Can you email me a E-book "Training and racing with a power meter" please?

cat6

Jun 2, 2004

kpyto at yahoo.com

cat6 said:

kpyto at yahoo.com
Forgive me for saying that it's unlikely anyone from this board would do that. :)

-Eric

Why don't you just go buy it - it isn't all the expensive.

I mean, if everybody got stuff for free, what incentive would there be to create things?

Yojimbo_ said:

I mean, if everybody got stuff for free, what incentive would there be to create things?

:rolleyes:

we have his / her e-mail address now...we can sen LOADS of free things to it now ;)

Yojimbo_ said:

Well that depends. We could have a centralised prize system, or an IP rights auction funded out of taxation revenue with a small but non-zero probability that rights were assigned to a private bidder, or people could create for social incentives or to signal value to a private potential employer, or...

OK, so Intellectual Property economics may be a little OT.

Just buy the book yo. Big ups to Hunter and Cog.

Roadie_scum said:
Well that depends. We could have a centralised prize system, or an IP rights auction funded out of taxation revenue with a small but non-zero probability that rights were assigned to a private bidder, or people could create for social incentives or to signal value to a private potential employer, or...

OK, so Intellectual Property economics may be a little OT.

Just buy the book yo. Big ups to Hunter and Cog.
I don't think you have a clue about what you are talking about. In fact, I know you don't.

Yojimbo_ said:
I don't think you have a clue about what you are talking about. In fact, I know you don't.

To respond further...

It wasn't really a serious comment so much as a joke or aside that things can be free and still have an incentive to create. When this is possible distributional inefficiencies associated with monopoly (deadweight loss) is eliminated. I agree with your initial comment in so far as there is no something for nothing.

Now, as to the specifics:

The auction doesn't work except for 'big things' (valuable patents), has lots of practical problems, game theoretical problems, etc. Not really a serious suggestion for a book.

Same with the prize system although it has been used in some innovation environments and could be used if you wanted a specific book created that you might not get with copyright as the sole incentive. Eg: commission books on a certain topic, winning book gets prize, but you get copyright, then distribute it under a creative commons license.

Or: if you want a book that is distributed freely for moral reasons (eg you're a charity and the book is on providing free water to the third world), you could contract it out to an expert then distribute it for free.

As far as social incentives, Cog creates for these all the time. The academic community operates under a set of social incentives in addition to their grant money, which is not tied to a specific outcome and can't properly be viewed like a normal contract.

Or you could write a book to prove you could do it and thus your value to an employer (this is kind of like some people's motivation for doing a PhD, the ones who don't operate under the social incentives that lead to a career in academia).

Anyway, just a silly aside, but I'm not sure where you get off saying I don't have a clue what I'm talking about. What's your expertise big fella?

[Edit: spelling and grammar]

cat6 said:

kpyto at yahoo.com

Cat6,
I guess you figured by now that the complete Training and Racing With a Power Meter is not available in an ebook. But excerpts put together for Ergomo are available on line: http://www.sykkeltrening.no/forum/dokumenter/powerbased_training.pdf

It's a great primer and has some pretty good info but is no substitute for the hard copy book: http://www.amazon.com/Training-Racing-Power-Meter-Hunter/dp/1931382794

This book is worth many times its cover price if you want to get faster on your bike.

-Dave

You'll have to type the address in manually. The link doesn't work for some reason :confused:

timmo888 said:
You'll have to type the address in manually. The link doesn't work for some reason :confused:
Because the embedded link itself doesn't point to the URL shown.

For those do-it-yourself-ers, much of the basic information of the book can be found for free here: http://www.peakscoachinggroup.com/Power_Training_Chapter.pdf

and here:
http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/power411/

If people find that helpful, then I encourage them to cough up the ~$12 for a more complete and portable copy. The authors litterally make pennies per copy sold, for their effort.

Roadie_scum said:
It wasn't really a serious comment so much as a joke or aside that things can be free and still have an incentive to create.
I thought it was funny.:)

For some reason I continue to be amazed at the breadth of expertise found on an internet forum such as this. I remember a while back someone was posting about oxygen usage and made an off-hand comment about holding one's breath while free-diving. Well, another poster named "Blue Icarus" piped up and set us all straight about the nuances of competitive free diving. :eek:

Personally, I can't wait until the conversation turns toward nuclear-powered submarines.... :D

frenchyge said:
I thought it was funny.:)

Thanks mate, not even I think most of my jokes are funny. :D

For some reason I continue to be amazed at the breadth of expertise found on an internet forum such as this. I remember a while back someone was posting about oxygen usage and made an off-hand comment about holding one's breath while free-diving. Well, another poster named "Blue Icarus" piped up and set us all straight about the nuances of competitive free diving. :eek:

Brilliant! I think this one is one of the best forums for that kind of thing.

Personally, I can't wait until the conversation turns toward nuclear-powered submarines.... :D

Planning on becoming a global superpower are we Frenchy?

frenchyge said:
If people find that helpful, then I encourage them to cough up the ~$12 for a more complete and portable copy. The authors litterally make pennies per copy sold, for their effort.
Human nature is amazing...we spend 1000+ $, € whatever on a power trainer and don;t want to spend the 12 to make sure we're using it correctly......

Roadie_scum said:
Planning on becoming a global superpower are we Frenchy?
Been there, done that. I'm just hoping that knowledge can be made useful (or at least entertaining) at some point. :D

Roadie_scum said:
To respond further...

It wasn't really a serious comment so much as a joke or aside that things can be free and still have an incentive to create. When this is possible distributional inefficiencies associated with monopoly (deadweight loss) is eliminated. I agree with your initial comment in so far as there is no something for nothing.

Now, as to the specifics:

The auction doesn't work except for 'big things' (valuable patents), has lots of practical problems, game theoretical problems, etc. Not really a serious suggestion for a book.

Same with the prize system although it has been used in some innovation environments and could be used if you wanted a specific book created that you might not get with copyright as the sole incentive. Eg: commission books on a certain topic, winning book gets prize, but you get copyright, then distribute it under a creative commons license.

Or: if you want a book that is distributed freely for moral reasons (eg you're a charity and the book is on providing free water to the third world), you could contract it out to an expert then distribute it for free.

As far as social incentives, Cog creates for these all the time. The academic community operates under a set of social incentives in addition to their grant money, which is not tied to a specific outcome and can't properly be viewed like a normal contract.

Or you could write a book to prove you could do it and thus your value to an employer (this is kind of like some people's motivation for doing a PhD, the ones who don't operate under the social incentives that lead to a career in academia).

Anyway, just a silly aside, but I'm not sure where you get off saying I don't have a clue what I'm talking about. What's your expertise big fella?

[Edit: spelling and grammar]
Touched a nerve did I?