Can you do max/sprint intervals on a roller?

nordicgirl777

Nov 26, 2010
I've ridden a roller before, and really enjoyed it once I got the hang of it. I found it a lot less boring than a trainer, and thought it took similar skills to riding a unicycle.

I don't have a roller now, but i'm looking into getting one. Is it possible to do speed workouts on a roller? I realize it might take some, ok lets be realistic, a lot of time on a roller before I'm able to do speed workouts, but if I get good enough, is there enough resistance?

I did a bit of research on rollers that were more functional. In doing so it seemed that e-motion rollers had great reviews, primarily because they offered the features that you are looking for (adjustable resistance, and suposabally designed to make it easier to do sprints/max intervals). I never pulled the trigger because I was really not looking to spend that much, but if I ever changed my mind...........

The problem with rollers is more with fear/confidence rather than ability. I found that my ability on rollers came quickly but my confidence took longer. I now do out of the saddle sprints and it will make you very smooth. If your pedal stroke is all over the place then you will be to.