Can you eat too much protein?

I run/jog on an average of 3 times a week for about 1 mile in under 10 minutes.

I also do Yoga.

I am intensely aware of even minute changes in my body and have not really experienced this sensation before. I didn't know if the sensation came from my diet or from other reasons. I thought I'd start with the diet as it's usually the culprit in most situations.

I was hoping someone out there would have some sort of clue for me, but then again, it's a vague description for something that might be needing more 'in depth' research and not an 'off the cuff' response... but it doesn't hurt to try, right?

zaskar said:
What kind of work out? most people do consume to much protien. im 140lbs i only need 70 grms a day. i dont think you would feel it in your mucsles though, i could be wrong.

Beastt said:
I see a lot of advice being given out about increasing protein consumption to build muscle mass, endurance and even to lose weight. Since the average person, (in America), already consumes approximately 30% of his caloric intake in protein, is there such a thing as eating too much protein and what might be the result of doing so?

Yeah i went to the Doc and was told i had an abnormally high uric acid content in the blood due to excessive protein in the diet.... A trainer at the gym i went to also said he used protein powder only in bulk hits every few months for the same reason.....

I researched 'uric acid' and found a neat site that explains also why I feel a lot of pain sometimes, and especially lately (I have Rhumetoid Arthritis also, as well as Fibromyalsia... which I can't spell, obviously). http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/uric_acid/test.html
Pay attention to the last paragraph.

tech.racer said:
Yeah i went to the Doc and was told i had an abnormally high uric acid content in the blood due to excessive protein in the diet.... A trainer at the gym i went to also said he used protein powder only in bulk hits every few months for the same reason.....

cmorgan3 said:
I've noticed that my quadriceps felt more solid than usual, especially after a high consumption of protein (I'm an almond, hazelnut, peanut, walnut, etc. eater!) and was concerned that I might've consumed too much protein. My muscles felt sluggish, solid, heavy and non-cooperative. Towards the end of the workout, or even the middle, I could tell they'd loosened up a bit. Could it be from something else? I'm not able to consume dairy, and I was happy to rule the lactic acid build-up out of the equation, but I wasn't sure if there could be any other reason for the 'problem.'
I don't think peanut butter and the like is a source of protein. It's a fat.

Amount Per 1 tablespoon Calories 94.88
Calories from Fat 73.48

Protein 4.03g

4 grams of protein is not a lot. 4 oz of Chicken breast is about 40 grams of protein.
IMO, your issue is not with eating too much protein.

What kinds of processed foods are you eating? I would think if you are eating commercial peanut butter and the like, maybe your sodium levels are causing the tightness in your legs. Also sugar, which in is commercial peanut butter is an inflammatory agent - too much of it can cause inflammation of joints and muscles in some.

Are you prone to edema or water retention?

I eat a lot of nuts, not necessarily peanut butter. Those nuts are purchased bulk from a bulk food store, and they're roasted and salted.

I also will often eat just the meat from the meal served (including red meat) and not much else. I eat lots of raw fruits and vegi's and don't consume much, if any, dairy. I have been accused of consuming a bit too much sugar, but I do try and substitute most sugary foods like cookies and candies with naturally sweet foods like dates and prunes.

I'm not really prone to water retention, only occaisionally. I'm sort of surprised sometimes that I'm not as I have a tendency to drink large amounts of water from time to time.

missy24 said:
I don't think peanut butter and the like is a source of protein. It's a fat.

Amount Per 1 tablespoon Calories 94.88
Calories from Fat 73.48

Protein 4.03g

4 grams of protein is not a lot. 4 oz of Chicken breast is about 40 grams of protein.
IMO, your issue is not with eating too much protein.

What kinds of processed foods are you eating? I would think if you are eating commercial peanut butter and the like, maybe your sodium levels are causing the tightness in your legs. Also sugar, which in is commercial peanut butter is an inflammatory agent - too much of it can cause inflammation of joints and muscles in some.

Are you prone to edema or water retention?