Can you make it to the market on a bike?

> No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
> the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as
> walking.
> Make an informed choice - visitwww.cyclehelmets.org.

Except the fact that your going a lot faster with a lot less
control....

On Aug 2, 5:50 pm, Wayne Pein <[email protected]> wrote:
> > donquijote1954 wrote:

> >> Letting bikes loose out on the roads can be dangerous. Better channel
> >> them through bike lanes.

> I think letting you loose out of your cell would be dangerous.

Sorry, cell phones are mostly dangerous when driving an SUV.

On Aug 2, 6:09 pm, Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:

> As I don't live in the USA, I

Maybe that's why you don't understand what's going on here. Slower
vehicles don't have to drive on the right at all, nor should drivers
pay be paying attention to driving, simply you get these SUV behemoths
whistling past you that leave you shaking in your commitment to ride
anymore.

> It is my opinion, and that of a great many cyclists that
> cycles should be on the main road, not segregated and
> pushed onto poor facilities.

Why do they have to be poor?

> > I'm simply not going to let you people get away with this garbage.
> > It is completely dishonest.

> What is dishonest is promoting second class cycling
> facilities as a good idea.-

Are you actually saying that Holland is a very discriminatory country?
They got something like 20,000km of bike lanes and seem pretty
democratic to me. Actually they are much more democratic than those
places where SUVs and rule the roads.

On Aug 2, 6:33 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Aug 2, 2:37 pm, [email protected] (Bill Z.) wrote:
>

> > I've been passed while driving by a speeding vehicle that decided to
> > use a bike lane to get by, even though there was no on-coming traffic
> > and the road was completely straight. You can always find some idiot
> > on the road who is competely irresponsible. What else is new? It
> > simply has nothing to do with bike lanes - they'll do something
> > incredibly stupid regardless.

> You don't seem to realize that the incident you describe argues
> against the common pro-bike lane idea - "If only I could be separated
> from cars by a white line, I'd be safe."
>
> In the real world, the white stripe does not protect you. It merely
> shows where the glass and gravel begin.

Don't be such a pessimist. Our cities don't have to be like Mexico.
And you can have lots of people to go out and try a new sport. The
chihuahua says, "Amigo, I want bike lanes!"

Bill Z. wrote:

> Wayne Pein <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>Bill Z. wrote:

>>>.... which is just what you do in the bike lane case - when riding
>>>at less than the normal speed of traffic you will be nominally
>>>14 feet from the adjacent traffic-lane's stripe, which puts you
>>>a couple of feet inside the bike lane.

>>YOU may ride 2' from edge of pavement, and others may ride 2' from
>>edge of pavement, but it is not good practice. I don't ride 2' from
>>edge of pavement.

> Wayne, stop lying (you misquote me so consistently that lying is the
> only explanation): I talked about riding 14' from the lane stripe
> (on the left) of the adjacent traffic lane, which puts you a couple
> of feet inside the bike lane. You know, two feet from the bike lane
> stripe, which can be quite far from the curb.

Are you a moron?

In a 16' lane, 14' from the lane stripe is 2' from the edge of pavement.

>>If you are less than 12 feet
>>
>>>from that lane divider (which puts you just outside the bike lane)
>>>you should be going as fast as traffic unless avoiding some specific
>>>hazard (which the bike lane rules allow).

>>Not me. I typically ride 4' from edge of pavement no matter what my
>>speed is.

> More dishonesty from Pein - given the minimum bike lane width, 4'
> from the edge of the pavement is not outside of the bike lane.

You are a moron.

>>>The California Vehicle Code forbids lateral movement on a roadway
>>>unless such a movement can be made with reasonable safety. If you
>>>were going slower than traffic and then decide to move left, you
>>>do not have squatters rights, lane stripe or not.

>>I don't care about the CVC.

> If you don't care about traffic laws, or at least make a reasonable
> effort to obey them, then do all of us a favor by not riding a bike
> and not driving a car.

Moron. I don't live in CA so I don't care about the CVC!

Wayne

Bill Z. wrote:
> Wayne Pein <[email protected]> writes:

>>Folks, Frank Krygowski actually rides a bike, knows what he is talking
>>about, and is a straight shooter. I point to bicyclinglife.com for
>>many writings of Frank. Bill Zauman is a fruit cake.

> Krygowski may or may not sometimes know what he talks about, but he is
> one of the most dishonest posters on usenet. I've had quite a few
> "discussions" with him.

Zauman, from my current "discussion" with you, I conclude that you are a
moron. I've had numerous discussions with Frank, and he doesn't
misinterpret me like you do, or distort what I say, or say anything
dishonest. Over the years I've read hundreds of his posts on usenet and
have never read anything dishonest. You are a fruit cake. You need
professional help.

Wayne

On Aug 3, 10:16 am, donquijote1954 <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Aug 2, 6:09 pm, Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > As I don't live in the USA, I

> Maybe that's why you don't understand what's going on here. Slower
> vehicles don't have to drive on the right at all, nor should drivers
> pay be paying attention to driving, simply you get these SUV behemoths
> whistling past you that leave you shaking in your commitment to ride
> anymore.

What?? Please explain what you mean by saying,'nor should drivers pay
be paying attention to driving.' Because most drivers (in the US) I
see are paying attention to the road.

I ride most days along side SUV behemoths here in Texas and they've
not put me or any of my friends off riding. Maybe it's how you ride
that's causing you too many close encounters with other road users.

Bill Z. wrote:

> As I suggested to you people previously, show what is bad in the Caltrans
> design standards for bike lanes and why bike lanes are somehow worse than
> HOV lanes.

The whole concept of bike lanes is bad.

That said, I think they can reasonably be used on freeways. Elsewhere
they are more appropriately called Bike Reservations.

You keep bringing up a comparison between bike lanes and HOV lanes.
Apparently you have an inability to distinguish differences.

HOV lanes are 12' wide, are used on freeways, are typically (always?)
the left lane (US), are intended to allow their users to pass
congestion, are not mandatory, do not collect debris, and are
universally loved by their users.

Bike lanes are 4' wide, are used on normal streets which is an
inappropriate treatment, are typically the rightmost lane (US), are
intended to allow motorists to pass bicyclists easier while sometimes
stopped motorists block the bike lane, are typically mandatory (if not
mandatory, motorists enforce their use anyway), collect debris, and are
often despised by their intended users.

Wayne

"Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" <[email protected]> writes:

> Bill Zaumen wrote:

> >> But obviously some of them are people lacking enough street smarts to
> >> know that "bicycle lanes" are unequal, second class facilities.
> >>

> > Nice try at changing context from your silliness about India and China.

> Do you deny that many of the "high-tech" jobs that were supposed to
> replace the outsourced manufacturing jobs are also being outsourced to
> China, India and other low wage countries?

Read what I said. Some things can't be outsourced to third-world
countries, for the reasons I gave you. Those countries could, of
course, catch up to us. I'll give you a hint - you won't find the 10
gigabit/second NIC cards coming out of China until they become a
commodity, nor the device drivers for them (the chips typically have
problems that require software 'work arounds', and you need a close
collaboration between hardware and software engineers to get
everything working).

Various new CPUs are designed in the Bay Area and the software groups
that provide OS support. You can look at SUN's recent CPUs with
multiple cores and multiple threads per core as an example. In this
sort of work, you have to develop the hardware and software at the
same time as you need both for a finished product, so heavy use is
made of simulators that allow the software to be tested before the
hardware is ready, and these require an enormous amount of
computation.

> > But, your "unequal, second-class facilities" thing is simply propaganda.
> > As I suggested to you people previously, show what is bad in the Caltrans
> > design standards for bike lanes and why bike lanes are somehow worse than
> > HOV lanes.
> >
> >> Maybe Zaumen doesn't being asked to sit at the back of the bus?

> > Maybe you can try to improve your grammar?

> That is an editing error, not a fundamental mistake in grammar.

It's a grammar error (whether due to bad editing or not) that made the
sentence completely incomprehensible.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

"Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" <[email protected]> writes:

> Bill Zaumen wrote:
> > "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> >> "Bike lanes" and "bike paths" lead motorists to believe that these are
> >> the ONLY places cyclists belong, which makes cycling more dangerous
> >> for cyclists who do not necessarily only want to ride where there are
> >> "special" bicycle farcilities (sic).

> > Mindless Propaganda. Come back when you have something serious to
> > say.

> Whoosh!
>
> Zaumen does not seem to realize that the CVC is nothing more than
> regulations developed by California bureaucrats, and does not
> establish the fundamental principles of right-of-way or how "bicycle
> lanes" affect the attitudes of motorists. His citing the CVC, the way
> fundamentalists cite the religious tract of their preference, as being
> some infallible word from on high that is universally applicable is
> humorous, however.

You do't seem to realize that the CVC is similar to the vehicle code
in most states, and that it contains the rules that all road users
(drivers and bicyclists) should follow.

On Aug 2, 9:38 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> > I saw a bumper sticker today that here is quite revolutionary: SLOWER
> > TRAFFIC KEEP TO THE RIGHT... AVOID ROAD RAGE! That must be a communist
> > attempt at bringing regulation to our roads. We want to zigzag if we
> > please, and drive our SUVs while on the phone if we want, so we can
> > remain a free nation!

> > Rage is part of life in the jungle, and the strong shall survive.
> > Hallelujah!

> People that pass on the right or drive slower than traffic in the left
> lane (reverse for Japan and Commonwealth islands) should have their
> vehicles crushed in a public spectacle.

And should be able to earn the label "terrorist," cause they cause a
lot of destruction, mayhem and death to innocent parties.

On Aug 2, 11:20 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Bill Zaumen wrote:

> >> For now.

> > No, for a very long time to come, as long as the U.S. has a
> > substantial technical edge, and if India and China catch up, their
> > incomes will become comparable to ours.

> > Also, infrastructure is important - when you are running chip
> > simulations that need the largest machines you can get your hands on
> > and that have to run for a day or more (maybe a lot more), you can't
> > get by in a place where there are regular power failures on a weekly
> > or daily basis.

> >> ^^^^^^^^^

> >> Exactly.

> > except it is for as long as those countries are not at the top of the
> > heap in the high-tech world.

> >> Expanded guest worker program, perhaps?

> > We need every smart person we can get, but you'd have to work in
> > the area to know why.

> But obviously some of them are people lacking enough street smarts to
> know that "bicycle lanes" are unequal, second class facilities.
>
> Maybe Zaumen doesn't being asked to sit at the back of the bus?

The street smart poor know that the best place to ride a bike in
safety is... the sidewalk. And that's what they do all the time. They
are not that stupid to ride with the fish out there.

On Aug 2, 11:34 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> > Besides, if "separate but equal" is the law of the land in many areas,
> > particularly applied to those who live beyond walled communities, I
> > don't see why it should apply to bikes and SUVs. They do NOT mix, just
> > as lions and monkeys.

> Some of the monkeys (ok, apes) learned to walk upright and used their
> now free forelimbs to make and hold weapons. The lions learned to stay
> well away from these otherwise slow and weak creatures.\

The lions learned to wait until the monkeys killed each other for them
to have a good lunch. Yep, lions are scavengers too!

On Aug 3, 12:56 pm, Marz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 3, 10:16 am, donquijote1954 <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 2, 6:09 pm, Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > As I don't live in the USA, I

> > Maybe that's why you don't understand what's going on here. Slower
> > vehicles don't have to drive on the right at all, nor should drivers
> > pay be paying attention to driving, simply you get these SUV behemoths
> > whistling past you that leave you shaking in your commitment to ride
> > anymore.

> What?? Please explain what you mean by saying,'nor should drivers pay
> be paying attention to driving.' Because most drivers (in the US) I
> see are paying attention to the road.
>
> I ride most days along side SUV behemoths here in Texas and they've
> not put me or any of my friends off riding. Maybe it's how you ride
> that's causing you too many close encounters with other road users.

They simply are NOT paying attention to a large extent. If you are on
the cell phone you are NOT paying any more attention than if you had a
six pack of beer. And tell MADD that's a good thing.

On Aug 3, 3:01 pm, donquijote1954 <[email protected]> wrote:

> The street smart poor know that the best place to ride a bike in
> safety is... the sidewalk.

That statement is wrong. There have been several studies that
conclusively showed sidewalk cycling to be many times more dangerous
than cycling in the roadway. I know of no studies that show the
opposite.

"Donquijote," don't you think you should research some of these points
before you make more mistaken posts?

> And that's what they do all the time. They
> are not that stupid to ride with the fish out there.

Before you can make a judgement of who or what is stupid, you need to
do the background reading.

Try Google first. If you have trouble locating data, we can give
citations.

- Frank Krygowski

Wayne Pein <[email protected]> writes:

> Bill Z. wrote:
>
> > Wayne Pein <[email protected]> writes:

> >>YOU may ride 2' from edge of pavement, and others may ride 2' from
> >>edge of pavement, but it is not good practice. I don't ride 2' from
> >>edge of pavement.

> > Wayne, stop lying (you misquote me so consistently that lying is the
> > only explanation): I talked about riding 14' from the lane stripe
> > (on the left) of the adjacent traffic lane, which puts you a couple
> > of feet inside the bike lane. You know, two feet from the bike lane
> > stripe, which can be quite far from the curb.

> Are you a moron?
> In a 16' lane, 14' from the lane stripe is 2' from the edge of pavement.

What you are is a liar. For some reason, you refuse to admit that lane
stripe to the left of the rightmost vehicular lane can be far more than
16 feet from a curb. If parking is allowed, bike lanes are typically
a minimum of 12 feet in width 5 feet for the vehicle, 3 feet to clear a
door, and another 4 for the bike and to allow for people parking a
maximum of 18 inches from a curb. If you then ride a foot or two
inside the bike lane, you will have room to clear parked vehicles
safely.

Around here, we also have streets with 6 to 8 foot bike lanes and no
parking allowed in them (e.g., Page Mill Road between El Camino Real
and the Foothill Expressay). If there is a fire or other emergency
during commute hours, when the lanes are filled to capacity and the
streets gridlocked, you then have a chance to let an emergency vehicle
get through.

So, before calling people "morons", I suggest you at least get your
facts straight, if only so you won't look like the fool that you are.

> >>Not me. I typically ride 4' from edge of pavement no matter what my
> >>speed is.

> > More dishonesty from Pein - given the minimum bike lane width, 4'
> > from the edge of the pavement is not outside of the bike lane.

> You are a moron.

Reduced to name calling because you don't like the facts?

> > If you don't care about traffic laws, or at least make a reasonable
> > effort to obey them, then do all of us a favor by not riding a bike
> > and not driving a car.

> Moron. I don't live in CA so I don't care about the CVC!

Make sure you don't visit California, at least not if you intend to
ride a bike, drive a car, or even walk across a street.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

Wayne Pein <[email protected]> writes:

> Bill Z. wrote:
> > Wayne Pein <[email protected]> writes:

> >>Folks, Frank Krygowski actually rides a bike, knows what he is talking
> >>about, and is a straight shooter. I point to bicyclinglife.com for
> >>many writings of Frank. Bill Zauman is a fruit cake.

> > Krygowski may or may not sometimes know what he talks about, but he
> > is
> > one of the most dishonest posters on usenet. I've had quite a few
> > "discussions" with him.

> Zauman, from my current "discussion" with you, I conclude that you are
> a moron. I've had numerous discussions with Frank, and he doesn't
> misinterpret me like you do, or distort what I say, or say anything
> dishonest.

What a liar you are, Pein. You are the person who is distorting
what you are replying to. If you have nice discussions with Krygowski,
it is only because you two agree with each other.

> Over the years I've read hundreds of his posts on usenet
> and have never read anything dishonest. You are a fruit cake. You need
> professional help.

Krygowski is a bald-faced liar, and so are you. Of course, you probably
never disagreed with him on any of his pet peeves. If you did, he'd lie
about you just as he lies about anyone else he disagrees with.

You can look at his dishonest comments about a former disccusion (I even
produced the message ID a day or so ago showing that he dissembled).
Rather than admit the truth, he then tried to accuse me of changing the
subject - anything but admit the truth.

--

Bill Z. wrote:

> Wayne Pein <[email protected]> writes:

>>In a 16' lane, 14' from the lane stripe is 2' from the edge of pavement.

> What you are is a liar.

Moron,

This is my last communication with you because trying to converse with
you is a constantly moving target.

Wayne

[email protected] writes:

> On Aug 3, 3:01 pm, donquijote1954 <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > The street smart poor know that the best place to ride a bike in
> > safety is... the sidewalk.

> That statement is wrong. There have been several studies that
> conclusively showed sidewalk cycling to be many times more dangerous
> than cycling in the roadway. I know of no studies that show the
> opposite.

<http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Library/Accident-Study.pdf> shows that
sidewalk cycling *in the same direction as traffic* has nearly the
same risk as riding on the roadway. See Table 5. For all bicyclists
in the study, the risk riding with traffic on the sidewalk divided by
the risk of riding on the roadway is 0.9 When you break it up by age,
however, you find that both the 17 and under and the 18 and over
catagories have a slightly increased risk when using the sidewalk and
when riding in the same direction as vehicular traffic. The reason is
that the 17 and under group has a significantly lower risk of an
accident than the 18 and over group no matter where they rode, but the
17 and under group was more likely to use a sidwalk.

The reduced risk for the 17 and under group is a bit counterintuitive,
given that by appearances they would seem be less careful than the 18
and older group. In a discussion with one of the authors, I suggested
a hypothesis that would explain the difference of about a factor of 2
(but it would take quite a bit of work to test it): the under 17 group
consists of mostly children who ride back from school before the
evening commute, but are in the morning commute, whereas the 18 and
over group (with a large contingent of Stanford students) has to ride
in both the morning and evening commutes. It is during commute hours
that the risk of a collision with a motor vehicle is highest, primarly
due to the larger number of vehicles on the road at that time. We can
also add a tendency not to use lights at night. That accounts for the
factor of two difference (and the large number of college students in
the area biases the "18 and over" catagory towards people in the late
teens and early 20s).

Where the real risk of sidewalk cycling appears is when riding against
the flow of traffic, and riding against the flow of traffic is far
more prevalent on sidewalks than on the adjacent road. That's where
you get an enhanced risk several times the risk of riding in the
correct direction on the road.

The bottom line is that riding on a sidewalk is not particularly risky
if you go at a speed appropriate for the conditions and if you ride in
the same direction as traffic. Obviously you need to be especially
careful about entering intersections, but the data seems to suggest
that most people who use sidewalks are doing that (the increased risk
is nearly all due to going the wrong way).

> "Donquijote," don't you think you should research some of these points
> before you make more mistaken posts?

Well, obviously Krygowski doesn't read the literature either as
comprehensively as he'd like to pretend. :)

--

Bill Z. wrote:

> What a liar you are, Pein. You are the person who is distorting
> what you are replying to. If you have nice discussions with Krygowski,
> it is only because you two agree with each other.

Moron,

I don't lie: ever. Conversing with you is the most painful experience
I've had in a long time.

Good bye.

Wayne