Can you get done for not wearing a helmet?

On 13 May 2007 07:27:23 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>On the cycle paths, next to the River Clyde. Not on the road. Could a
>dodgy plod come over and issue me a ticket?

No.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

[email protected] wrote on 13/05/2007 15:27 +0100:
> On the cycle paths, next to the River Clyde. Not on the road. Could a
> dodgy plod come over and issue me a ticket?

No but the rest of us will probably come over and skelp you with a belt
to shut you up. Now back under your bridge laddie.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

[email protected] wrote:
> On the cycle paths, next to the River Clyde. Not on the road. Could a
> dodgy plod come over and issue me a ticket?

Of course he could, and you should be able to have lots of fun with it
in the courts.

"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On the cycle paths, next to the River Clyde. Not on the road. Could a
> dodgy plod come over and issue me a ticket?

Absolutely not. You are not required by law to wear a cycling helmet
anywhere in Britain, under any circumstances at all. If you are racing
under UCI rules, then you are required to wear a helmet; but only by the
UCI's rules, not by the law.

Morning had broken, and there was nothing left for us to do
but pick up the pieces.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> On the cycle paths, next to the River Clyde. Not on the road. Could a
>> dodgy plod come over and issue me a ticket?

> Absolutely not. You are not required by law to wear a cycling helmet
> anywhere in Britain, under any circumstances at all. If you are racing
> under UCI rules, then you are required to wear a helmet; but only by the
> UCI's rules, not by the law.

Check the Troll-o-meter Simon... A more apposite question might have
been "can a doctor have me locked up for not having a brain?"

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On 14 May, 09:14, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>,
>
> [email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:
> > On the cycle paths, next to the River Clyde. Not on the road. Could a
> > dodgy plod come over and issue me a ticket?

> Absolutely not. You are not required by law to wear a cycling helmet
> anywhere in Britain, under any circumstances at all. If you are racing
> under UCI rules, then you are required to wear a helmet; but only by the
> UCI's rules, not by the law.

Thank you for your answer.

On 13 May, 15:27, [email protected] wrote:
> On the cycle paths, next to the River Clyde. Not on the road. Could a
> dodgy plod come over and issue me a ticket?
>
> Thanks.

Always a possibility -- certainly anything is possible. Police think
they are above the law and think they can do anything they like.

See my earlier post regarding my friend's incident with the police.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.../4e5f8de79fabb64e?q=legal+road+&lnk=ol&hl=en&

An absolute worse than a police-state situation, what a sham!

On 15 May, 18:01, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "MO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > See my earlier post regarding my friend's incident with the police.

> >http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/browse_thread/thread/...

> Got any more detail on your story? Eg what actually happened, have charges
> been brought, has a formal complaint been made?
>
> (being arrested is a PITA should you ever want to go to the US, due to their
> nonsense visa rules...)
>
> cheers,
> clive

Well released on bail for the time being. No doubt some or the other
charge will be cooked up in the nick of time.

"MO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 15 May, 18:01, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "MO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> > See my earlier post regarding my friend's incident with the police.

>> >http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/browse_thread/thread/...

>> Got any more detail on your story? Eg what actually happened, have
>> charges
>> been brought, has a formal complaint been made?
>>
>> (being arrested is a PITA should you ever want to go to the US, due to
>> their
>> nonsense visa rules...)

> Well released on bail for the time being. No doubt some or the other
> charge will be cooked up in the nick of time.

So no details of charges, no detail on what happened, no formal complaint
been made?

If your mate believes he's been hard done by, and it's obviously the police
being wrong-headed, why hasn't he started a complaint? Or are there other
reasons why not which you haven't mentioned?

cheers,
clive

On 15 May, 21:11, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "MO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On 15 May, 18:01, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> "MO" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >>news:[email protected]...

> >> Got any more detail on your story? Eg what actually happened, have
> >> charges
> >> been brought, has a formal complaint been made?

> >> (being arrested is a PITA should you ever want to go to the US, due to
> >> their
> >> nonsense visa rules...)

> > Well released on bail for the time being. No doubt some or the other
> > charge will be cooked up in the nick of time.

> So no details of charges, no detail on what happened, no formal complaint
> been made?
>
> If your mate believes he's been hard done by, and it's obviously the police
> being wrong-headed, why hasn't he started a complaint? Or are there other
> reasons why not which you haven't mentioned?
>
> cheers,
> clive

Clive,

no charges (interesting this one) as yet since I understand the case
is on bail.

Who to and when should complaints be made, IPCC?

As I say, no doubt the police will cook something else up to wiggle
out of the situation.

On 13 May 2007 07:27:23 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>On the cycle paths, next to the River Clyde. Not on the road. Could a
>dodgy plod come over and issue me a ticket?

Nah, but you're jest asking to be skelped by a baseball bat if ye do
wear one!