Can you help ID these pedals!???

Fourlegsgood2wheelsbad

Jul 27, 2022
Hello Forum .

New here , I am in need of help to identify these pedals. Have been absent from cycling for decades , there was no web when I was last involved. Had bought this MTB pedal set back in the early 90's for my wife's MTB. Cannot see the brand name on them .

They are in good mechanical condition , cleaned them up a little.
Played with the tension allen screw a little , too experiment with the release.

However the cleat on my shoe does not engage. I though these old shoes of mine would work with these pedals.
I though the shoe had a "SPD" style cleat . These old MTB shoes of mine I expected to clip right in to these pedals.
See pic. Cleat , shoe is 2 hole design. Cleat looks like it could fit but does not , only front engages however hard I try and stomp into them.

I would like to keep using this pedal .
Can you suggest what pedal I ran before that fits this cleat and shoe combo in pic?
Is what I ran in 93 before I stopped cycling ,road and trail.

Am happy to buy a new pair of MTB shoes to use with this pedal . For the cost of a cleat and hardware , is 1/3 of cost of a new shoe. Just need to positive ID. so I order the right shoe cleat to fit.

Thanks fellow cyclist.
Fourlegsgoodtwowheelsbad

Attachments

• F14078F6-D0A9-498D-8F54-4FA94693ED2C.jpeg
    F14078F6-D0A9-498D-8F54-4FA94693ED2C.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 711E3686-A78D-453E-B6B4-3553A7E4018D.jpeg
    711E3686-A78D-453E-B6B4-3553A7E4018D.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 24
I wonder if the pedals are for Shimano sm 51. The cleats look a bit different than those you have on the shoe. In shape.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220821-151016_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220821-151016_Chrome.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 25
I may try on of those. I got frustrated and just ordered the Shimano PDM 520 , comes with cleats.

Hadn't figured out the old pedal make or style yet. The shoes are decades old but should be adequate.

I will try those SH -51 cleat. Such a shame . Nearly new pedal cant ID. I though I could find a pedal that looks like it might take the cleat. Since so few on the forum , going to take a while to sort out.

Any forums more popular, and get quicker responses ? I though silly to buy new pedal when all i need is a cleat. the pedal appear dual release.

MR BEANZ. I OWE YOU MUCH THANKS .
TheSH-51 Cleat worked perfect and I can hardly believe it. And was about $4.00!
Still not sure what brand pedal I'm using still , but not important. The cleat snaps securely and has the dual release , and I am just happy enough to cry! Has some float. Love the easy in -out compared to the Look design (3 bolt cleat )pedals on my road bike .

I sent back the MTB Shimano pedals NIB,( I ordered in case this didn't pan out.) that came with cleats.
Am using my old specialized MTB shoes that lace and velcro. ( 1990ish) with the old pedals.

Looks like was a decent shoe back then .
About 400grams per shoe with cleat . Actual leather in places!

Pedals look good, the shoes feel good.
They seem to remember me. Was hauling boooty on test run.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• AB86B791-FEC7-41AB-97F1-3E1735DD201F.jpeg
    AB86B791-FEC7-41AB-97F1-3E1735DD201F.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Mr. Beanz
MR BEANZ. I OWE YOU MUCH THANKS .
TheSH-51 Cleat worked perfect and I can hardly believe it. And was about $4.00!
Still not sure what brand pedal I'm using still , but not important. The cleat snaps securely and has the dual release , and I am just happy enough to cry! Has some float. Love the easy in -out compared to the Look design (3 bolt cleat )pedals on my road bike .

I sent back the MTB Shimano pedals NIB,( I ordered in case this didn't pan out.) that came with cleats.
Am using my old specialized MTB shoes that lace and velcro. ( 1990ish) with the old pedals.

Looks like was a decent shoe back then .
About 400grams per shoe with cleat . Actual leather in places!

Pedals look good, the shoes feel good.
They seem to remember me. Was hauling boooty on test run.

Thanks again.
Nice, glad I could help. I use spd on all my bikes so I guess I'm a little familiar with the look.

I was spinning up a slight grade in the HWY and the right side came un-clicked for no apparent reason , load or twist motion. May have to tighten the adjustment ( on both sides of pedal) and experiment.
Had earlier noted that I thought they had some float . They do not .

Have seen threads advising against what I am doing, just using what "works" not what is designed intended. Yes the SH-51 cleat seem work quite well. It had released only that time . Again was on near flat terrain and spinning fairly high cadence 180+

I also received yesterday a set of regular SPD cleats from amazon , and had not tried them on this pedal ( which I still have not ID'd) Now complicates in that the new SPD cleat looks very similar to the SH-51 cleat , but there are clearly machining differences. So I may bolt them on and try.

If one has SPD , is that system dual release ? I would expect based on the cleat design looks to release either way. But the popular Shimano pedal I just bought and sent back (Shimano PDM-520)
spec says single release. When I think of single release I think of the 3 hole look style cleat like look design . Input please regarding the difference. It's been a while.

I was spinning up a slight grade in the HWY and the right side came un-clicked for no apparent reason , load or twist motion. May have to tighten the adjustment ( on both sides of pedal) and experiment.
Had earlier noted that I thought they had some float . They do not .

Have seen threads advising against what I am doing, just using what "works" not what is designed intended. Yes the SH-51 cleat seem work quite well. It had released only that time . Again was on near flat terrain and spinning fairly high cadence 180+

I also received yesterday a set of regular SPD cleats from amazon , and had not tried them on this pedal ( which I still have not ID'd) Now complicates in that the new SPD cleat looks very similar to the SH-51 cleat , but there are clearly machining differences. So I may bolt them on and try.

If one has SPD , is that system dual release ? I would expect based on the cleat design looks to release either way. But the popular Shimano pedal I just bought and sent back (Shimano PDM-520)
spec says single release. When I think of single release I think of the 3 hole look style cleat like look design . Input please regarding the difference. It's been a while.
There are different release designs on the spd.
One is twist out by rotating ankle. The kind I've had for 25 years.
The other kind, also Shimano, is the raise the heal to release style.
Never tried those and never will as I'm used to the rotating type.
Hope you got the rotating type. You might want to double check on what you bought.
I do believe mine have 5 degrees float.
Yes, I have had to set the tension on my pedals. Don't set tight though. Just enough to engage is my preference.

It does release by rotating foot /pedal either way . Good advise to not over tighten!

Had been working on my road stands and needed a quick save . Popped out in time to stab foot down. Whew. !

I had not been aware of the system you describe of heel lifting to release . Will need a good YT video to get up to speed learning wise.

I think found reason the right side pedal -shoe released during a ride .

Right side may need a tad rotation in CW direction ( looking from top) Could have just popped out being right on verge of release with cleat angle. (?).

Still yet to install and see how it goes. Had not done any steep climbing yet with the pedal - shoe combo. However did stomp out a handful of robust sprints in the flats . I felt 30 years old for very glorious short time.

somehow there were no dogs chasing me that night. The hybrid had not ever been rode that fast.