Can we change our Frame?

Andrew Behm

Guest
Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not getting any
taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider. I know building
muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame actually change?
Are there supplements or stretches that are good for this? Will it naturally
happen as the muscles grow?

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Behm <commandrew(at)bendcable.com> wrote:
> Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
> lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not
> getting any taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider.
> I know building
> muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame actually
> change?
> Are there supplements or stretches that are good for this? Will it
> naturally happen as the muscles grow?
>
> Thanks,

You can try one of those contraptions you see people getting stretched in in
old movies. You know, those torture devices. :)

Andrew Behm wrote:
> Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
> lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not getting any
> taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider. I know building
> muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame actually change?
> Are there supplements or stretches that are good for this? Will it naturally
> happen as the muscles grow?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

Apart from surgery where they break your arms and legs and install a
metal frame through the skin and into the bones around the breaks,
you're not going to be increasing the length of your bones. There are
plenty of myths out there about this, though. Just like spot reduction.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote
> Andrew Behm <commandrew(at)bendcable.com> wrote:
>> Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
>> lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not
>> getting any taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider.
>> I know building
>> muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame actually
>> change?
>> Are there supplements or stretches that are good for this? Will it
>> naturally happen as the muscles grow?
>>
>> Thanks,

> You can try one of those contraptions you see people getting stretched in
> in
> old movies. You know, those torture devices. :)

Ilizarov device.

David

spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>Andrew Behm wrote:
>> Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
>> lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not getting any
>> taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider. I know building
>> muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame actually change?
>> Are there supplements or stretches that are good for this? Will it naturally
>> happen as the muscles grow?

>Apart from surgery where they break your arms and legs and install a
>metal frame through the skin and into the bones around the breaks,
>you're not going to be increasing the length of your bones. There are
>plenty of myths out there about this, though. Just like spot reduction.

And while you're at it, you might as well get your bones
shrink-wrapped in adamantium. :)
--

JMW
http://www.rustyiron.net

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:12:53 -0500, JMW <[email protected]> wrote:

>spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>>Andrew Behm wrote:
>>> Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
>>> lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not getting any
>>> taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider. I know building
>>> muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame actually change?
>>> Are there supplements or stretches that are good for this? Will it naturally
>>> happen as the muscles grow?

>>Apart from surgery where they break your arms and legs and install a
>>metal frame through the skin and into the bones around the breaks,
>>you're not going to be increasing the length of your bones. There are
>>plenty of myths out there about this, though. Just like spot reduction.

>And while you're at it, you might as well get your bones
>shrink-wrapped in adamantium. :)

you mean pilates won't make long lean muscle?
....thehick

JMW wrote:
> spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>
>>Andrew Behm wrote:
>>
>>>Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
>>>lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not getting any
>>>taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider. I know building
>>>muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame actually change?
>>>Are there supplements or stretches that are good for this? Will it naturally
>>>happen as the muscles grow?

>>Apart from surgery where they break your arms and legs and install a
>>metal frame through the skin and into the bones around the breaks,
>>you're not going to be increasing the length of your bones. There are
>>plenty of myths out there about this, though. Just like spot reduction.

> And while you're at it, you might as well get your bones
> shrink-wrapped in adamantium. :)

tried that with stainless steal then titanium...now my healing factor is
screwed up

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

"Andrew Behm" <commandrew(at)bendcable.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
> lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not
> getting any taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider.
> I know building muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone
> frame actually change? Are there supplements or stretches that are
> good for this? Will it naturally happen as the muscles grow?

Nope.

You can, however, fight the way time compresses the discs in your spine
which will let you measure a bit taller - various strategies to
decompress the spine, the simplest of which is regular hanging from a
chinup bar.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

> News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> 120,000+ Newsgroups
> =----

"Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Andrew Behm" <commandrew(at)bendcable.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
> > lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not
> > getting any taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider.
> > I know building muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone
> > frame actually change? Are there supplements or stretches that are
> > good for this? Will it naturally happen as the muscles grow?

> Nope.
>
> You can, however, fight the way time compresses the discs in your spine
> which will let you measure a bit taller - various strategies to
> decompress the spine, the simplest of which is regular hanging from a
> chinup bar.

But that all goes away come night time. I am 6-1 when I wake up and 6-0
sometimes even 5-11 1/2 when I go to sleep. What else can you do besides
hanging from a bar?

Thanks everyone.

I think I'll consider the adamantium. I don't know why I didn't think of
that a long time ago. Only problem is I hear the grafting process is
painful. Oh yeah, plus I'll die because my healing factor isn't up to par.
-andrew

"Andrew Behm" <commandrew(at)bendcable.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
> lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not getting
> any taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider. I know
> building muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame
> actually change? Are there supplements or stretches that are good for
> this? Will it naturally happen as the muscles grow?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

"tony kujawa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Andrew Behm" <commandrew(at)bendcable.com> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
> > > lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not
> > > getting any taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider.
> > > I know building muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone
> > > frame actually change? Are there supplements or stretches that are
> > > good for this? Will it naturally happen as the muscles grow?

> > Nope.
> >
> > You can, however, fight the way time compresses the discs in your spine
> > which will let you measure a bit taller - various strategies to
> > decompress the spine, the simplest of which is regular hanging from a
> > chinup bar.
> >

> But that all goes away come night time. I am 6-1 when I wake up and 6-0
> sometimes even 5-11 1/2 when I go to sleep. What else can you do besides
> hanging from a bar?

Sleep like a bat.

Stephen

"Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> You can, however, fight the way time compresses the discs in your spine
> which will let you measure a bit taller - various strategies to
> decompress the spine, the simplest of which is regular hanging from a
> chinup bar.

How long do you need to do it for it to have any affect?

spodosaurus wrote:
> Andrew Behm wrote:

re
> > [snip]broaden your shoulders.

[snip]
> Apart from surgery where they break your
> arms and legs and install a metal frame through
> the skin and into the bones around the breaks,
> you're not going to be increasing the length
> of your bones.

[snip]

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=310&topcategory=General Information

According to info found at the other end of that URL, there's a
procedure using a telescoping nail as well now. If surgeons can do it
for limbs I don't see why collar bones couldn't be changed, too. Steeve
Reeves shoulders, here I come!

--
Curt
http://curtjames.com/

"tony kujawa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Andrew Behm" <commandrew(at)bendcable.com> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that
>> > can
>> > lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not
>> > getting any taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders
>> > wider.
>> > I know building muscle can make them appear bigger but does the
>> > bone
>> > frame actually change? Are there supplements or stretches that are
>> > good for this? Will it naturally happen as the muscles grow?

>> Nope.
>>
>> You can, however, fight the way time compresses the discs in your
>> spine
>> which will let you measure a bit taller - various strategies to
>> decompress the spine, the simplest of which is regular hanging from a
>> chinup bar.
>>

> But that all goes away come night time. I am 6-1 when I wake up and
> 6-0
> sometimes even 5-11 1/2 when I go to sleep. What else can you do
> besides
> hanging from a bar?

I hang from a chinup bar many times each day - we've got one at the foot
of the basement stairs, a place I pass by often because my office is in
the basement. Do it often enough, the effect becomes essentially
permanent, which is to say that if you stopped doing it, yes, your
height measurement would revert to its former, smaller size.

There is a protocol for doing this, usually contract/relax. You grab
the bar, you fully extend, you take a breath and hold it, tensing your
muscles without rising up, then you relax for a second or two and sink
lower - it's the relaxing that will let the spine get a bit longer.

I have gained about 3/8" in height doing this, including measurements
taken in the evening. Pavel tells a story in one of his books about a
particular short person who did this regularly but with a lot of added
weight and who "gained" a full inch. Certainly working on weighted
chinups (using a dipping belt, not a vest) every day wouldn't be a bad
thing in this regard.

Regarding Stephen's idea, I had memories of Richard Geer in "American
Gigolo" doing inverted situps while hanging from the ceiling.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Andrew Behm (at) wrote:
> Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
> lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not

getting any
> taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider. I know

building
> muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame actually

change?
> Are there supplements or stretches that are good for this? Will it

naturally
> happen as the muscles grow?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

It's not lengthening your spine or broadening your shoulders, and many
think it's a myth, but some believe that you can expand your rib cage
with a combination of breathing squats and DB pullovers (or Rader chest
pulls).

http://www.graphicmuscle.com/Page.aspx?file=chest_expansion.htm

[email protected] wrote:
> Andrew Behm (at) wrote:
>> Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
>> lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not

> getting any
>> taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider. I know

> building
>> muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame actually

> change?
>> Are there supplements or stretches that are good for this? Will it

> naturally
>> happen as the muscles grow?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andrew
>>

> It's not lengthening your spine or broadening your shoulders, and many
> think it's a myth, but some believe that you can expand your rib cage
> with a combination of breathing squats and DB pullovers (or Rader
> chest pulls).
>
> http://www.graphicmuscle.com/Page.aspx?file=chest_expansion.htm

Curious. I used to do many of those rib cage expansion movements when I was
a kid (Charles Atlas?). I have a friggin hugh rib cage now. Of course, I
assume it was due to genetics, not those movements.