Can we change our Frame?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Andrew Behm, Mar 15, 2005.

  1. Andrew Behm

    Andrew Behm Guest

    Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
    lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not getting any
    taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider. I know building
    muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame actually change?
    Are there supplements or stretches that are good for this? Will it naturally
    happen as the muscles grow?

    Thanks,

    Andrew

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Andrew Behm <commandrew(at)bendcable.com> wrote:
    > Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
    > lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not
    > getting any taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider.
    > I know building
    > muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame actually
    > change?
    > Are there supplements or stretches that are good for this? Will it
    > naturally happen as the muscles grow?
    >
    > Thanks,

    You can try one of those contraptions you see people getting stretched in in
    old movies. You know, those torture devices. :)

  3. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    Andrew Behm wrote:
    > Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
    > lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not getting any
    > taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider. I know building
    > muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame actually change?
    > Are there supplements or stretches that are good for this? Will it naturally
    > happen as the muscles grow?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Andrew

    Apart from surgery where they break your arms and legs and install a
    metal frame through the skin and into the bones around the breaks,
    you're not going to be increasing the length of your bones. There are
    plenty of myths out there about this, though. Just like spot reduction.

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

  4. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Andrew Behm <commandrew(at)bendcable.com> wrote:
    >> Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
    >> lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not
    >> getting any taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider.
    >> I know building
    >> muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame actually
    >> change?
    >> Are there supplements or stretches that are good for this? Will it
    >> naturally happen as the muscles grow?
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    > You can try one of those contraptions you see people getting stretched in
    > in
    > old movies. You know, those torture devices. :)

    Ilizarov device.

    David

  5. JMW

    JMW Guest

    spodosaurus <[email protected]_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    >Andrew Behm wrote:
    >> Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
    >> lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not getting any
    >> taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider. I know building
    >> muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame actually change?
    >> Are there supplements or stretches that are good for this? Will it naturally
    >> happen as the muscles grow?

    >Apart from surgery where they break your arms and legs and install a
    >metal frame through the skin and into the bones around the breaks,
    >you're not going to be increasing the length of your bones. There are
    >plenty of myths out there about this, though. Just like spot reduction.

    And while you're at it, you might as well get your bones
    shrink-wrapped in adamantium. :)
    --

    JMW
    http://www.rustyiron.net

  6. On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:12:53 -0500, JMW <[email protected]> wrote:

    >spodosaurus <[email protected]_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    >>Andrew Behm wrote:
    >>> Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
    >>> lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not getting any
    >>> taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider. I know building
    >>> muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame actually change?
    >>> Are there supplements or stretches that are good for this? Will it naturally
    >>> happen as the muscles grow?

    >>Apart from surgery where they break your arms and legs and install a
    >>metal frame through the skin and into the bones around the breaks,
    >>you're not going to be increasing the length of your bones. There are
    >>plenty of myths out there about this, though. Just like spot reduction.

    >And while you're at it, you might as well get your bones
    >shrink-wrapped in adamantium. :)

    you mean pilates won't make long lean muscle?
    ....thehick

  7. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    JMW wrote:
    > spodosaurus <[email protected]_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Andrew Behm wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
    >>>lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not getting any
    >>>taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider. I know building
    >>>muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame actually change?
    >>>Are there supplements or stretches that are good for this? Will it naturally
    >>>happen as the muscles grow?

    >>Apart from surgery where they break your arms and legs and install a
    >>metal frame through the skin and into the bones around the breaks,
    >>you're not going to be increasing the length of your bones. There are
    >>plenty of myths out there about this, though. Just like spot reduction.

    > And while you're at it, you might as well get your bones
    > shrink-wrapped in adamantium. :)

    tried that with stainless steal then titanium...now my healing factor is
    screwed up

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

  8. "Andrew Behm" <commandrew(at)bendcable.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
    > lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not
    > getting any taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider.
    > I know building muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone
    > frame actually change? Are there supplements or stretches that are
    > good for this? Will it naturally happen as the muscles grow?

    Nope.

    You can, however, fight the way time compresses the discs in your spine
    which will let you measure a bit taller - various strategies to
    decompress the spine, the simplest of which is regular hanging from a
    chinup bar.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Andrew

    > News==----
    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    > 120,000+ Newsgroups
    > =----

  9. tony kujawa

    tony kujawa Guest

    "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Andrew Behm" <commandrew(at)bendcable.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
    > > lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not
    > > getting any taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider.
    > > I know building muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone
    > > frame actually change? Are there supplements or stretches that are
    > > good for this? Will it naturally happen as the muscles grow?

    > Nope.
    >
    > You can, however, fight the way time compresses the discs in your spine
    > which will let you measure a bit taller - various strategies to
    > decompress the spine, the simplest of which is regular hanging from a
    > chinup bar.

    But that all goes away come night time. I am 6-1 when I wake up and 6-0
    sometimes even 5-11 1/2 when I go to sleep. What else can you do besides
    hanging from a bar?

  10. Andrew Behm

    Andrew Behm Guest

    Thanks everyone.

    I think I'll consider the adamantium. I don't know why I didn't think of
    that a long time ago. Only problem is I hear the grafting process is
    painful. Oh yeah, plus I'll die because my healing factor isn't up to par.
    -andrew

    "Andrew Behm" <commandrew(at)bendcable.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
    > lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not getting
    > any taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider. I know
    > building muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame
    > actually change? Are there supplements or stretches that are good for
    > this? Will it naturally happen as the muscles grow?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Andrew

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups
    > =----

  11. "tony kujawa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "Andrew Behm" <commandrew(at)bendcable.com> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
    > > > lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not
    > > > getting any taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider.
    > > > I know building muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone
    > > > frame actually change? Are there supplements or stretches that are
    > > > good for this? Will it naturally happen as the muscles grow?

    > > Nope.
    > >
    > > You can, however, fight the way time compresses the discs in your spine
    > > which will let you measure a bit taller - various strategies to
    > > decompress the spine, the simplest of which is regular hanging from a
    > > chinup bar.
    > >

    > But that all goes away come night time. I am 6-1 when I wake up and 6-0
    > sometimes even 5-11 1/2 when I go to sleep. What else can you do besides
    > hanging from a bar?

    Sleep like a bat.

    Stephen

  12. David

    David Guest

    "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

    > You can, however, fight the way time compresses the discs in your spine
    > which will let you measure a bit taller - various strategies to
    > decompress the spine, the simplest of which is regular hanging from a
    > chinup bar.

    How long do you need to do it for it to have any affect?

  13. Curt James

    Curt James Guest

    spodosaurus wrote:
    > Andrew Behm wrote:

    re
    > > [snip]broaden your shoulders.

    [snip]
    > Apart from surgery where they break your
    > arms and legs and install a metal frame through
    > the skin and into the bones around the breaks,
    > you're not going to be increasing the length
    > of your bones.

    [snip]

    http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=310&topcategory=General Information

    According to info found at the other end of that URL, there's a
    procedure using a telescoping nail as well now. If surgeons can do it
    for limbs I don't see why collar bones couldn't be changed, too. Steeve
    Reeves shoulders, here I come!

    --
    Curt
    http://curtjames.com/

  14. "tony kujawa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> "Andrew Behm" <commandrew(at)bendcable.com> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that
    >> > can
    >> > lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not
    >> > getting any taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders
    >> > wider.
    >> > I know building muscle can make them appear bigger but does the
    >> > bone
    >> > frame actually change? Are there supplements or stretches that are
    >> > good for this? Will it naturally happen as the muscles grow?

    >> Nope.
    >>
    >> You can, however, fight the way time compresses the discs in your
    >> spine
    >> which will let you measure a bit taller - various strategies to
    >> decompress the spine, the simplest of which is regular hanging from a
    >> chinup bar.
    >>

    > But that all goes away come night time. I am 6-1 when I wake up and
    > 6-0
    > sometimes even 5-11 1/2 when I go to sleep. What else can you do
    > besides
    > hanging from a bar?

    I hang from a chinup bar many times each day - we've got one at the foot
    of the basement stairs, a place I pass by often because my office is in
    the basement. Do it often enough, the effect becomes essentially
    permanent, which is to say that if you stopped doing it, yes, your
    height measurement would revert to its former, smaller size.

    There is a protocol for doing this, usually contract/relax. You grab
    the bar, you fully extend, you take a breath and hold it, tensing your
    muscles without rising up, then you relax for a second or two and sink
    lower - it's the relaxing that will let the spine get a bit longer.

    I have gained about 3/8" in height doing this, including measurements
    taken in the evening. Pavel tells a story in one of his books about a
    particular short person who did this regularly but with a lot of added
    weight and who "gained" a full inch. Certainly working on weighted
    chinups (using a dipping belt, not a vest) every day wouldn't be a bad
    thing in this regard.

    Regarding Stephen's idea, I had memories of Richard Geer in "American
    Gigolo" doing inverted situps while hanging from the ceiling.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  15. Andrew Behm (at) wrote:
    > Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
    > lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not

    getting any
    > taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider. I know

    building
    > muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame actually

    change?
    > Are there supplements or stretches that are good for this? Will it

    naturally
    > happen as the muscles grow?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Andrew

    It's not lengthening your spine or broadening your shoulders, and many
    think it's a myth, but some believe that you can expand your rib cage
    with a combination of breathing squats and DB pullovers (or Rader chest
    pulls).

    http://www.graphicmuscle.com/Page.aspx?file=chest_expansion.htm

  16. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Andrew Behm (at) wrote:
    >> Hi I'm wondering if there are excercises or weight training that can
    >> lengthen your spine and broaden your shoulders. I'm 6'1" and not

    > getting any
    >> taller, but i'd like my torso longer and shoulders wider. I know

    > building
    >> muscle can make them appear bigger but does the bone frame actually

    > change?
    >> Are there supplements or stretches that are good for this? Will it

    > naturally
    >> happen as the muscles grow?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Andrew
    >>

    > It's not lengthening your spine or broadening your shoulders, and many
    > think it's a myth, but some believe that you can expand your rib cage
    > with a combination of breathing squats and DB pullovers (or Rader
    > chest pulls).
    >
    > http://www.graphicmuscle.com/Page.aspx?file=chest_expansion.htm

    Curious. I used to do many of those rib cage expansion movements when I was
    a kid (Charles Atlas?). I have a friggin hugh rib cage now. Of course, I
    assume it was due to genetics, not those movements.