can you get knicked for speeding?

> I'm just selecting a different set of laws from you and using reductio to demonstrate the folly of
> your premise that you can selectively ignore laws that are personally inconvenient and not
> dangerous. Field day for
burglars
> who can now justify their ignoring property laws on the basis of their personal convenience
> providing they do not hurt anyone.

Ultimately because we have 'free will' following all laws comes down to a matter of personal choice.
Neither does the law define right or wrong - that is more a question of morality. The only question
for society, rather than the individual, is where it is going to put enforcement, and what it does
to offenders when caught. And on that I would rather see the enforcement and penalties put in a
manner that is proportionate to the seriousness of the offence. I wouldn't wish to live in a society
that even attempted to acheive 100% enforcement of 100% of laws all the time because that would
inevitably be oppressive. So I don't necessarily condemn red light jumping cyclists, although I do
acknowledge that if done without due care can cause danger and inconvenience to themselves and
others, and for that matter I don't necessarily condemn motorists who exceed speed limits by modest
margins either, although I do acknowledge that if done without due care can cause danger and
inconvenience to themselves and others. What I am more interested in is the care than the fact.

Rich

In news:[email protected], Richard Goodman <[email protected]> typed:

> Ultimately because we have 'free will' following all laws comes down to a matter of personal
> choice. Neither does the law define right or wrong - that is more a question of morality. The only
> question for society, rather than the individual, is where it is going to put enforcement, and
> what it does to offenders when caught. And on that I would rather see the enforcement and
> penalties put in a manner that is proportionate to the seriousness of the offence. I wouldn't wish
> to live in a society that even attempted to acheive 100% enforcement of 100% of laws all the time
> because that would inevitably be oppressive. So I don't necessarily condemn red light jumping
> cyclists, although I do acknowledge that if done without due care can cause danger and
> inconvenience to themselves and others, and for that matter I don't necessarily condemn motorists
> who exceed speed limits by modest margins either, although I do acknowledge that if done without
> due care can cause danger and inconvenience to themselves and others. What I am more interested in
> is the care than the fact.

I can live with that. It is worth noting as an aside that the New York zero tolerance programme
showed you can reduce the serious offences by cracking down on the small stuff.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:23:38 +0100, "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>But you shouldn't hit them in the first place - hence speed limits.

I don't.

I have to admit I used to be a totally stupid driver. As I've grown older - not necessarily wiser -
and no longer drive, I've come to belive that road signs of any sort are there to be obeyed, whether
or not I like what they're ordering me to do.

James

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:08:02 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>1998-2001: total number of peds killed by cyclists: 1. Right up there with land yachts, by the
>looks of it.
>
>In truth I suspect that rates of death from all these causes are statistically zero and any single
>incident can only be regarded as a freak occurrence.

Sadly for the kiting fraternity, most councils haven't treated the recent (ish) land yacht death as
a freak occurrence. IIRC, the lady who was killed walked into the area where the race was going on.

I'm guessing here but I suppose her mind was working in the same way as some motorists' minds when
confronted by a bike: "It's a bike / land yacht; it can't be going very fast."

James

> In article <BB15028B.5F85%[email protected]>, Ian <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Technically yes, but in practice they tend not to be prepared to write it up, I was waved down
>>after being recorded at 57mph on a hill that was rated at 40mph, he suggested I got a speedometer,
>>so I did, I hit 60 briefly on the same hill the other week. heh heh
>

> So, you wear motorcycle leathers when cycling do you?

Do any racing cyclists wear them? Seen what speeds the tdF gets up to down the cols?

I wear a leather jacket on the motorbike doing 40-60km/hr in city traffic.

I wear lycra on a mountainbike doing 30-50km/hr in city traffic.

84.3km/hr is the fastest my bike speedo has told me I was ever going.

> Phil

Adrian

Adrian Tritschler mailto:[email protected] Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E,
Altitude 50m, Shoe size 44

Adrian Tritschler <[email protected]> wrote:
:>
:> So, you wear motorcycle leathers when cycling do you?

: Do any racing cyclists wear them? Seen what speeds the tdF gets up to down the cols?

No. While it might be sensible to wear them on the way down you'd overheat waaaaaaaay too much on
the way up.

I've done approaching 60mph on a cycle before now, and when the "but what if you fall off" thought
popped up, I jumped on its head till it went away again :)

Arthur

Lord Lester

"The Oracle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello, I am a beginner cyclist so thanks to everyone who has helped me - much appreciated.
>
> Seriously, can you get prosecuted for speeding on a bike? On the hills
and
> that where I live there are certain streets where you can bomb down yet
the
> limit is 30mph. Could the police really do you for this? Has anyone been flashed by speed cameras?
> Can't see how it would do any good since there
is

http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/14/article14.html