Can you describe a blowout?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Lhoffman, Jun 16, 2003.

  1. Lhoffman

    Lhoffman Guest

    Now that I've fixed my compressor and I can get the pressure in my tires above 40 PSI, I'm getting a
    little nervous about being so close to them as I inflate them, just because they're a little old
    (but no damage or dry rot). But maybe just because I've never experinced a tire blowout. So, anyone
    who's ever blown a tire as they were inflating it, what's the potential for harm?

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (lhoffman) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Now that I've fixed my compressor and I can get the pressure in my tires above 40 PSI, I'm getting
    > a little nervous about being so close to them as I inflate them, just because they're a little old
    > (but no damage or dry rot). But maybe just because I've never experinced a tire blowout. So,
    > anyone who's ever blown a tire as they were inflating it, what's the potential for harm?

    A bike tire? Your ears.

    - Brian "BLAM!" Huntley

  3. Mark Lee

    Mark Lee Guest

    "lhoffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Now that I've fixed my compressor and I can get the pressure in my tires above 40 PSI, I'm getting
    > a little nervous about being so close to them as I inflate them, just because they're a little old
    > (but no damage or dry rot). But maybe just because I've never experinced a tire blowout. So,
    > anyone who's ever blown a tire as they were inflating it, what's the potential for harm?

    BANG!

    Mark Lee

  4. Seamus

    Seamus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    Blowout.

    Twice.

    Both times a gentle hiss followed by a VERY LOUD BANG such that people turned to see what the noise was and my wheel rim was instantly an inch and a quarter closer to the road.

  5. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Seamus who? writes:

    > Blowout.

    > Twice.

    > Both times a gentle hiss followed by a VERY LOUD BANG such that people turned to see what the
    > noise was and my wheel rim was instantly an inch and a quarter closer to the road.

    If this occurred twice, I assume you must have some explanation for
    it. I find curious that the blowout was preceded by audible leaking. What did you find after the
    blowout? Did the tire come off the rim or did the casing burst, and how did this first make a
    hissing sound. Please expand on this.

  6. Jim Edgar

    Jim Edgar Guest

    Mark Lee at [email protected] wrote on 6/16/03 10:57 PM:
    > BANG!

    or

    .... BANG! riiiiiiinggggriiiiiinnnngggriiiiingggg

  7. [email protected] (lhoffman) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Now that I've fixed my compressor and I can get the pressure in my tires above 40 PSI, I'm getting
    > a little nervous about being so close to them as I inflate them, just because they're a little old
    > (but no damage or dry rot). But maybe just because I've never experinced a tire blowout. So,
    > anyone who's ever blown a tire as they were inflating it, what's the potential for harm?

    This happened to me once while inflating a tire with a frame pump. There I was, sitting cross-legged
    on the ground with the wheel in my lap. I remember that for an instant before it blew I could
    actually see the growing bulge, but I had very little time to get alarmed before, as others have
    mentioned, BANG. It was quite loud.

  8. [email protected] (Heathcliff Bambino) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > This happened to me once while inflating a tire with a frame pump. [snip] It was quite loud.

    If you want _really_ loud, try having the rim give way while you're inflating.. To be fair, I did
    know the rim was wearing out, it was pretty grooved from mud getting caught in the brake blocks,
    etc, but I was still surprised to be inflating the tire, hear an almighty bang -- and once my ears
    had stopped ringing, there was a 12" or so rip down the length of the side of the rim.

    The tire itself was fine, amazingly -- the innertube less so..

    -- dan

  9. Hunrobe

    Hunrobe Guest

    wrote in part:

    >anyone who's ever blown a tire as they were inflating it, what's the potential for harm?

    Although it will sting a bit if you happen to have your hand on the precise spot that blows out, the
    skinned knuckle you may get dismounting the wheel would be a more serious injury. IOW, no big deal.

    Regards, Bob Hunt

  10. Seamus

    Seamus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    Summer holiday tours 12 months apart.

    Nutrack Nomad tyres, ragged hole in the inner tubes, 3" split in the tyre casing where it meets the rim.

    Incompatability between tyre and rim perhaps.

  11. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > [email protected] (lhoffman) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Now that I've fixed my compressor and I can get the pressure in my tires above 40 PSI, I'm
    > > getting a little nervous about being so close to them as I inflate them, just because they're
    > > a little old (but no damage or dry rot). But maybe just because I've never experinced a tire
    > > blowout. So, anyone who's ever blown a tire as they were inflating it, what's the potential
    > > for harm?
    >
    > This happened to me once while inflating a tire with a frame pump. There I was, sitting
    > cross-legged on the ground with the wheel in my lap. I remember that for an instant before it blew
    > I could actually see the growing bulge, but I had very little time to get alarmed before, as
    > others have mentioned, BANG. It was quite loud.

    Happens every now and then here, I hate inflating 110 psi road tires, especially when they aren't
    new. They always seem to let you get to 105
    psi before they blow. Then you can't hear for a little while. guy I knew once made a compress out of
    an old fridge compressor. Well I don't know how high those will go but they certainly don't cut
    off at 110 psi for safety like a shop compressor does. He put it on a mtn. bike tire and walked
    away for just a few minutes. The tire went off like a bomb and the wheel hit the ceiling, the rim
    was tacoed, the metal bead was separated form the carcass about 3/4 of the way around and my ears
    were ringing for hours even though I was outside the garage.
    --