in weights of the bbs
>
>
>"Spooky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Thank you for all the replies
>>
>> By the way, how much is the FSA BB for thiese cransk?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> On 31 Mar 2003 13:26:47 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:
>>
>> >the alien-<< Anyone know if I can use an FSA Carbon Team crankset with
>slpined
>> >ISIS fitting instead of a Campag Record 10 spd setup - of course I would use an ISIS splined BB
>> >(Shimano DA)?
>> >
>> >Use the FSA crank/BB-with any Campag system-works just fine-
>> >
>> >
>> >Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
>> >(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
>

Status
Not open for further replies.