Can you hire Road Bikes

Darren

Guest
A friend wants to go in a triathlon, and wants to hire a road bike in
Brisbane.
Has anyone heard of anyone that will hire a road bike?

Secondly, can she use a MTB, as I can give her mine, but I am not to keen to
give her my road bike.

Does it look strange to use a MTB in a triathlon ?

Darren wrote:
> Secondly, can she use a MTB, as I can give her mine, but I am not to keen to
> give her my road bike.
>
> Does it look strange to use a MTB in a triathlon ?

The longer the distance the more strange it looks. But in the shorter
beginner tri's eg. 300m swim, 10km ride, 2km run I saw nearly 50% MTB's
in some races. Generally saw a few in the next distance 750/20/5, but
I'll be amazed if I see any at the Olympic distance this weekend. Who
cares what the bike is, I did my entire first season on an MTB, and it
was a piece of ****. It's all about gettign out there and havign some
fun (okay Dutch insert comment here that runnign cannot be fun).

DaveB "trained, tapered, ready for the weekend"

"DaveB" <[email protected]
> Darren wrote:
>> Secondly, can she use a MTB, as I can give her mine, but I am not to keen
>> to give her my road bike.
>>
>> Does it look strange to use a MTB in a triathlon ?

> The longer the distance the more strange it looks. But in the shorter
> beginner tri's eg. 300m swim, 10km ride, 2km run I saw nearly 50% MTB's in
> some races. Generally saw a few in the next distance 750/20/5, but I'll be
> amazed if I see any at the Olympic distance this weekend. Who cares what
> the bike is, I did my entire first season on an MTB, and it was a piece of
> ****. It's all about gettign out there and havign some fun (okay Dutch
> insert comment here that runnign cannot be fun).

I agree with the D-Man.. I used an mtb in a bunch of short
sprint tri's. It's the engine that counts not the bike. Running
isn't fun.. but tri's are fun.. short ones anyway :)
Put some slicks on it if you want to do her a favour..

hippy

"DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Darren wrote:
> > Secondly, can she use a MTB, as I can give her mine, but I am not to

keen to
> > give her my road bike.
> >
> > Does it look strange to use a MTB in a triathlon ?
> >

> The longer the distance the more strange it looks. But in the shorter
> beginner tri's eg. 300m swim, 10km ride, 2km run I saw nearly 50% MTB's
> in some races. Generally saw a few in the next distance 750/20/5, but
> I'll be amazed if I see any at the Olympic distance this weekend. Who
> cares what the bike is, I did my entire first season on an MTB, and it
> was a piece of ****. It's all about gettign out there and havign some
> fun (okay Dutch insert comment here that runnign cannot be fun).
>
> DaveB "trained, tapered, ready for the weekend"

I'm sure I saw a guy at the Busselton ironman, and it wasn't the guy on the
folding bike.
Mountain bikes with tri bars on are really comfortable. They seem to be just
the right shape and the forks make the ride really smooth. Just pump up the
tyres to their maximum rating and you'll be fine.

Marty

Marty Wallace said:
"DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Darren wrote:
> > Secondly, can she use a MTB, as I can give her mine, but I am not to

keen to
> > give her my road bike.
> >
> > Does it look strange to use a MTB in a triathlon ?
> >

> The longer the distance the more strange it looks. But in the shorter
> beginner tri's eg. 300m swim, 10km ride, 2km run I saw nearly 50% MTB's
> in some races. Generally saw a few in the next distance 750/20/5, but
> I'll be amazed if I see any at the Olympic distance this weekend. Who
> cares what the bike is, I did my entire first season on an MTB, and it
> was a piece of ****. It's all about gettign out there and havign some
> fun (okay Dutch insert comment here that runnign cannot be fun).
>
> DaveB "trained, tapered, ready for the weekend"

I'm sure I saw a guy at the Busselton ironman, and it wasn't the guy on the
folding bike.
Mountain bikes with tri bars on are really comfortable. They seem to be just
the right shape and the forks make the ride really smooth. Just pump up the
tyres to their maximum rating and you'll be fine.

Marty

I know for sure that I saw a couple of riders at the Canberra half-IM riding mtbs with aero bars. It was a hilly course though, so the penalty (such as it is) would be lower. I felt sorry for the bloke riding a flash bit of carbon with disk wheels riding up the first hill at 30rpm in his granny gear (probably 42/21)... he was in for a loooong day. I'll take smart gearing over a flash bike any day of the week.

Ritch