can you get knicked for speeding?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by The Oracle, Jun 17, 2003.

  1. The Oracle

    The Oracle Guest

    Hello, I am a beginner cyclist so thanks to everyone who has helped me - much appreciated.

    Seriously, can you get prosecuted for speeding on a bike? On the hills and that where I live there
    are certain streets where you can bomb down yet the limit is 30mph. Could the police really do you
    for this? Has anyone been flashed by speed cameras? Can't see how it would do any good since there
    is no license plate - however, if the old bill happened to be there when it flashed, well -things
    could get interesting....

    Steve

    Tags:

  2. Ian

    Ian Guest

    The Oracle must be edykated coz e writed:

    > Hello, I am a beginner cyclist so thanks to everyone who has helped me - much appreciated.
    >
    > Seriously, can you get prosecuted for speeding on a bike? On the hills and that where I live there
    > are certain streets where you can bomb down yet the limit is 30mph. Could the police really do you
    > for this? Has anyone been flashed by speed cameras? Can't see how it would do any good since there
    > is no license plate - however, if the old bill happened to be there when it flashed, well -things
    > could get interesting....
    >
    > Steve

    Technically yes, but in practice they tend not to be prepared to write it up, I was waved down after
    being recorded at 57mph on a hill that was rated at 40mph, he suggested I got a speedometer, so I
    did, I hit 60 briefly on the same hill the other week. heh heh

    Ian

  3. Niv

    Niv Guest

    I'm sure I read earlier in this NG that you couldn't be done for speeding on a push bike, but I have
    no proof either way. Any legal eagles out there wish to comment? Niv. "The Oracle"
    > Hello, I am a beginner cyclist so thanks to everyone who has helped me - much appreciated.
    >
    > Seriously, can you get prosecuted for speeding on a bike? On the hills
    and
    > that where I live there are certain streets where you can bomb down yet
    the
    > limit is 30mph. Could the police really do you for this? Has anyone been flashed by speed cameras?
    > Can't see how it would do any good since there
    is
    > no license plate - however, if the old bill happened to be there when it flashed, well -things
    > could get interesting....
    >
    > Steve

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "The Oracle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > can you get prosecuted for speeding on a bike?

    Technically no - you can't get done for speeding because speed limits apply only to motor vehicles.
    Speeding may be taken as evidence of another offence, though.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  5. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> writes
    >"The Oracle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >

    >> can you get prosecuted for speeding on a bike?
    >
    >Technically no - you can't get done for speeding because speed limits apply only to motor vehicles.
    >Speeding may be taken as evidence of another offence, though.

    Such as the wonderfully named 'Furious Cycling' or is it 'Cycling Furiously' ?
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  6. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:38:19 +0100, Ian <[email protected]> wrote: [Re speeding on a bicycle]

    > Technically yes, but in practice they tend not to be prepared to write it up, I was waved down
    > after being recorded at 57mph on a hill that was rated at 40mph, he suggested I got a speedometer,
    > so I did, I hit 60 briefly on the same hill the other week. heh heh

    Actually no. Speeding applies only to motorvehicles. However, your speed may be used as evidence of
    another offence.

    What sort of gearing do you have on your bike? Or what sort of hill? Or what sort of bike?

    With 48x13 gearing on a 1:10 on a DF my top speed was 49.9mph and this was the limit due to spinning
    out - I was going for the 50 but just couldn't make it. (I think this was a cadence of about 170 I
    managed to keep it at
    49.9 for about 10-15 seconds (I think) so I don't think this was lack of power) (I still haven't
    achieved the 50 either and I'm not sure I still have the courage/recklessness to attempt to pedal
    that fast at those sorts of speeds. The handling was "interesting" until I gave up pedalling and
    started to coast)

    I reckon the hill would have to be at least twice as steep in order for me to get to 60mph (although
    I have now got a 52T so my spinout speed should be around 54mph assuming that 170 is still my
    maximum cadence)

    OTOH, I have reached 40mph coasting on the Windcheetah on hills that would need hard pedalling to
    reach 40mph on the DF. I just haven't (yet) had the combination of the confidence to really push it
    and the hill to take advantage of to see whether 50+ coasting is "easy" on a recumbent.

    Regards,

    Tim.

  7. "The Oracle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Hello, I am a beginner cyclist so thanks to everyone who has helped me - much appreciated.
    >
    > Seriously, can you get prosecuted for speeding on a bike? On the hills
    and
    > that where I live there are certain streets where you can bomb down yet
    the
    > limit is 30mph...

    If you really are a "beginner" then you would be doing pretty well to be doing that much over 30. I
    remember getting a digital speedo a few years ago when I got my first road bike, and was
    dissapointed to find that the hill I thought I was "bombing" down was only being taken at about
    38mph, and that felt *very* fast at the time!

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:BB15028B.5F85%[email protected], Ian <[email protected]> typed:
    > Technically yes, but in practice they tend not to be prepared to write it up,

    .....is the wrong answer. As discussed here many times with references to the relevant Act there is
    no offence of speeding for a bicycle. The Act in which the offence of speeding is defined is limited
    to motor vehicles only.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    The Oracle wrote:
    > Seriously, can you get prosecuted for speeding on a bike?

    No, but I wonder how many police officers realise that? I'm dreading the day I get pulled over and
    have to try and explain that no law has been broken.

    ~PB

  10. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Pete Biggs must be edykated coz e writed:

    > The Oracle wrote:
    >> Seriously, can you get prosecuted for speeding on a bike?
    >
    > No, but I wonder how many police officers realise that? I'm dreading the day I get pulled over and
    > have to try and explain that no law has been broken.
    >
    > ~PB

    Actually I think the offence is something like dangerous riding, stems from some old law like
    furious pedalling or the like.

    Ian

  11. "The Oracle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, I am a beginner cyclist so thanks to everyone who has helped me - much appreciated.
    >
    > Seriously, can you get prosecuted for speeding on a bike? On the hills
    and
    > that where I live there are certain streets where you can bomb down yet
    the
    > limit is 30mph. Could the police really do you for this? Has anyone been flashed by speed cameras?
    > Can't see how it would do any good since there
    is
    > no license plate - however, if the old bill happened to be there when it flashed, well -things
    > could get interesting....

    Speed limits only apply to motor vehicles. However, I would suggest that any cyclist breaking a
    speed limit would be an idiot (more so than a speeding motorist, who is going to be better off when
    it goes wrong than a speeding cyclist in the same circumstances)

  12. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Tim Woodall must be edykated coz e writed:

    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:38:19 +0100, Ian <[email protected]> wrote: [Re speeding on a bicycle]
    >>>
    >> Technically yes, but in practice they tend not to be prepared to write it up, I was waved down
    >> after being recorded at 57mph on a hill that was rated at 40mph, he suggested I got a
    >> speedometer, so I did, I hit 60 briefly on the same hill the other week. heh heh
    >>
    > Actually no. Speeding applies only to motorvehicles. However, your speed may be used as evidence
    > of another offence.
    >
    > What sort of gearing do you have on your bike? Or what sort of hill? Or what sort of bike?
    >
    > With 48x13 gearing on a 1:10 on a DF my top speed was 49.9mph and this was the limit due to
    > spinning out - I was going for the 50 but just couldn't make it. (I think this was a cadence of
    > about 170 I managed to keep it at
    > 49.9 for about 10-15 seconds (I think) so I don't think this was lack of power) (I still haven't
    > achieved the 50 either and I'm not sure I still have the courage/recklessness to attempt to
    > pedal that fast at those sorts of speeds. The handling was "interesting" until I gave up
    > pedalling and started to coast)
    >
    > I reckon the hill would have to be at least twice as steep in order for me to get to 60mph
    > (although I have now got a 52T so my spinout speed should be around 54mph assuming that 170 is
    > still my maximum cadence)
    >
    > OTOH, I have reached 40mph coasting on the Windcheetah on hills that would need hard pedalling to
    > reach 40mph on the DF. I just haven't (yet) had the combination of the confidence to really push
    > it and the hill to take advantage of to see whether 50+ coasting is "easy" on a recumbent.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Tim.
    Faired bent, in top pedalling hard to spin out, unfortunately the screen was just on loan to see if
    I liked it, has gone back to my mate now, my swb was very twitchy at that speed, I don't think the
    extra weight of the screen over the front helped, but then the speed would have been impossible
    without it, plus there is a bumpy section near the bottom of the hill, if you hit this at anything
    over 45 it becomes a brown pants experience, without the screen I can squeeze up to 50, maybe 55
    down hill, and a very short burst on the flat will see 45, I can average 20 over a 50 mile run, but
    I can forget about my bad knee supporting me after about 30 miles, the screen adds about 3mph to the
    average on the flat but is bloody hot on a sunny day, great to keep dry with in the rain and scary
    in cross winds, I'm undecided on the practicality of a screen out here in the wilds of Kent, if I
    was in London I would use one in the winter.

    Ian

  13. >>> can you get prosecuted for speeding on a bike?

    >>Technically no - you can't get done for speeding because speed limits apply only to motor
    >>vehicles. Speeding may be taken as evidence of another offence, though.
    >>
    >Such as the wonderfully named 'Furious Cycling' or is it 'Cycling Furiously' ?
    >--
    Riding without due care and attention? Reckless endangerment?

    I myself once bombed through some small Irish town (Castletown Bearhaven?) at aprox. 40mph (there
    was this hill, and another one coming up...); can't recall the speed limit, but it was clearly in
    excess of a "safe and prudent speed" !

    Mark van Gorkom.

    P.S.: plenty of 30 kph zones around here: no problem at all. The general speed limit in build up
    area's is 50kph: still no great problem for the fitter riders (or those lucky enough to have a
    streamlined velomobile)

    P.P. we've got a few officers on MTB's around here, must admit I wouldn't mind giving them a chase
    on the Baron, exept they do have radio's...

  14. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB151E74.5FB9%[email protected]...
    > Pete Biggs must be edykated coz e writed:
    >
    > > The Oracle wrote:
    > >> Seriously, can you get prosecuted for speeding on a bike?
    > >
    > > No, but I wonder how many police officers realise that? I'm dreading
    the
    > > day I get pulled over and have to try and explain that no law has been broken.
    > >
    > > ~PB
    > >

    > Actually I think the offence is something like dangerous riding, stems
    from
    > some old law like furious pedalling or the like.
    >
    > Ian

    Can't help feeling this is severly flawed in the subjectivity stakes....

    Officer : I'm arresting you for pedalling furiously sir! Cyclist : But I wasn't cycling furiously
    officer. It was merely cycling rather aggressively... Officer: I'm sure it was furiously sir..my
    colleague witnessed it.... Officers colleague: yup, looked furious to me sir. Cyclist : Not at all
    officers. I can demonstrate cycling furiously if you like, but it'll have to be on private land.....
    Officer: Never mind that sir...quick, get 'im Rog, before 'e get's away!! <truncheons drawn>
    Officers approach cyclist in a threatening yet public spirited manner and prevent further danger to
    the general public.

    Know what I mean ?...!!?

    Dave.

  15. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Dave must be edykated coz e writed:

    > Can't help feeling this is severly flawed in the subjectivity stakes....
    >
    > Officer : I'm arresting you for pedalling furiously sir! Cyclist : But I wasn't cycling furiously
    > officer. It was merely cycling rather aggressively... Officer: I'm sure it was furiously sir..my
    > colleague witnessed it.... Officers colleague: yup, looked furious to me sir. Cyclist : Not at all
    > officers. I can demonstrate cycling furiously if you like, but it'll have to be on private
    > land..... Officer: Never mind that sir...quick, get 'im Rog, before 'e get's away!! <truncheons
    > drawn> Officers approach cyclist in a threatening yet public spirited manner and prevent further
    > danger to the general public.
    >
    > Know what I mean ?...!!?
    >
    > Dave.

    ROFLMAO

  16. On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:26:52 +0100, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB151E74.5FB9%[email protected]...
    >> Pete Biggs must be edykated coz e writed:

    >> > No, but I wonder how many police officers realise that? I'm dreading
    >the
    >> > day I get pulled over and have to try and explain that no law has been broken.
    >> >
    >> > ~PB
    >> >

    >> Actually I think the offence is something like dangerous riding, stems
    >from
    >> some old law like furious pedalling or the like.
    >>
    >> Ian
    >>
    >Can't help feeling this is severly flawed in the subjectivity stakes....
    >
    >Officer : I'm arresting you for pedalling furiously sir! Cyclist : But I wasn't cycling furiously
    >officer. It was merely cycling rather aggressively... Officer: I'm sure it was furiously sir..my
    >colleague witnessed it.... Officers colleague: yup, looked furious to me sir. Cyclist : Not at all
    >officers. I can demonstrate cycling furiously if you like, but it'll have to be on private
    >land..... Officer: Never mind that sir...quick, get 'im Rog, before 'e get's away!! <truncheons
    >drawn> Officers approach cyclist in a threatening yet public spirited manner and prevent further
    >danger to the general public.
    >
    >Know what I mean ?...!!?
    >
    >Dave.

    Our (late) club president was once charged with failing to come to a stop at a stop sign. The cops
    said he had not put his foot down, so had not stopped.

    Pres pleaded not guilty and turned up at court complete with his fixed wheel bike. He was devasted
    when the case was dismissed before he could demonstrate that a track-stand involved stopping without
    putting your foot down!

    BTW he was one of the few guys I've known who could go backwards on a fixed.

    Regards! Stephen

  17. The Oracle

    The Oracle Guest

    Crikey ! 57mph on a bike? Jeez....

    "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB15028B.5F85%[email protected]...
    > The Oracle must be edykated coz e writed:
    >
    > > Hello, I am a beginner cyclist so thanks to everyone who has helped me - much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Seriously, can you get prosecuted for speeding on a bike? On the hills
    and
    > > that where I live there are certain streets where you can bomb down yet
    the
    > > limit is 30mph. Could the police really do you for this? Has anyone
    been
    > > flashed by speed cameras? Can't see how it would do any good since
    there is
    > > no license plate - however, if the old bill happened to be there when it flashed, well -things
    > > could get interesting....
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >

    > Technically yes, but in practice they tend not to be prepared to write it up, I was waved down
    > after being recorded at 57mph on a hill that was
    rated
    > at 40mph, he suggested I got a speedometer, so I did, I hit 60 briefly on the same hill the other
    > week. heh heh
    >
    > Ian

  18. The Oracle

    The Oracle Guest

    I probably don't go that fast. There are a few steep ones though and me being fifteen stone down a
    25% gradient. Hmm, I bet I'm getting a good old bat on.

    "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "The Oracle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > Hello, I am a beginner cyclist so thanks to everyone who has helped me - much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Seriously, can you get prosecuted for speeding on a bike? On the hills
    > and
    > > that where I live there are certain streets where you can bomb down yet
    > the
    > > limit is 30mph...
    >
    > If you really are a "beginner" then you would be doing pretty well to be doing that much over
    > 30. I remember getting a digital speedo a few years ago when I got my first road bike, and was
    > dissapointed to find that the hill I thought I was "bombing" down was only being taken at
    > about 38mph,
    and
    > that felt *very* fast at the time!

  19. The Oracle

    The Oracle Guest

    Nice one Dave !! typical of thge Police too. Rather than spending there time on vandals and drug
    dealers, they'd rather go for soft targets like us.

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB151E74.5FB9%[email protected]...
    > > Pete Biggs must be edykated coz e writed:

    > > > No, but I wonder how many police officers realise that? I'm dreading
    > the
    > > > day I get pulled over and have to try and explain that no law has been broken.
    > > >
    > > > ~PB
    > > >

    > > Actually I think the offence is something like dangerous riding, stems
    > from
    > > some old law like furious pedalling or the like.
    > >
    > > Ian
    > >
    > Can't help feeling this is severly flawed in the subjectivity stakes....
    >
    > Officer : I'm arresting you for pedalling furiously sir! Cyclist : But I wasn't cycling furiously
    > officer. It was merely cycling rather aggressively... Officer: I'm sure it was furiously sir..my
    > colleague witnessed it.... Officers colleague: yup, looked furious to me sir. Cyclist : Not at all
    > officers. I can demonstrate cycling furiously if you like, but it'll have to be on private
    > land..... Officer: Never mind that sir...quick, get 'im Rog, before 'e get's away!! <truncheons
    > drawn> Officers approach cyclist in a threatening yet public spirited manner and prevent further
    > danger to the general public.
    >
    > Know what I mean ?...!!?
    >
    > Dave.

  20. Congokid