Can you fit a 9 speed cassette on a modern 10 speed wheel?

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
Most of the new 10 speed Shimano wheels say they only fit a Shimano 10 speed cassette. Has anyone tried fitting a 9 speed on one and did it work? Specifically, I have my eye one the new 2008 titanium Campy Shamal Ultra wheel. This wheel is so totally sexy and light at 1395 grams! I'd love to put it on my Kestrel Talon but it's kitted with Ultegra 9. Would be expensive to upgrade to 10, and I'm still happy with 9 speed. My Raleigh Prestige is Shimano 10.

JTE83 said:
Most of the new 10 speed Shimano wheels say they only fit a Shimano 10 speed cassette. Has anyone tried fitting a 9 speed on one and did it work? Specifically, I have my eye one the new 2008 titanium Campy Shamal Ultra wheel. This wheel is so totally sexy and light at 1395 grams! I'd love to put it on my Kestrel Talon but it's kitted with Ultegra 9. Would be expensive to upgrade to 10, and I'm still happy with 9 speed. My Raleigh Prestige is Shimano 10.

I am pretty sure that the Campy shimano-compatible freehub body is 9 adn 10s compatible. The Shimano Dura-Ace 10s (and similar level) hubs have a different spline height on the freehub body that only accomodates 10s cassettes.

As far a cost of upgrading the 9s ultegra to 10s, you would need the 10s shifters, 10s cassette, 10s chain. The crankset and rear derailleur will work fine. The 9s FD will also work (need to do a little overshift to get the narrower 10s chain to move), but a 10s FD will shift better. You can add up the cost--but you are probably looking at $300+ depending on what level of component you get and what sales you might find.

John M said:
I am pretty sure that the Campy shimano-compatible freehub body is 9 adn 10s compatible. The Shimano Dura-Ace 10s (and similar level) hubs have a different spline height on the freehub body that only accomodates 10s cassettes.

As far a cost of upgrading the 9s ultegra to 10s, you would need the 10s shifters, 10s cassette, 10s chain. The crankset and rear derailleur will work fine. The 9s FD will also work (need to do a little overshift to get the narrower 10s chain to move), but a 10s FD will shift better. You can add up the cost--but you are probably looking at $300+ depending on what level of component you get and what sales you might find.
I did this with a 2mm freewheel spacer (put a 9 speed cassette on a 10 speed hub). Shimano compatible system - Mavic Cosmos hub. Spacer cost $2 at the LBS. Worked fine. So far :)
George

spacer is the way to go, or you can use a spare cog (though heavier). Just slip the cog on first but make sure the derailleur is adjusted to compensate.

geoinmillbrook said:
I did this with a 2mm freewheel spacer (put a 9 speed cassette on a 10 speed hub). Shimano compatible system - Mavic Cosmos hub. Spacer cost $2 at the LBS. Worked fine. So far :)
George
+1. I've used a lot of spacers. I'm too cheap to go out and buy a new drivetrain every time they add another cog to cassettes.

Know of any online places that sells these spacers? Gotta link?