Can you get the same health benefits from riding a stationary bike

I suppose that you can in theory. I mean there is obviously a reason why so many gyms have them. Pedal hard enough for long enough, and you might actually burn off one or two hundred calories.

The thing is that I've personally noticed I always get a way better workout when riding outside. Maybe it's the resistance level and incline of certain roads, but I simply feel like I get winded far faster on an actual bike, on an actual road, compared to a stationary bike.

Stationary bikes are good for rainy days, but that's about it. In my opinion, anyway.

Reactions: svejorange
I don't think that they have the same benefits. Because riding a bike outdoors is a lot better than a stationary bike this is because it's natural and you'll feel the momentum and speed of the bike against your surroundings, unlike when you're on a stationary bike which you have to pedal inbfoors, I had one before and it's so boring to use. Although in cases in which biking is impeded by bad weather like snow and rains, an indoor track would be the next viable place to do your cycling, if you don't have access to one then just go to a gym with lots of cycling machines to choose from because it's so boring if you do that at home.

Aslong as you do the same amount of intensity as with outdoor riding, then it should just be the same because you work out the same muscle groups.

“I’ve lost 30 pounds. I don’t feel pain in my knees anymore, and I am able to play golf again, which I couldn’t do when I was running,” he says.

This is good and I am sure that it is going to be beneficial to you and one thing that is nice as well is that you get to be fitter as the day goes by as well.

Yes of course, it's still cycling right in the comfort of your home safe at the same time free from pollution outside. I remember my cousin having a stationary bike at home and we used to take turns ever 15 minutes and we use fan as well. This is what we used to do after breakfast. I just miss cycling hope I could fit it in my schedule, I've been really busy this past few months. yay!

Yep. I completely agree with this guy. Stationary bike is only for rainy days. Why would you ever ride stationary?

I don't think that they have the same benefits. Because riding a bike outdoors is a lot better than a stationary bike this is because it's natural and you'll feel the momentum and speed of the bike against your surroundings, unlike when you're on a stationary bike which you have to pedal inbfoors, I had one before and it's so boring to use. Although in cases in which biking is impeded by bad weather like snow and rains, an indoor track would be the next viable place to do your cycling, if you don't have access to one then just go to a gym with lots of cycling machines to choose from because it's so boring if you do that at home.
There are definitely added benefits for biking outdoors, especially when you ride somewhere with fresh air and beautiful surroundings, but essentially the same muscle groups are worked out and you can adjust the settings on stationary bike to make it simulate harder conditions, so in terms of a workout, it also does a good job.

I feel uneasy riding a stationary exercise bike. My legs get stiff just after a few minutes, I think it's because it doesn't allow me to have the right angle when pedalling because it's solid stiff. Unlike regular biking you can shift and angle your weight from side to side.

Yep. I completely agree with this guy. Stationary bike is only for rainy days. Why would you ever ride stationary?

It is all about choices that we make in life. To me, I don't see anything wrong with riding such bikes as long as the person gets fun from it.

Yes, definitely. The fact that we use the same muscles and same movement of our lower body, the work done is the same as riding on an actual bicycle.

This two are both great calorie burners. This is good way of building stamina and muscle strength. Both have its own advantages and disadvantages.

Advantage of Cycling outdoors
1. The vitamin D. We all know that the source of Vitamin D is the sun. So, it would be good to go cycling in the morning.
2. The fresh air. Indoors doesn't offer fresh air unlike when you are outside even if you have good ventilation. Fresh air can significantly improve our cardiovascular and respiratory system.
3. The scenery. I guess this is a bonus. Beautiful views and connection with nature has a way of rejuvenating us.

Advantages of indoor cycling
1. Avoid bad weather. This is the reason why some people prefer indoor cycling to avoid the bad weather.
2. Safer. You won't have a problem with overspeeding cars.
3. Practical. You can do it anytime you want.

Hey there! I get it, exploring new trails is awesome. But let's not forget the importance of being prepared. Lack of skill or knowledge can lead to some serious troubles out there. Safety first, my friend! Keep up the love for mountain biking and stay safe on those trails.